Interacting with the FAA

ProfEngr

Seems like the FAA getting involved will just take the fun out of it all. I have a cousin that got his commercial license and I have no clue how he has any fun in a Cessna with all the stuff to worry about. Guess full-scale is a mentality apart from mine. Would be nice if everyone held to the premise that our freedoms end at each others' noses.

F

fengshuidrone

As purely a model flyer with no intention of violating any rules related to the registered hobby/model flyer that I will be after the 21st, should I have a reason to expect some kind of interaction with an FAA official? Because if people like me start getting visits for no obvious reason other than the fact that we registered, there is going to be some hell to pay to calm us down. It is reminiscent of Nazi Germany when the government shows up at your door because you took part in a govt. registration program. It's people like me who will vote these goons out of office. It's people more extreme than me (and they are out there) who will be influenced by their govt. to incite violence in response to tactics like that should they start.

Last edited:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'm not saying they'll come to your house for no reason, i'm saying if you're at an event or out flying with a group for whatever reason, if an Inspector happens to pay you a visit, there's a good way to handle it and a bad way. if you did happen to do something wrong and they need to come find you to ask you about it, there's a good way to handle it and a bad way.

it's something I'd guess nobody has really thought much about so I thought I'd throw it out there for everyone to consider.

Old Man

As purely a model flyer with no intention of violating any rules related to the registered hobby/model flyer that I will be after the 21st, should I have a reason to expect some kind of interaction with an FAA official? Because if people like me start getting visits for no obvious reason other than the fact that we registered, there is going to be some hell to pay to calm us down. It is reminiscent of Nazi Germany when the government shows up at your door because you took part in a govt. registration program. It's people like me who will vote these goons out of office. It's people more extreme than me (and they are out there) who will be influenced by their govt. to incite violence in response to tactics like that should they start.

Realistically there's no reason for the model/hobby flyer to have any interaction with the FAA. The only way the FAA would come a'knockin' was if they received a complaint from someone. That someone would most likely be a local LEA since the FAA sent a memo out to all LEA's earlier this year describing how they would like them to interact with the FAA should they encounter people they feel were violating the law or flying recklessly. OTH, it would not be a bad idea to maintain a list of where and when you were doing any flying just in case someone else did a dirty deed that caused them to look in your general direction. As small as the tail numbers will be on our stuff whoever does the reporting will have to have some might fine vision.

The larger issue will be in educating the LEA's and their representatives. I've already been approached by officers from a state agency asking about basically what was right and what was wrong, and how to deal with the wrong if and when they encountered it. So those that fly responsibly and understand how to do that, if you happen to know people that are cops or similar take a moment to strike up a friendly conversation about what you do and be prepared to state the differences between the good guys and the bad guys. In all likelihood your conversation will be the first they've had about multirotor operations and some of them are really interested in getting into it themselves. There's not much to it really, 400' max altitude, maintain line of sight, don't put others or their property at risk, right of way to manned aviation, steer clear of towered airports unless first having a conversation with them, and don't fly for hire without a 333 waiver.

An interesting side benefit is you'll find you became their "go to" guy for further info, you'll make a friend that might end up very beneficial, and may end up teaching a few of them how to fly their own stuff.

Bartman

Just deleted three posts. I understand that there is a surplus of emotions running around the internet right now but we're not going to let the site go to hell as a result. If that's the direction it's going to go then I'll just shut it all down now and move on.

We're better than that.

ProfEngr

Yeah, I'm trying to express my opinions/feelings on the matter in a mature way (as opposed to a manure way:rolleyes:). That being said, if a mod deems my emanations to be odiferous then please feel free to educate me on my lack of manners. I tend to spout off a lot in real life to friends and family, but will eventually mellow after I hit the 3rd or 4th stage of acceptance.

I would rather that Bart NOT feel the need to pack up his toys and leave.:)

Bartman

I can only keep fighting for so long to keep things together while the FAA keeps trying to break it all down. if we're going to come unglued then that'll be the straw that breaks this camel's back.

thanks for being so understanding Prof.!

ProfEngr

I can only keep fighting for so long to keep things together while the FAA keeps trying to break it all down. if we're going to come unglued then that'll be the straw that breaks this camel's back.

thanks for being so understanding Prof.!

Sounds like I should be glad I wasn't following the thread closely.

I like to believe that I'm super-easy to get along with most of the time. Life's too short to get miffed over small stuff. I may come across as a jerk sometimes (actually been told that), but it's unintentional 99.9% of the time. I work around a group that if they aren't giving you a hard time they're probably mad at you. Sometimes it rubs off. :oops: Anyway, there's my OT post for the thread.

Mojave

Just deleted three posts. I understand that there is a surplus of emotions running around the internet right now but we're not going to let the site go to hell as a result. If that's the direction it's going to go then I'll just shut it all down now and move on.

We're better than that.
Bart - thanks for catching those posts - I do think that this is a valuable topic.

Old Man

Long time ago I filed an ASR after Approach advised I might have clipped the edge of the old L.A. TCA. The reply was kept cordial and I never heard another word about it. However, times have changed and I definitely agree with saying nothing without counsel present now.