CAA Permits???

Hi Guys, this may be elsewhere in the forum, but was struggling to find anything. It is Uk regulation related.
I was planning using my DJI Phantom to film my local football team play next month at the All Weather pitch, and would probably like to do this fairly regularly. This is non commercial, its just for me and the lads to watch after, but I am starting to think I need permission for this??
My reasoning is 22 guys will be on the pitch, and it is an urban area. Researching the CAA website is mind boggling, I am finding it very hard to find the correct info, so am guessing I probably have to apply for this,
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1320Issue04Final.pdf

But there is a section here it mentions payment, and I have no idea what payment is required for something like this, or even to find out how much. Is it really expensive, was hoping it wouldn't be too much as there may not be much point otherwise.
Also another check box for including license to fly, surely I don't need this for a hobby do I?? Sooo confused.
Apologies for all the questions, but I don't want to go blundering in and landing in the proverbial for not adhering to the correct rules etc.

Cheers

Chris

Ah, ok I'll look for that, cheers Bill. Where abouts in Scotland are you, I'm in the Highlands, although working in Norway just now

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if you come up with an answer please post it here as well so others can benefit from the help. i'm going to move this to the certification/regulation forum area.

cheers!
bart

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey mate. It would just come under 'model flying rules' I presume. You'll be fine just filming for fun as long as you act and fly safely. The easiest thing is just to tell everyone you'll be flying near, what you're doing and what instructions you may shout (like if something goes wrong). You're flying on a football pitch so should have ample space.

Just my opinions of course.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Well I am jealous. Just don't tell me you fly your UAV using the force, I will be green. (I'm a huge star wars fan, and have been for around 31 of my 32 years., haha)

Benjamin Kenobi

The CAA says using the force is not covered under their current guidelines. I said 'why not?' They said because 'it doesn't exist!'

Bah! And these guys are in charge?! They have no knowledge of the force!

I actually hate Star Wars.......apart from rewatching all six movies this month of course...and changing mine and my wifes name to Kenobi a few years ago...and I just went to a Star Wars themed party at my neighbor's house...apart from those things I love Star Wars...

Yes, I've had some wine...

Damn bureaucracy, ruins everything. What did you dress as??
No wine for me all Festive Period, I am being flung around on a ship near the Arctic just now.

Benjamin Kenobi

On a ship in the Arctic whilst using Multirotorforums.com :02.47-tranquillity: ! Good internet connection up there?

Maybe we should start a thread: Where's the most unusual places you've logged onto MRF?

Our connection is ok, but can't view videos or anything. I was actually up near Svalbard back in February, now that is Northerly. Currently 66 degrees North Just now, so about same latitude as Northern alaska and northern Iceland.

billmac

Big place the Highlands are you South Highlands or North Highlands I live in Aberdeenshire now however I am originally from up north. Am floating about on an FPU at the moment trying to get home for the last two days.

I am top of the Northern Highlands, in Caithness. I am on a Survey Vessel up in Northern Norway, battling against weather. Work has been slow progress.

Haha, I am indeed, although I now live in Thurso. What a huge migration I made.
Weather has been pretty pathetic at sea for a fair while now, my Bro In law is stuck somewhere off Shetland I believe.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Mongoose1981

You shold read the following

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5631

Its always a good idea to get everyones permission.. just saves some big defender taking offence and confronting you while your craft is in the air.. not a good mix.. I am feeling sea sick just reading your posts..

BYW I filmed at 67.8050° so I beat you by a degree or so!

Good luck and safe passage, if you get the winds we have had today you'll be in for a rough night!

Dave

Thanks Droider, will give that a read through.
I have done GoPro ship filming from 72 degress North, so I may win. :shame:. Nothing aerial though.
Cheers for that, hoping the wind dies before it reaches us.
Chris

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ill bet I beat you going south! Its got to be in the air I am afraid! Temp was -32ºc at the time!

Winds abated here so hopefully will have run out of steam before getting to you but listening to the shipping your brother is in for a bit of a battering!

Take care

Dave

Bowley

Hi Chris, we are getting battered in the central sector as well, on a semi, slow trip, been at a standstill for 2 weeks and counting.

Steve