ZMR 250 issues

DDAYZ

New to multi rotors and droning... but learning quickly that most of the fun of flying quads needs to be found in the pits... With that said I bought a ZMR250 preassembled from China... Yes I should have researched it better... but well you know. After a few short flights I crashed and messed up one of the motors. so I bout a new set of EMAX MT1806 2280KV motors and there is no power to any of them. Is there a way to test the ESC's? I notice that it doesn't do the musical introduction it was doing when i originally purchased it... I am running an open pilot flight controller and have gone through the software apps and the plane is responding to the remote (FLYSKY FS-IA6) and looks like it is arming but still nothing to the motors. The crash wasn't bad... and the motors were turning before I took them off and added the new ones. Should I just buy new ESC's or are there any other suggestions I can use to trouble shoot this problem? I only have the wires connected to the motors and they aren't soldered yet. I was trying to just test and see what direction they were spinning. I am ready for the FPV experience... Please help! :)

tstrike

pendejo grande
You might solder up the motors (at least one) and see if that's your issue. The musical tones come from your motors not the esc. Is there any way you can prove the birds getting power (lights, arming led on the control board)?
The ZMR is nothing to be ashamed of when you're talking 250 size quads.

Edit: I just noticed this is my 1000th post here, I guess my time is done.

DDAYZ

Heck no! New flyers and builders like me certainly appreciate this 1000th post! I didn't know where else to turn and I need someone who knows more than I do... So thank you soon much tstrike. It is people like you that make a difference. Yes It is getting power to the open pilot through the batteries and to the receiver and I can arm the bird with the remote lights on open pilot blink after arming... I researched a bit more and found out they are the 12v emax ESC's... how do I know the wiring...? most videos show the 3 color ESCs that is why I didn't solder in hope of easy testing... (like speakers I suppose) I will solder up a motor real quick... They came attached with bullets and all the esc cables mounted to the bottom... Should I remove the bullets and shorten the esc cables and attach to the top... ( I will put them on top regardless I am thinking) it is becoming a complete rebuild which is OK since I am learning so much. I am excited to get this thing in the air for real... a few modifications and it will be flying like a beast I am sure! Also, I have some LEDS that I hooked up to the power distribution board and they are getting power... and it looks like the ESC solder connections are still solid. Again thank you tstrike for your 1000th post it is already helping. here is to #2000!

tstrike

pendejo grande
Thanks dood! I've found with these little motors if they don't have a good connection they get twitchy or not working at all real fast. Once you solder them up, if you need to change motor direction just unsolder 2 of the wires and swap them with each other.

DDAYZ

Ok so Solder is imperative on motor connections... lesson learned :) I have beeps from the motors now... tstrike your are batting 1000 so far!

DDAYZ

OK so I have all 4 motors going... now I am having issues with my radio... the roll (right stick) isn't working... I am running through the wizard and it doesn't recognize it... I am using a Flysky radio FS-iA6 it was working when I did "test" flights and last time I went through the wizards to set up and now the roll stick just isn't responding... any ideas? Like I say this is my first adventure in to this stuff... Sorry if I seem naive about this stuff... I am pretty techy but this is my first endeavor beyond what I consider more of a toy. Any suggestions on the neutral motor speed setting? I am running them at 1100... seems stable on all 4? Thanks again for any help!

DDAYZ

I think i am ready to fly this thing again... small flight test worked in my living room... :) Any recommendations on settings or how to get trims set optimally?

DDAYZ

Alright sooo it flew... but will only lift about 3 or 4 feet off the ground... What the heck?

DDAYZ

OK... the bird is in the air and... it is spectacular! Epecially compared to what I have been flying with!