XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

kloner

Aerial DP
if you guys have a frame that can slip absolutely pin them with bolts. It'll get you some day left to twist.

mediaguru

I'm only about 3kg AW. About 1/2 of yours :) But I think that's with the smaller 5100mah battery. The 8A battery is obviously heavier - maybe just over 3kg?

If I ran one battery I'd reduce it down to 11 pounds or so. Each of these 5000's I'm running is 1.7 pounds (788 grams). I plan to move up to a 10,000 or some other single battery otherwise I have to have two sets of telemetry for my battery cells.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If I ran one battery I'd reduce it down to 11 pounds or so. Each of these 5000's I'm running is 1.7 pounds (788 grams). I plan to move up to a 10,000 or some other single battery otherwise I have to have two sets of telemetry for my battery cells.

The next build will be 6S and will definitely have some of the larger - single packs. The battery weight adds up quick. I bet loner here is dealing with 22 amps :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What frame are you running?

The current frame is the 680pro. I have still not torn it apart to add a squid to see if this is what the issue is with superx and the motor #6 issue. Apparently the integrated PDB has flaky copper and various length runs which the superx (and possibly other FCs) doesn't like.

The next build will be a Vulcan frame with KDE electronics. Whole different level. It's a level I wasn't totally into paying for - but at this point I'm ready to stop trying to rub the rock hoping it turns into a diamond :)

mediaguru

The current frame is the 680pro. I have still not torn it apart to add a squid to see if this is what the issue is with superx and the motor #6 issue. Apparently the integrated PDB has flaky copper and various length runs which the superx (and possibly other FCs) doesn't like.

The next build will be a Vulcan frame with KDE electronics. Whole different level. It's a level I wasn't totally into paying for - but at this point I'm ready to stop trying to rub the rock hoping it turns into a diamond :)

Hah I hear that. My rock which I've been rubbing hoping for a diamond is a Phantom. So irritated with the crap quality of the GoPro I decided to built the T960 to carry a good camera. That's my diamond. Ironically this week I shot the best video ever with my phantom. Absolutely perfect with no vibes or artifacts. I think it know's it is close to being upstaged.

mediaguru

Been working on my gimbal. Got a NEX now, and doing test flights. Had bad jello, then changed to softer jello-balls. Big difference. Last flight had more jello though in some wind, probably because I had my gain turned down by accident.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_3818.jpg
    DSC_3818.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 239

mediaguru

I tried this settings and didn't get any throw in the negative at all. So I tried -20 to 20 and now the logs show close to -100 to +100 with zero at the middle detent. I'm not sure why we would get such different settings but that's the best I've had it so thanks for your suggestion.

Took me a while to get around to trying this but BINGO. I set my range to -20 and +20 and the center at 1530. The G position when centered now shows as 0% on the log. Either side is roughly to 100% give or take a few percentage points.

I bumped my gain up to 1.2 tonight and did a test flight. Looked and sounded good, but then again there was nearly no wind. Checking the vibration levels and they were still quite bad and the video was full of vibes. Oddly enough, I had NO video vibes when going straight up or straight down. Only vibes when moving laterally. Any thoughts on that?

fltundra

I had NO video vibes when going straight up or straight down. Only vibes when moving laterally. Any thoughts on that?

That's because rpm at hover is different then when climbing or descending. You need to balance each motor at hover rpm with the prop mounted. That's where the majority of vibs will be.... I use the Lazer and mirror on the wall trick after I've balanced my props on the durobro and top flite balancers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYxYMczkvg

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Got a few flights on my X8 with SuperX. (I have a small lead bar strapped to the gimbal to simulate the weight of the camera.

Flew great. used 1.2 across the board and .9 for height.

Might drop it to 1.1 we will see.

Rig flew awesome though. No complaints!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 3.24.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 3.24.14 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 302
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 3.26.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-09 at 3.26.21 PM.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 466

kloner

Aerial DP
I like to see just a tad shake and for it to leave,,,, if it sets in and builds your way over gained.....

I tried mine all over the place just to see what it did, on my big hex too low and it really got "wobbly" and unstable too low when it'd hit wind. Mine wound up 1.2 on all but altitude and that's at 1 or 1.1, forget where it landed. 20% on the dial in the superX blackbox G channel

fltundra

I like to see just a tad shake and for it to leave,,,, if it sets in and builds your way over gained.....

I tried mine all over the place just to see what it did, on my big hex too low and it really got "wobbly" and unstable too low when it'd hit wind. Mine wound up 1.2 on all but altitude and that's at 1 or 1.1, forget where it landed. 20% on the dial in the superX blackbox G channel
I been flying it for a while at 1.0 on pitch and roll and .9 on hgt and yaw, but have the pot gain normaly in neg setting so i tried .9 and see an improvement. Thanks for responding so fast. :tennis:

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
When i got mine going Drew was pretty confident that the G gain needed to be less than 25% and in a positive setting. that dictates how high you can turn up the main gains from what i can tell. cause i had mine down at .9 for a bit, main gain up towards 75% and it just wasn't the same, but the rig had an esc issue so i may have been seeing more of that than actual gain response. You can really see a difference in them graphs in black box, the first few show all about how the unit is looking at the gain settings.

mediaguru

When i got mine going Drew was pretty confident that the G gain needed to be less than 25% and in a positive setting. that dictates how high you can turn up the main gains from what i can tell. cause i had mine down at .9 for a bit, main gain up towards 75% and it just wasn't the same, but the rig had an esc issue so i may have been seeing more of that than actual gain response. You can really see a difference in them graphs in black box, the first few show all about how the unit is looking at the gain settings.

What does that all mean? My last two flights have been with all gains at 1.2, and finally the G knob is at dead zero on my taranis.

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, 0-25% g gain is the goal to set the knob to, then I raised my gains in the superX app thats in the controller to 1.2 ish.... any lower than that in that rig makes it super unstable, in fact after the last gig i might raise my ail/ele to 1.3 just for wind and drop the atti gain accordingly to dial it back in. We got in 8-12knots on a river covered in bridges so it was ultra choppy air and it was just a tad too loose

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What does that all mean? My last two flights have been with all gains at 1.2, and finally the G knob is at dead zero on my taranis.

I finally got my Vulcan hex in the air with the superx. I started with 1.2 on all but height - which is at .8. This was Sleepy's suggestion from an old post (thanks Sleepy!). I also followed Kloner's advice about tuning/starting with the gain knob at 20%. First flight yesterday (short) seemed rock solid. Another couple batts today showed slightly more wobble/sloppy over correction in less wind than yesterday. I upped the gain knob a bit - didn't improve, seemed better at the 20% mark.

Im realizing that I'm tuning the superx based on my experience with MultiWii PIDs, which is probably a disservice. Is there a link to a comprehensive tuning how-to? I feel I've seen many posts about tuning, but they are often vague and using various terminology - and I've never settled on one that shows exactly what issues to be looking for, and then exactly how to correct issues.

For instance: what exactly is the height adjustment doing? Also, would any adjustment correct a drift in attitude mode, or is this simply a function of CoG?

mediaguru

Well big news today. Moving my gimbal to the middle of the COG and batteries to the top of the bird made THE difference in my vibes and performance. Most vibes are .2 or less and the video has NO wobbles or jello. Once in a while the props or arms show up in the image, so perhaps I need to drop the gimbal down a few inches. Since I had to move the batteries to the top I had to get rid of the dome. Also got rid of the two larger battery mounts, extra cabling, and an FrSky GPS telemetry module I've never gotten to work.

mediaguru

Followup to last post. Had a great flight last night which produced nearly flawless video in some aggressive flying. But upon examination of the bird at my desk, I noticed on arm is slipping. Grounded until further notice. May need to pin the arms somehow or epoxy/glue them. Suggestions welcome.