HELP! My Phantom is not being recognized in Windows 7 - cannot run Assistant software

Quietriot

The strange thing is, I got it to work yesterday for a time. After coming back home later last night and plugging it in - nothing at all - it was like I was plugging in a simple USB cable and there was NOTHING that transpired between that time with either my computer or Phantom.

Quietriot

A real longshot here, but I noticed my transmitter batteries are a bit low (1.4volts per cell) - should that affect whether or not the Assistant Software recognizes the Naza/Phantom?

Quietriot

I was REALLY hoping to avoid the hassle of a return since it would involve up to 2 weeks total turnaround and I'm sure he'll just blame it on the computer anyway since the quad itself is working. I was really was hoping to have a great first experience with my Phantom after reading dozens of great reviews over the past few months.... :-(

kloner

Aerial DP
dunno, I'm just a guy like you

it'd really help if you used another pc.. goto a friends/parents house and try it. if you can't trouble shoot it like that you might hit a run around. it could be one device or driver on your pc causing some sort of problem. sometimes different ports on a pc are usb1, usb2 or usb3 compatible, sometimes hardware plugged in screws up other things. theres no logical explanation for the problem

Is anything else usb based plugged into the pc thats not working?

Quietriot

Thanks, but like I had mentioned twice before in this post, I have tried 3 different PC's and the result was all the same....
and yes, I tested all the USB ports with flash drives, etc. to make sure they were not the problem

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Is there anyone you can send or swap out your VU?

If you are in the USA and you want to send it to me, I can try it out and see if I get the same results as you. You might be without the unit for around a week, but it is better then a few weeks.

Either that or go to gothelirc.com and buy a new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

kloner

Aerial DP
naza has a thing that plugs into it called a VU. it is the thing on the craft you plug the usb cable into....... it also has a status light, the light on naza that tells you whats up

You say theres no VU, i'm saying its the thing you plug the usb cable into. it could be some weird extensions that goto a vu that's not like our regular nazas neither of us have seen.

We haven't had a whole lot of these come through here yet there still kinda new.

tstrike

pendejo grande
View attachment 9730 it's the little board next to the naza, wonder if you need to rebind your transmitter.

Attachments

• phantom.jpg
    phantom.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 334

kloner

Aerial DP
does rcgroups have a phantom thread? alot of times the common problems show up there first, it's gotta big group. it's usually one post that ends up thousands f gs

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
naza has a thing that plugs into it called a VU. it is the thing on the craft you plug the usb cable into....... it also has a status light, the light on naza that tells you whats up

You say theres no VU, i'm saying its the thing you plug the usb cable into. it could be some weird extensions that goto a vu that's not like our regular nazas neither of us have seen.

We haven't had a whole lot of these come through here yet there still kinda new.

Kloner, check this picture out..

assistant1_zpsb70625f7.jpg

And inside..

inside1_zpsbb03916c.jpg

Pictures courtesy of rcgroups.com More found here.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1811071#post23839219

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Pull the lid off, make sure that gray cable is plugged into the VU behind the Naza, it is possible it came loose in transit or in a crash.

Ok, it still has a VU, the VU is the LED at the front or back? The grey cable is a USB ext cable and it plugs into the VU.... see this picture.

inside5_zps18e5b503.jpg

Here is what I would do, to see if the gray cable (The one crossing the Naza) is the culprit remove the top of the unit (warranty) if any will probably be void from this point on. Pull the gray cable out of the VU and plug a USB cable direct into it, it is a standard mini USB plug on the VU. Now power up and see if it works, it could just be a loose USB cable, so try this first.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
the pcb under naza is a receiver i guess? has a ppm or whatever. nice little rig, they should make the 550 like thatall those wires need to be pulled out, check the naza connectors aren't bent over from being put together wrong, make sure there all the way seated after that, etc. just a general goin over.

the vu is different than a regular naza uses

Quietriot

Everything on my Phantom looks exactly as the pics show. This has never been flown, so crash scenario is out. The problem is not with connections as all have been thoroughly checked - besides, if there were a problem in this area, the phantom would no react to transmitter inputs etc. which is all good. I have tested this without the props and everything is great other than the fact it will NOT communicate with the Naza Assistant no matter what I try!!??! (going on 11 hours now)