anyone use Gopro WIFI successfully with 2.4ghz tx/rx?

djneils98

Up until now i've always flown my gopro with the WIFI off but it would be great to be able to monitor the gopro to set up shots on my phone while my quad is flying.
Is anyone doing this?
Just a bit concerned my 2.4ghz tx/rx or the naza gps might get interfered with and cause something bad to happen.
After all the phantom vision appears to have switched to 5.8ghz tx/rx in order to do a similar thing over WIFI its camera.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
GoPro Wi-Fi has very limited range, and being on 2.4Ghz could interfere with your radio setup, assuming you are using 2.4Ghz Radio which most people are using. Also there is a HUGE delay from camera to Phone, so the shot you think you are getting, probably is not anymore. Forget about the WiFi, turn on time lapse setting for a shot every 2 seconds.... you will be surprised at the great pictures it takes.

Or you could set up a GoPro to VTX system, use a 600Mw ImmersionRC and a basestation receiver along with an 7" monitor to set up your shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

As Deanot states,,,the 4 sec lag renders it useless for FPV or framing, I have used it with no adverse effects to control to about 100m range

sj257

There is lag, and poor distance reception but it's a gopro thing.

Used the wifi on gopro 2 and 3 on my quad which is controlled with a DX8 also using telemetry.

Used downlink to separate iPad and to an android phone clipped onto the Tx.

Never any problems.

Surely as 2.4 talk specifically to each other there shouldn't be a problem?

None for me anyway.

sj

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

censrd

Officially its suggested that you don't use the go-pro WiFi with the phantom. It has been known to cause random fly a ways.
Source: DJI website.

Rainman

Surely as 2.4 talk specifically to each other there shouldn't be a problem?

Not necessarily true. 2.4Ghz is a merely a frequency range, how it is used and the type of communications that go over it defines whether there will be conflict or not. Mobile phones, your control TX, etc, are able to distinguish from each other and jump frequencies in that range, however WiFi does not frequency hop and neither does the video transmitters that are used for FPV in the 2.4Ghz range. You should not switch on the WiFi on a GoPro if you're using 2.4Ghz as your primary method of controlling your model.

In any event the video feed on the GoPro is so laggy it's next to useless.

djneils98

but it could be useful as had been said to change shooting modes etc and check pitch position.
think i'm gonna test it

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have used it just to check what was in frame and have tested the range out to around 60 metres max before it loses the connection, still handy for basic setup but in general you are better off not having WiFi turned on. I like the setup on the TBS Discovery Pro where you can switch between your FPV camera and your GoPro, great for framing your shots with no lag.

Pete

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
Some brands of radios hate GOpro wifi it seems. On my tricopter, my first radio was a Flysky 6ch. With wifi on the interference was so bad that the rx would not pick up radio signal with my tx right next to the copter.
Now that I am using FrSky and a much more expensive copter I wont even risk using the wifi.