HELP! My Phantom is not being recognized in Windows 7 - cannot run Assistant software

Quietriot

Brand new phantom, brand new Windows 7 PC - but neither are talking to one another. I followed the driver install exactly as instructed with the USB plugged in (tried all 5 ports on my laptop, btw) and the Phantom powered up before loading the driver but to no avail. Each time I try to install the driver I get a message that says under the status bar of the "Completing the Device Driver Installation Wizard window": "Not needed (No device for update present)" I am getting no messages from Windows even when plugging in my Phantom - like I was plugging in a cable by itself (speaking of which, I've tried 5 different USB extension cables to rule that one out - even plugged the Phantom directly with its stubby little cable directly into my USB ports)

I have worked on this issue for going on 5 hours now trying everything I can think of, anyone have any suggestions other than returning my Phantom? I realize I may not need the Assistant Software but there are a few minor things I would like to adjust and calibrate, etc.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 647

kloner

Aerial DP
i've never seen this but i'm not a phantom guy, DJI guy though

is there a light flashing? what color?

have you tried plugging the usb cable into a different port on the pc? like if your using the front, go to the back. if it's up towards a top or center, try the opposite side. I've had weird conflicts with certain hardware plugged into the pc in the wrong spots.....

tstrike

pendejo grande
wonder if it's like the naza where they say not to let the driver autoload...
Assistant Software Software and Driver Installation
GUI
1526374 8 9
STEP1: Please download assistant software and driver from our website. Then decompress.
STEP2: Connect MC and PC via USB cable, power on MC.
STEP3: If operating system tries to install driver automatically, cancel it.
STEP4: Open folder
DJI_USB_Driver, follow the Driver Installation Manual strictly to finish installation.

Quietriot

OK, did that by going into the Source64 folder and running the driver install from there. Now it looks like it is recognizing my Phantom (I think only because I'm not getting the 'device not found' error any longer) but now my Assistant Program doesn't recognize my Phantom, grrrrrrrrrr....

btw, there is no Driver Installation Manual in the download folder - looked high and low for it.

kloner

Aerial DP
when you open these up and see the flight controller, does it have servo wire plugs or is all a bunch of proprietary pcb and no real naza look to it? i'm curious if any of the usb part of it has come unplugged somehow? is there any ribon cables in there that might not be pressed in all the way?

Quietriot

I haven't opened mine up as I don't have the proper allan key but yes, the Phantom has the same Naza-M that's in the Flamewheel models, etc.

kloner

Aerial DP
the part they call a VU, the thing with a light and usb port are known to fail/never work..... it's what sounds like is happening. Whod you buy this from?

wonder if yours uses the naza VU like the rest, should but i'd double check

green light solid when it's hooked up means it's in motor cutoff mode and sees the pc. This could be the pc, got any others to try it on? a slow green flash is gps mode ready to power up.......... does this thing even need to see assistant to fly?

Quietriot

I bought it from a hobby dealer out of state - they sell a ton of these units with never this problem. The green light is blinking, not solid. These will fly without the Assistant Program, but for some reason, the IOC is shut off out of the box and the motor shutdown needs to be changed from factory as well. Don't want to fly this until I can look at the Naza CM to see what I can expect via the Assistant.

kloner

Aerial DP
get a wrench and make sure the wires are plugged into naza all the way

i haven't seen this pop up here and i'm here every day. it's not a normal thing you got going on

Quietriot

OK, will try that. Yes, I have tried installing on 3 different PC's - so I think the issue is the Naza itself.
btw, the driver installed without the USB plugged in at all!! Didn't think it was supposed to be able to do that - though it didn't make any difference as it still does not recognize my Phantom.

Quietriot

Cracked her open and all is well - fittings, wiring, plugs, all electronics are all solidly connected (looks to be a normal Naza-M installed, btw - white with red label) - sooooo, anyone have an idea how to get this issue resolved? Getting really frustrating and it's pushing 6 hours of trying to figure this out.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
It is normal when you plug into the Naza (Drivers or not) the led should go constant green. Did you try another cable by chance? I have seen USB cables go bad. The cable I use is the one that came with my Samsung G3 Phone, works out great as it is nice and long.

Quietriot

No USB conflicts - and per my original posting I have tried 3 computers and several USB extensions as well as plugging the tiny NAZA cable directly into my USB ports

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I would now suspect a faulty VU or Naza... Send the VU to someone to test it or get a replacement for around 18 bucks.