Zenmuse with Sony NEX 5R video output image size

r44heli

Hi All,

We have a Zenmuse with Sony NEX5R, on the downlink monitor the image is overscanning by about 5%,
so the icons that appear on the camera LCD are around half bled off the image on the monitor. We are using
a Lilliput 7" HD field monitor in16:9 mode that has no image stretching menu so we can't change the image
size to fit the screen.

Be interested in what monitors others are using and whether they display the whole camera LCD image.

Cheers

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Be careful with the lilliput as I am pretty sure they dont show static. I have one and it turned out to be one of my big FPV issues in terms of range. I couldnt for the life of me believe I couldnt go 20' away, even with a monitor that turns blue screen during low signal. But I bought a fox 7" and a readymade rc 8" and an another cheap chinese one and they all work perfectly. I can now go further than I am comfortable flying just because of that one little detail. This is a different issue than you are having but thought I would mention it.

r44heli

Hi - thanks for that - You have also highlighted another issue that is bugging us - the Lilliput monitor does exactly what you describe, we have just changed the downlink because of this issue and the new one still causes the monitor to blue screen a lot. I will go and get a different monitor tomorrow and report back.

olof

Osprey
Without getting too technical about "title safe" and "action safe" areas on any TV, let me just say that DJI made a mistake by assuming that everyone has a evaluation monitor, probably what they use in the lab, I use those to edit video and they have title and action safe markers that can be turned on. What I do is keep those on and monitor on a consumer monitor as well when editing.

Computer monitors show you every pixel but TV's and therefore most cheap monitors cut of up to 20% of the picture (the reason goes back to old analog CRT screens). That is why to be "title safe" you have to have all graphic and text inside the 20% title safe area. This is a very common problem with new editors w/o traditional training, they just don't understand legacy TV signals, and the world still works this way. I see new editors bitten by this all the time. Even in this new digital age.

But DJI has fixed this with the latest update, you can now adjust the placement of the text info in assistant..

Almost none of the field monitors even the multi K pro ones actually show the entire video signal. I have some that do but they cost more than a Zenmuse.

So the simple fix is update your iOSD and use Assistant to move telemetry info in.

r44heli

Without getting too technical about "title safe" and "action safe" areas on any TV, let me just say that DJI made a mistake by assuming that everyone has a evaluation monitor, probably what they use in the lab, I use those to edit video and they have title and action safe markers that can be turned on. What I do is keep those on and monitor on a consumer monitor as well when editing.

Computer monitors show you every pixel but TV's and therefore most cheap monitors cut of up to 20% of the picture (the reason goes back to old analog CRT screens). That is why to be "title safe" you have to have all graphic and text inside the 20% title safe area. This is a very common problem with new editors w/o traditional training, they just don't understand legacy TV signals, and the world still works this way. I see new editors bitten by this all the time. Even in this new digital age.

But DJI has fixed this with the latest update, you can now adjust the placement of the text info in assistant..

Almost none of the field monitors even the multi K pro ones actually show the entire video signal. I have some that do but they cost more than a Zenmuse.

So the simple fix is update your iOSD and use Assistant to move telemetry info in.

Hi olof,

Thanks for your reply - we are not using iOSD I was talking about the Sony camera icons such as battery status, number of pictures, etc that appear around the outer edge of the camera LCD. I was hoping to get a monitor that you can adjust the picture height and width on much like professional 40"/55" monitors.

Cheers