f550 left turn into ground

barryo2024

i have had this happen 2 times 30ft hovering then motors start raceing aircraft does a half flip to left and does not stop until the ground,
no rime or reason i had thougth the first time the nazav2m gps compas had came off

jamesb72

If one of the left motors or escs is playing up this would happen. Esc prob or loose signal wire connection can be intermittent so will look fine when tested. Also a loose/slipping prop but that would normally be more obvious.

barryo2024

i pushed all the plugs in escs did find a couple that moved cant rember witch ones
all seems fine. thanks for the replies.

Old Man

I've experienced this with another system but only after previously hitting the ground through operator error. Turned out that crash induced damage in two ESCs that had hit the ground that was not apparent until after they had later been in use long enough to get warm. The next crash was due to damaged ESCs. Replacing the ESCs corrected control issues.

Something to keep in mind, electrical components built on PCBs are not impact shock tolerant, especially when such impacts impart considerable kinetic energy. They can easily sustain damage that may not immediately become evident. A good crash requires considerable ground testing before putting those components back into the air. Many of us have ended up spending a lot more to repair subsequent crashes because we hoped to save money and reuse previously crashed components lacking visible evidence of crash damage. If we threw our laptops across the yard and they hit the ground as hard as a multirotor we would not expect them to function afterwards. I'll venture the component quality in most laptops is better than what we are provided in multirotor components.

There's also the possibility you have an older Naza. Some of them had a propensity to periodically go into the "flip of death" for no apparent reason.

Last edited:

barryo2024

it has done this at the same takeoff time 10-15sec, take off hover then by-by
every thing is dji including rc

thanks for info, i have a phantom4 so not going to spend much on 550

If it happens each time about the same time, try letting it spool up on the ground and just idle below take off thurst. Check motors esc for heating after a bit.

Any chance that system has a flight log?

violetwolf

Agree with Old Man as usual. The components in the Flight Controller are very sensitive to shock as well. The Accelerometer and Gyro in particular are very sensitive.

Also agree with ground testing. Tying it down to cement block or picnic table etc and running her up to flight thrust may yield clues

But I'd never trust a NAZA that's been in a crash. Personal experience with that... Switched to APM / PIX and never looked back

barryo2024

i have had it back out flying 5 times, no problems. very strange
it has never hit the ground but it has crashed into pine trees twice.
i took off tarrot gimbal and gopro, just have spycam fpv cam left

If adding the weight back on at some point causes it to start up again, I would replace the escs on the side that drops. You are not noticing it now, but you are running the rig at a lower weight which would reduce the load on the motor/esc. I wouldn't think the FC would care too much about weight but extra weight could get a bad esc into thermal protection.

How much less is your hover throttle percent unloaded?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Just a crap shoot, but see how much vibration is in the frame and make sure that your props are balanced, a frame vibration can also confuse the sensors and cause this kind of behavior.