HELP! My Phantom is not being recognized in Windows 7 - cannot run Assistant software

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Have you plugged direct into the VU yet? Pull the Gray cord from it and plug a USB cable from your computer direct into the VU port.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I bet that gray cord is damaged or something... If not, that VU has to be bad. Kloner, I think they are the same VU, just without the shrinkwrap on them.

kloner

Aerial DP
think you missinterprited me. nothing about a crash. when a chineese kid put your model together it is easy for them to push too hard with the pins not lined up on a connector and bend over a pin so it doesn't sit in the wire right. i've done it myself. you unplug a wire, look at the pins with a flash light so you can really see all three or four pins are straight then slide the wire back on. it just needs one not perfect to stop you like where your at. usually the one on the usb since that's what is affected

When you don't want to send it back for a guy used to working with stuff is to start working on it yourself and figuring it out.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
the pcb under naza is a receiver i guess? has a ppm or whatever. nice little rig, they should make the 550 like thatall those wires need to be pulled out, check the naza connectors aren't bent over from being put together wrong, make sure there all the way seated after that, etc. just a general goin over.

the vu is different than a regular naza uses

Kloner, did you notice, that board is using a form of S-Bus..... now that is interesting, seeing as the radio setup is PPM.

kloner

Aerial DP
i bet it's a ppm like my long range stuff. is the radio link a dji only thing? can you bind a spektrum or futaba to it?

i see the vu back there, maybee it is the same.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
i bet it's a ppm like my long range stuff. is the radio link a dji only thing? can you bind a spektrum or futaba to it?

i see the vu back there, maybee it is the same.

I just seen another image of the VU, it is a little different to the standard ones. I was wondering if the TX and RX was made by Futaba, but I don't think Futaba uses PPM on S-Bus....... Might use another BUS system... Something to look into and research.

phantom4_zpscd58aed5.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
yep, looks like it's dbus as they call it. i bet you can change it between all the modes from the assistant like a naza does. trick little setup. it'd be fun to make a modified long range fpv one

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
yep, looks like it's dbus as they call it. i bet you can change it between all the modes from the assistant like a naza does. trick little setup. it'd be fun to make a modified long range fpv one

Yeah it would, would like to see someone do that...

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Did you figure it out?

-----------------------------
Sent using my fingers on my electronic communicating device via Tapatalk 2

cabojay

Did you register with dji? you have to create a profile. Also you shouldn't have to do anything to the phantom. It's plug and play. Check you tube they just came out with new videos for the phantom.. under DJI I know my buddy Dr.Tim is a tester for DJI and i flew his and he said he charged the battery and flew it within 30 mins of unboxing it. Hope this helps.. Jay

Quietriot

Yes I registered it as requested during the setup process initially.
The fact is however that the phantom should be recognized as some sort of USB device whether you register with DJI or not. But like I said in earlier posts that I may as will just have a plain cable plugged in With nothing at all at the other end.

I am no stranger to loading USB devices on my computer as computer work is how I make my living for over 27 years now. In the end, I returned my phantom to the dealer. I figured roughly 16 hours of trying to figure this crap out is enough. I certainly put in due diligence.

kloner

Aerial DP
qmamczacze, try taking the top off, follow that grey usb cable down to the frame, and unplug the grey caable, slide in your pc usb cable straight to the VU and see if it changes anything. that grey wire is an extension we as normal naza guys don't have......-

Quietriot

Too late, it's now in the hands of the dealer I purchased it from, besides, even if that little 4" cable was the problem (very unlikely as it looks like it's a high quality cable), I still would have returned it for that.

kloner

Aerial DP
read the first word in my post, look up three posts.....

If something like that ruffles the feathers, this hobby is most likely not for you. it gets a lot more complicated than this

Quietriot

OK, I was waiting for this one - always happens eventually when the personal attacks begin simply because I made a decision that someone else may not have. Further, I beg to differ strongly about this hobby "not being for me" just because I returned a defective unit. I have owned and flown more than 250 RC aircraft over a 30 year span including large scale helis, 3D airplanes, sailplanes, float planes, gyro-copters, ultra-lites, and dozens of aircraft of my own design and engineering. Besides, this is like saying "driving may not be for you" because I returned a brand new truck that had some potentially serious problems or simply didn't work as advertised.

I expect that something as expensive as this Phantom should work out of the box and get very nervous if it doesn't. As mentioned, I've flown RC for 30 years now and do a LOT of my own repairs and mods galore, but when it comes to a system that basically has a mind of it's own and could cause some serious issues (property and otherwise) should the electronics not be up to the task or poorly constructed, the responsible and smart thing is to make sure that it arrives 100% functional as designed or return it. Lemons DO exist in every product line - even quality products that DJI is synonymous with. Having said that, cables, etc. do come loose during shipping and that is something I am OK with and of course fix myself but this was not the case with my Phantom - everything was tight and snug. The micro electronics were the issue.

Also, if something as basic as the VU board is bad, or even a simple 4" USB cable what else may come up or be pre-existing. My experience with electronics is that one thing being wrong is usually not the only thing wrong because Quality Control would have caught any problem unless it was passed over entirely for whatever reason or assembled by the second string team. People assemble these things and people are imperfect and have 'off days' like we all do. I don't need this thing flying away because I may have received a lemon, or worse - falling out of the sky and crashing on someones Mercedes or God forbid, some kid a mile away. I've had a 5 meter sailplane go south on me for a time when 1200 ft. up, but it at least it stayed in the air long enough to regain control when the problem was resolved (transmitter antenna issue). However, the glide path is particularly bad on a quad copter should the electronics 'check out' - I play it safe, always have.

Quietriot

Depends on the dealers policy - would prefer a refund and then wait for the next version to come out a few months down the road. New products are always 'buggy' at first.