Why chose the DJI F550 over the F450..??

boiko

Why choose the DJI F550 over the F450..??

Looking at the DJI F450 vs F550 - what are the real advantages of the F550 over the F450?

Some questions:

Max Payload - Is it the only advantage and is it that much more significant?

Crash Resistant - 4 vs 6 motors on the F550 doesn't seem to make it any more crash resistant in case of a prop/motor failure..

Stability in Flight - If both are equipped with a NAZA FC, is the F550 any more stable in flight then the F450?

Extra Cost - With the F550, you must pay an extra initial purchase cost and repair/replacement part cost, in the event of a crash or part failure - worth the cost and upkeep?

Thanks,
-mike-

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

I have both. I personally like the F450 better. I think that its flight characteristics are better. For the F550, I use 4S lipos that are more expensive. I use cheap 3S 2650 lipos on my F450 and get 8:30 flight times. I use my F450 primarily for FPV. I use my F550 for fun but it is somewhat redundant. F450, F550, S800 and MK Hexa; they all have their place. If you are new to multi rotors, I would pick the least expensive option and make up the difference in spare parts. You will break props, maybe arms, and you may toast a motor. It happens. The question is will you wait a few minutes to replace the parts or wait weeks to get replacements? To do the same with the F550, it will cost you on top of the kit. With the F450, you are adding extras. You have an option, buy a F450 frame and a F550 kit. Best of both worlds and you can fly both. I just disassembled a F450 and reassembled it to a F550 in about an hour. I am slow but I like my solder joints to shine.

mailman35

i agree with ed, the 450 is quite a bit more fun to fly, i havent been able to get the hex to do all the same stuff that the quad can do. and i do the same as i run my 450 at 3s and the hex at 4s. i just puton a set of 1250kv motors on the quad and its got alot of kick now. so fun to fly.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

I love it, now the Chinese are cloning their own stuff and having a price war! ;)

If this keeps up soon they'll be giving it away, the only thing that isn't getting any less expensive are the flight controllers, at least so far. Probably going to take them a little longer to reverse engineer and clone the electronics but I have no doubt they will eventually.

Ken

NFC

I have both F450 and F550 since yesterday : I made my first F550 flight yesterday and found it more stable than my F450, especially versus wind.
This test flight was done with default gains, and with a 4S 5300 mAH lipo. However, the F550 has more inertia in its movement, at least with the default gains.

I find the F550 better for calm and fluid flights and the F450 better for fun flights. I however need more flights to confirm this...

View attachment 4209

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
    DSC_0015.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 929
  • DSC_0015_DxO800.jpg
    DSC_0015_DxO800.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,027

Kilby

I think the real underlying question here is why would you chose a hexa over a quad. They are just different tools for different jobs. NFC hit it pretty much right on the head when he described the flight characteristics. The hexa is going to give you a much smoother docile flight that is better suited for APV. The quad is going to be a little zippier and more fun for sport/FPV flying. Apples and orages really, not one over the other.

-Terry

boiko

I have both F450 and F550 since yesterday : I made my first F550 flight yesterday and found it more stable than my F450, especially versus wind.
This test flight was done with default gains, and with a 4S 5300 mAH lipo. However, the F550 has more inertia in its movement, at least with the default gains.

I find the F550 better for calm and fluid flights and the F450 better for fun flights. I however need more flights to confirm this...

View attachment 5773

What landing gear and gimbal are you using on your F550?

Thanks,
-mike-

boiko

I think the real underlying question here is why would you chose a hexa over a quad. They are just different tools for different jobs. NFC hit it pretty much right on the head when he described the flight characteristics. The hexa is going to give you a much smoother docile flight that is better suited for APV. The quad is going to be a little zippier and more fun for sport/FPV flying. Apples and orages really, not one over the other.

-Terry

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this subject.

As someone who is about to start into the world of multi-rotors...I think the F450 is the best place to start for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Now that I've decided to go the F450 route...I have to decide on if it's better to just buy the complete F450 ARF w/NAZA or to maybe pickup the DJI F450 frame, DJI NAZA, DJI 30A ESC and BEC/LED...and hand pick the motors and props. This to avoid the much talked about prop and sometime, motor failure issues. What is any are the plus/minus to not using the DJI motors and props...?

I'll be running a Spektrum DX7/HK Orange w/sat radio-receiver combo..

Your thoughts as always..are much appreciated.

Thanks,
-mike-

Kilby

Those props are garbage, to be completely honest. The basic design of it is just flawed in an attempt to lock users into their own proprietary parts.

If you are comfortable with it, I would suggest going with a motor prop combo of your own choice. If you don't want to get your hands dirty, the stock ones will work to get you in the air, but you will someday change those props. At that time, you will wish you had done it from the get go since you will be reaming out props to fit their oddball motor hub size.

Just my 2 cents.

-Terry

Kilby

More so than the hub size is the hub shape. The flat spots are the weak point that make those props break, just like the XAircraft props (same bad design).

I can't speak 100% on the size of the hub, but i was of the understanding that they were the same as the XA's (8.13xxx mm aka oddball). You might be right though, they may be a straight 8 mm on the DJI motors. If that's the case, then it's not so bad. You can get props with a standard 8mm hub. I'm purely speaking on my experience with the XA motors/props which I was told are the same size (not 100% on) and shape (absolutely sure of).

-Terry

Kilby

Well that's good. At least DJI did that right so it's easy to find replacements. The props are still crap though. ;-)

boiko

I know the DJI props have been an issue for many people....but what about the DJI motors. I've heard some people have had some problems with the motors themselves (ie. magnets, balance, etc..)

- Going with third party motors for the F450, is there a specific size/KV rating (ie don't exceed 1200KV for instance) I should be looking for?
- Do all motors in the correct size range play nicely with the stock DJI 30A ESC's and BEC/LED?
- Is the rule of thumb roughly 8" props for Sport flying and 10" props for AP/FPV flying?

Thanks,
-mike-