How do you measure the temperatures and what piece of equipment do you use?

Mojave

I have seen a fair amount of reference to motor or ESC temperatures. I would like to know how the multirotor community measures these temperatures? Do any of you calibrate your heat measuring devices?

- Brand name and model would be helpful, along with your satisfaction of the unit.

Cheers!

Mojave

Thermometer Recommendations

Thanks HexaCrafter. Anyone else have any infrared thermometers that they would recommend?

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
A simple pistol style with both C & F..
Something lke this...
http://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-AR550-Mini-Infrared/dp/B000MX5Y9C
That's what I use, too, although my ESCs (Mikrokopter) have temperature logging that's way more accurate. By the time you're on the ground, it's often too late to capture anything meaningful. I will sometimes bust out the thermometer if one of my motors feels really hot (in practice they're generally cool to the touch nowadays).

I have seen a fair amount of reference to motor or ESC temperatures. I would like to know how the multirotor community measures these temperatures? Do any of you calibrate your heat measuring devices?

- Brand name and model would be helpful, along with your satisfaction of the unit.

Cheers!

Spektrum radios offer a thermocouple with their telemetry and on my large multi's I place it in the Velcro under my battery.
I just watch for anything above the ambient temperature. Here that is often above 90 degrees.
As for motors and esc's I use the pistol infrared thermometer.