Hoverfly HF GPS Functiionality vs DJI NAZA M

I'm on the fence here. I really want to buy the HF GPS but I just put together a NAZA M system and really like the gps related bells and whistles. I own and fly three HFP boards and haven't found anything close to the solid feel of that board - it's still my go-to for critical LOS flying. That said, I am a tool user and the NAZA gps related tools are a big help IMO. As an example, they allowed me to finally put on fpv goggles and keep them on for an entire flight because when I let go of the stick it stayed put in stiff wind - not a 10' to 30' radius but a 12" radius - incredible PH. I also use carefree on the NAZA, and I know HF's gps board has that, but so far there has been no positive or negative feedback on the quality of that feature on the Hoverfly gps boards. Return to home on NAZA is also incredible - lands in the EXACT spot it took off when transmitter is turned off every time even in wind. I'd like to know how the HF GPS stack up to that at this point in time.

In sum, is the present board physically comparable to the NAZA and all that is needed is algorithm? Then I would buy the board and wait for the updates. Or does the NAZA have superior electronics and thus HF will need to put out a new board to catch up?

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
I second all the above. I have the GPS. It's "ok" but occasionally gives me a little scare. I soooooo much want it to fly like you described the NAZA. I'm really rooting for the HoverFly people. It's just been so quiet. I'm not sure if I'm some sort of a knucklehead and not getting the performance everyone else is getting. In any case.... Please HoverFly... Throw us a crumb. Whatcha got going?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The Hoverfly GPS board itself is capable enough it's just that the firmware isn't far enough along to really make the performance match up to the NAZA. The carefree feature works very well provided you have a clean installation with minimal mag interference.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

part141

Here is some positive feedback for carefree mode... It works great and I love it. I use it when not flying FPV / goggles.

Razzil

Earl, if your on the fence, you're there for a good reason ... DJI is better hahah

From my experience ... and my opinion ... the GPS functionality of the HF doesn't even compare to the DJI .. and HF lost me a long time ago ... sorry If I've offended anyone.
Don't get me wrong, the feel of the HF was something to its own ... I loved it .... but I love the DJI feel 10 fold now.
I got sick and tired of waiting for a constant reliable dead on result feature set. Sure they are growing, but it's no excuse.

When I use GPS features, I don't want to feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette with my MR, hoping to god it doesn't fall from the sky ... as it has for multiple users.
It has happened to me numerous times, and in each case I was lucky enough to recover and not smash it to a million pieces ... but that feeling ... lost me.
Shortly after I switched from HF to DJI, a well known experienced member here, that I look up to for his opinion ... crashed his XY8 or X8 by using the GPS features .. so it's not just me going crazy.

People aren't giving HF enough bad credit in my opinion ... you hear more DJI problems, because the market is like Microsoft and Apple.
Once they start getting more bad credit, the products will improve ... because they have to.

Earl, as like you ... I like flying FPV and when I let go the sticks for any reason, I want to know, that its sitting there in space where I left it ... DJI answered that one, above and beyond.

IMHO ... I'd take the $450 and go with the newer Naza V2 GPS.

I've been wanting to rant on HF for awhile, but I just let it be. Sorry for hijacking your questions, but just thought I'd share my experience with the HF GPS.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
There is no question that DJI's GPS is superior (when it works). The other big complaint I have with hoverfly's setup is the size and cost of all the boards. If you are planning on putting it in a small quad like your folding H, I would think the Naza would be ideal. Having said this, I still fly the Hoverfly pro and have just taken off the GPS board as it never got used. I am planning on putting it back on a long range Y6 build but it does make me nervous. there is no external lighting on HF and it can take up to 3-4 minutes for satellite acquisition. So if you have a opaque dome, you have a guessing game. I did like how the RTH feature worked on the HF gps though. it was very smooth and didnt do anything funky. it was not part of a failsafe function which I liked. But because the holding circle was 30-50' I would need a very large area to come home in. Bart feels he has the answer with his board extensions, so maybe thats the ticket. Hopefully they figure it out. I'm not sure what they are up to these days.

Yeah, I'll need more than a good carefree mode to make me reach for my moth eaten wallet :highly_amused:. Hopefully they get it sorted out. I'm still a big fan but time marches on and in this field it seems to be marching extremely fast at the moment.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, I dont understand why Hoverfly can't do some of the things the others can successfully, but the one thing I really like and the only reason i stick with them is because the unit flies so nice and buttery and has been very reliable. For the most part I would rather not have ANY features in trade for solid trustworthy performance. It seems the more you add the greater probability of error, wether it is human or machine. RTH and OSD are the 2 features I insist on having on my long range heli and they will both do it. If anything the OSD being built into the HF is great but i still have yet to try it out for myself.

I sure agree with the "buttery" part. I AM having issues with the solder trees on 2 out of 3 of my boards so the "reliable" part is now in question every time I take it up. Even using a loupe, it's hard to see the breaks and my solder repair "dabs" keep getting larger and larger. I doubt if the NAZA board will be suffering those problems even 2 years from now. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure the'll be making us all look like whiners once their next revs hit the street.

Bartman

Earl, if your on the fence, you're there for a good reason ... DJI is better hahah

From my experience ... and my opinion ... the GPS functionality of the HF doesn't even compare to the DJI .. and HF lost me a long time ago ... sorry If I've offended anyone.
Don't get me wrong, the feel of the HF was something to its own ... I loved it .... but I love the DJI feel 10 fold now.
I got sick and tired of waiting for a constant reliable dead on result feature set. Sure they are growing, but it's no excuse.

When I use GPS features, I don't want to feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette with my MR, hoping to god it doesn't fall from the sky ... as it has for multiple users.
It has happened to me numerous times, and in each case I was lucky enough to recover and not smash it to a million pieces ... but that feeling ... lost me.
Shortly after I switched from HF to DJI, a well known experienced member here, that I look up to for his opinion ... crashed his XY8 or X8 by using the GPS features .. so it's not just me going crazy.

People aren't giving HF enough bad credit in my opinion ... you hear more DJI problems, because the market is like Microsoft and Apple.
Once they start getting more bad credit, the products will improve ... because they have to.

Earl, as like you ... I like flying FPV and when I let go the sticks for any reason, I want to know, that its sitting there in space where I left it ... DJI answered that one, above and beyond.

IMHO ... I'd take the $450 and go with the newer Naza V2 GPS.

I've been wanting to rant on HF for awhile, but I just let it be. Sorry for hijacking your questions, but just thought I'd share my experience with the HF GPS.

Razzil,

i don't think any of your observations are a surprise to anyone. competition in the flight control field is intensifying and it's not acceptable to have lots of 'buts' in the descriptions as to how things work. flies great but.... super stable but..... GPS works but.....

the folks at HF are working on it, i'm sure of that. we'll see where it takes us.

Bartman

I sure agree with the "buttery" part. I AM having issues with the solder trees on 2 out of 3 of my boards so the "reliable" part is now in question every time I take it up. Even using a loupe, it's hard to see the breaks and my solder repair "dabs" keep getting larger and larger. I doubt if the NAZA board will be suffering those problems even 2 years from now. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20. I'm sure the'll be making us all look like whiners once their next revs hit the street.

what are the "solder trees"?

Aerovideo

I have to admit I've had some good and bad results with the HF GPS. It doesn't seem to be quite reliable, certain conditions just freak it out.

While I haven't tried a DJI FC yet I have tried GU344, FYTech, and OpenPilot. The OpenPilot I was able to get to fly just about as smooth as one of my Hoverfly quads but it took TONS of flying and PID adjusting, what a PITA! :) It's nice and small though and can be mounted on the smallest of quads.

My main FPV quads still fly the HFPro as it is soooo smooth in manual mode, that's all I fly in when doing FPV.

I did witness my first DJI Naza GPS setup this past weekend and I have to admit, the altitude hold and position hold were AMAZING! But whenever I watch video from a Naza you can see the wobbles. Of course with the new brushless gimbals that are out now that may no longer be a problem.

I do wish the Hoverfly guys were as active in the forums as they used to be way back in the day. Sure would be nice to know what they are working on, if anything :)

Bartman

in another thread we're trying to see if adjusting the auto-level gain while flying will help the GPS to handle challenging conditions better.

it seems to be raining at all four corners of the globe so it's an idea in progress.

bart