Zenmuse X5 Series-The Next Evolution of Aerial Cameras

With the Zenmuse X5 series, you have the world’s first set of Micro Four Thirds cameras built specifically for aerial photography and cinematography. Bringing unparalleled imaging quality together with integrated 3-axis gimbal stabilization and remarkable ease of use, each empowers you to shoot and complete jobs like never before.

x5cam2.jpg

Meet the Zenmuse X5, the world’s first mirrorless, compact Micro Four Thirds camera made specifically for aerial photography and cinematography. Designed to work with the DJI Inspire 1 ready-to-fly platform, the Zenmuse X5 packs a powerful sensor that’s capable of recording 4K videos at up to 30 fps and capturing still images at 16MP. Equipped with the standard MFT interchangeable lens mount and allowing full wireless remote control over focus, aperture, and more, the Zenmuse X5 lets you shoot the way you want. Welcome to the future of aerial imaging.

Get ready to experience the wonder of RAW. The Zenmuse X5R is the world’s first Micro Four Thirds aerial camera capable of recording lossless 4K videos in RAW. With a framerate of up to 30fps and 1.7Gbps average bitrate (2.4Gbps maximum bitrate), the X5R empowers you to capture breathtaking professional-level footage every time. Packed with a powerful MFT sensor, the camera also takes 16MP images with stunning details, while the integrated 3-axis stabilization gimbal keeps the camera level. Finally, an aerial camera that’s truly fit for the professionals.

REVOLUTIONARY SENSOR

x5cam3.jpg

Built inside the Zenmuse X5 is a powerful Micro Four Thirds sensor that’s absolutely revolutionary for an aerial camera. With a sensor eight times the size of that in the previous X3 camera included with the Inspire 1, this new MFT sensor enables high quality, high sensitivity image recording at an ISO range of 100-25600. With a sophisticated balance of high-resolving power, accurate gradation, and low noise, you are realizing your artistic and creative vision as never before.

READY TO FLY

x5cam4.jpg

Say goodbye to frustratingly long setups. The Zenmuse X5 is perfectly compatible with the Inspire 1, DJI’s professional, ready to fly aerial platform. Instantly ready and bringing a level of control and convenience that only a fully integrated system can provide, you have a combination of imaging prowess and ease-of-use that is unprecedented in any aerial imaging system.

TAKE CONTROL

x5cam5.jpg

With the Zenmuse X5, you have an unprecedented level of control right at your fingertips. In the intuitive auto-focus mode, simply tap on the screen of your mobile device to tell the camera to focus on a specific area. You can also easily manually change settings such as focus, shutter, and aperture through the user-friendly DJI GO app. With the Zenmuse X5, you are always ready to take control.

Control the Zenmuse X5 remotely with the same DJI GO app that is used with the Inspire 1. With a live HD view powered by DJI Lightbridge, you see exactly what the camera is capturing and can adjust every setting on the fly.

PROFESSIONAL AERIAL VIDEO

x5cam6.jpg

Despite its compact size, the Zenmuse X5 is a powerful video camera that’s capable of recording 4K (3840 x 2160) at up to 30 fps, 2.7K (2704x1520) at up to 30 fps, and Full HD (1920 x 1080) at up to 60 fps in MP4/MOV format. The Zenmuse X5 enables you to record professional-level footage with stunning clarity and detail. A higher speed signal readout suppresses the rolling shutter effect when recording, resulting in beautiful footage even when flying at high speeds. The Zenmuse X5 also comes equipped with convenient features such as Zebra Pattern and Focus Peaking making it a camera that’s truly fit for any job.

With the Zenmuse X5R, DJI has brought the power of RAW to a dedicated aerial camera for the first time. Capable of recording 4K (3840 x 2160) videos in RAW at up to 30fps, the Zenmuse X5R gives you the ability to capture every video with all of its original data intact, giving you complete control to edit every single frame in post as a RAW file. Coupled with a maximum bitrate of an astonishing 2.4Gbps, the 4K videos recorded by the Zenmuse X5R will amaze you with a level of detail and clarity that’s absolutely unmatched by any other aerial camera.

CAPTURE MEMORIES

x5cam7.jpg

With a MFT sensor that’s capable of capturing photos at 16MP, the Zenmuse X5 produces print-ready images that look as good in a frame as they do on your screen. The extra pixels represent a 25% increase over the original Inspire 1 camera. With the shutter speed increased to as quick as 1/8000 of a second, and the power of the new imaging processor enabling burst capture of up to 7 full size photos per second, the Zenmuse X5 helps you relish every memorable moment.

UNPARALLELED STABILIZATION

x5cam8.jpg

Thanks to DJI’s unparalleled expertise in stabilization systems, the Zenmuse X5 is equipped with a highly reliable 3-axis gimbal that automatically stabilizes your camera in flight. The gimbal constantly communicates with the aircraft, and quickly compensates for every minor movement. With a precision accuracy of 0.02°, sub-pixel stabilization is occuring and as a result, the Zenmuse X5 produces silky smooth footage and sharp photos even with long exposure no matter how you fly.

INTERCHANGEABLE LENS MOUNT

x5cam9.jpg

As the world’s first Micro Four Thirds camera made specifically for aerial photography and videography, the Zenmuse X5 gives you the freedom to choose your lens. By utilizing the standard MFT mount, one of the most popular lens systems in the camera industry, the Zenmuse X5 is well positioned to benefit from new products and innovations from major lens manufacturers.Currently, there are three prime lenses compatible with the Zenmuse X5. With different specifications but the same top-notch quality, these three lenses provide you with the flexibility on set.

BUILT TO LAST

x5cam10.jpg

The Zenmuse X5 is precisely manufactured with high-grade magnesium alloys, enabling it to withstand heavy field use. Compact and lightweight to allow easy transportation and long flight times, the Zenmuse X5 is built to last.

PRECISE FOCUS CONTROL

x5cam11.jpg

As you fly, focus can be remotely adjusted using the GO App or the DJI Focus system. Simply plug this new follow focus controller into the Inspire 1 remote to have an accurate, familiar physical focus wheel that controls the way your shots look.

Learn More

dazzab

Very cool but I can't imagine ever being close enough to my subject with a multirotor to need a change in focus. But I'm sure someone will do something cool with it.

SamaraMedia

Funny how there is one page on this forum but 100 pages on rcg...guess many here don't consider this a pro option.

I'm torn, I hate to delve into a first generation product, especially DJI, but I long for the convenience of camera control from a remote vs camera control only. I would really like to build an X8 (Tom's Falcon looks nice) with Infinity MR gimbal and a GH4 or BlackMagic micro compact (even though it only shoots 1080) but would like the ease of transport and possible dual operator setup. Dual operator is not that big a concern since I have more than one radio etc...

The camera does seem to be limiting in some respects but an improvement over some other options out there. I need something to replace my F550 and GoPro Hero3.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
Well this is paying GoPro quality at a premium price.... We've had a heated discussion a while ago on the S900 Facebook page, because some people seem to think that because it says 4K it's good for cine.
Well, I do Netflix's Narcos and they are perfectly happy with the GH4 files. It blends really well with the Dragon files. It turns out most people don't use their drones for large TV production, rather for weddings, videoclips etc and it is probable that the Inspire would be a perfect rig.
But like I said there, the biggest limiting factor is not the camera, its the chassis. The Inspire simply doesn't handle in the wind, won't do 360 pans, will show the landing legs on lateral shots etc.
To each and everyone its own use, I'm sure the Inspire makes a lot of people happy, but for us TV/Cine folks, it just doesn't work.

SamaraMedia

Thanks Matt, while I'm not into cine at this time I agree that just because it says 4k it's good 4k. DJI and so many others are quick to market their products as pro quality and for it probably is good enough. I'm not convinced the I1Pro is worth the price at this time so I will continue to march down the road of building my own hex or X8 for the time being.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
Good 4K starts at GH4 level IMHO. Anything below 100mbps is not compatible with multicam setups such as we have on Narcos, shooting at 5K.