New Build HexaCrafter 1100L Heavy Lift

Mojave

This New Build of a HexaCrafter 1100L is going to be a slow project. Currently multirotors are not my business but I would like to explore the possibility – and here I am. I have started some phases of this project so I thought I might as well get my introduction and project goals out in the open. As I make progress I will revive the thread and seek advice.

Initially I looked at HexacCrafter frames late in 2013 and was thinking about going to an XY 8 style frame to lift my digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera for still photography of landscapes and possibly other projects. I found the forum because my curiosity was piqued due to a series of events: I wanted to get a better vantage point for my photography; I was frustrated with all of the buildings in my line of sight as I tried to photograph the wild fires in the Spring Mountains in the late summer of 2013; later I was on a cross country trip and stopped in Manhattan Kansas at the Konza Prairie Biological Station. I saw some people flying a multirotor helicopter and filming the tall grass prairie. I came to the multirotor forum during my searches, then started to make inquiries.

Andrew Raines (HexaCrafter) was very patient with his responses to my inquiries. I let him know that I wanted to get one of his frames but I would build a DJI F550 first to get some experience building my first multirotor hexacopter. I bought a kit to build and have had a lot of fun honing a new skill set (and remembering high school electronics class) and learning the language of remote control aircraft that i try not to take for granted. In February 2014 I contacted Andrew again and we started to discuss the build. I also spoke with Kloner and got his input.

Currently I am a biologist and work on power infrastructure projects, to help with compliance (solar power), and also assist with restoration of habitat after these large scale projects are completed. I would like to be able to integrate these skills with aerial photography staged from multirotor platforms.

My list or multirotor requirements:
- Ability to lift a Canon 5D or 1D
- A good gimbal but at this time my concentration is still photography with a secondary interest in video
- Ability to switch from a first person view (FPV) to look through my main DSLR to position the shots for matching panoramic segments and framing
- Retractable landing gear to lower the drag and yes, the ‘coolness’ factor
- Ability to run the system from one or two radios (camera operator)
- Relatively easily transportable

I decided to go with the HexaCrafter 1100L hexacopter using T-motor U7s. The frame is 43.5 inches from spindle to spindle or 46.5 inches (1.18 m) in diameter (from the tip of the motor mount to the opposite mount)

It took me a while to get all the parts together and this is what I currently have decided on:
- HexaCrafter 1100L Frame, Battery Extension Plates and Power Distribution set-up from HexaCrafter including six T-Motor 80A ESCs
- Six T-Motor U7 490kV motors and 2 spares
- T-motor propeller sets of 18 inch and will purchase 16 inch set later.
- PhotoHigher AV200 IDD and Pan Kit pre-assembled (mostly) at the factory
- AlexMos Bascam32 – 3axis controller for the AV200 IDD
- Aeronavics XM Landing Gear and Gear Rail Assembly Retractable Ti - Extended
- DJI A2 +iOSD II + Datalink 2.4G BT Combo kit (now I am nervous about the A2)
- Futaba 8FG Extra Radio for camera person
- Stratosnapper 2 RC camera release and accessories
- Gens Ace 10 amp and 5.3 amp 6S batteries with XT90 connectors
- Progressive RC Charger kit in Case (iCharger 308 + Mean Well 1500 24 volt power supply)

I still need the video transmitter and FPV camera kit and other items to fill out the final project. Suggestions form people on the forum are welcome.
View attachment 18290

Attachments

• HC 1100L layout IMG_6571.jpg
    HC 1100L layout IMG_6571.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 359

Mauronic

I have an 800 and love it. Andrew is a great guy who provides unbeatable support. Look forward to seeing your build.

bensid54

I see you have a Futaba 8fg extra radio for the camera person, what do you plan on using for the main controller? Sounds like you are going first class on this build, so that being the case I suggest a Futaba radio with a minimum of 12 channels. Naza control systems seem to work without a problem when linked Futaba systems.

Mojave

I have an 800 and love it. Andrew is a great guy who provides unbeatable support. Look forward to seeing your build.

Thanks - agreed - Andrew has been very helpful. Today I am soldering the bullet connectors on the T-motor T80A 400 Hz ESCs and the motor wires. I choose to use XT60 bullet connectors because they have some extra holding power than the ones I could purchase (I tried several venders). Unfortunately the only way that I know to procure these is to break them out of the fittings (if someone knows how to get them without the fittings I'd like to know).

I want to make this build easily broken down so I can remove the arms entirely and put it in a suit case or stow the arms separately. I have also set it up to fold as HexaCrafter has designed - I just added a bit more flexability. The engineering that went into the kit is sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojave

I see you have a Futaba 8fg extra radio for the camera person, what do you plan on using for the main controller? Sounds like you are going first class on this build, so that being the case I suggest a Futaba radio with a minimum of 12 channels. Naza control systems seem to work without a problem when linked Futaba systems.

When I started here I read and studied the forum and spoke to some venders and looked what was being offered with the professional kits. I decided to get the Futaba T14SG for my F550 and future builds; the future is now at hand with this build. I had not been into RC aircraft in the past so I was a clean slate. I know that I can program this radio to control most of what I need. Seeing and reading professional MR operators I know that having one person concentrate on flying and another on capturing images I often a benefit; that is what the 8FG is for.

bensid54

Thanks for the info and it sure looks like you are making all the right moves, good luck with your build! I'm looking forward to seeing some footage I'm sure it will be very high quality work.

Mojave

Calibrating T-motor ESCs on an A2

Wow - I would like to thank Chris and the contributors here: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?18301-A2-ESC-Calibration
and Quinton and the the contributors to his thread: http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ng-up-new-A2/page2&highlight=Throttle+mapping

Thanks a lot everyone.

If anyone is ever looking for the manual for T-motor ESCs I found this: http://fpvmanuals-1997231222.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com/graphics/Tiger-ESC-Manual.pdf I think it is pretty standard, maybe they are all the same; I wonder if a third party makes the T80A and other Tiger Motor labeled ESCs?

Once I got the refresher on mapping by taking that oft repeated advice: "RTFM" (which I followed with a video confirmation) - mapping channel 10 on my Futaba 14SG was easy. Then I temporarily mapped Channel 10 to F1 - F4 (D1 - D4 in the assistant) on my A2 Flight Controller. Then I calibrated the throttle on the first four T-Motor T80A EScs and repeated the procedure on the last 2 ESCs. Then correcting the spin on my hexacopter motors was quick and I could continue with my S-L-O-W build. I tested the motors a bit and those T-motor U7s sound sweet. Vacation next week will pull me off the project a bit - more later.