Another crash & burn, but I figured it out.

photojunky

What pisses me off about this is I knew the flight controller was suppose to be aimed towards the front, but I just spaced and had it at a 90 degree angle. Have a laugh at my expense.

Ouch! unfortunately for me that's the best way to learn. I was rearranging components on the top deck of my Tarot 680 and I decided that I wanted to change the way my GPS compass folded. It folded down from front to rear and I changed it 90 degrees so it folded down from left to right. I took off and could barely control it and eventually crashed before I could land. I took me a while to even figure it out. When I clocked the folding mast 90 degrees I didn't change the direction of the compass so it was 90 degrees off. Essentially it was the same thing you did only you changed the FC. That was a violent crash, how much damage did your 960 sustain?

photojunky

Was there a lot of damage with your mishap? So far the only damage I have found is two props were cracked. I will look again thoroughly before I try again Friday.

Yes, believe it or not it fell from less than 3 feet into a soft overgrown lawn but it came down hard on the one side of the landing gear which I had replaced with some very stiff carbon fiber. So instead of the landing gear breaking it transferred the energy up into the frame and broke the lower frame plate. It was practically a complete rebuild just to change out the frame plate. So now I always use the thin walled breakaway CF tubes for LG. I finally got a nice full sized gimbal for my 960 and will re-commission it soon. I going to have to almost start from scratch, its been flown but only for some brief test flights, now that I have a proper gimbal and a full sized camera I will have to take a fresh look at everything. The bigger you go the more things cost exponentially so there is a large pucker factor with this rig.