Zenmuse Tilt Control? How To Troubleshoot

PCMAerial

Another small roadblock in the build. No luck with Tilt Control on my new H3-3D Zenmuse. Got the channel 5 set to my "RS" switch on my Taranis. Figured this would be a good knob to adjust tilt slowly. Anyways tried that and a combination of other switches/channels to no avail. I figured I would post my build pics and see if anyone can notice the problem.

attachment.php

Gimbal control is "ON" but I see no X1 available. No sliders toggle X1

attachment.php

attachment.php

SBUS connected to X2. Do I need to switch this for gimbal?
(LED unplugged for reference)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Taranis channel setup

Sorry if I have overlooked something simple here. Got the zen to work decently. Small bit of jello but making adjustments. If ONLY I could control the tilt!!! Thanks for looking or any advice you may have

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.26 PM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 448
  • Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.48 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-16 at 3.49.48 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 454
  • photo 1(2).jpg
    photo 1(2).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 443
  • photo 2(2).jpg
    photo 2(2).jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 438
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 467

Turn Gimbal switch 'off' as you are using Can-bus Naza connection to control the gimbal not manual PWM connections,

Calibrate Ch5 X1 movements on RC tab. Adjust end points etc on Tx if necessary.
That should do it.

PCMAerial

Turn Gimbal switch 'off' as you are using Can-bus Naza connection to control the gimbal not manual PWM connections,

Calibrate Ch5 X1 movements on RC tab. Adjust end points etc on Tx if necessary.
That should do it.

Thanks so much for the insight. Trying this now. I have my RS slider set to channel 5

Although the only thing I don't see is anything for X1 on my controller. There is no X1 movement in Naza when I look at the sticks moving. Nor do I see anything to calibrate X1. I can see X2 move with a certain switch. Not X1 if that makes sense

On your Tx can you monitor your RS slider movement on screen (I can on Futaba 10J) is it actually enabled, transmitting?, sorry don't know your Tx/Rx.
I use Pc not Mac ver of Asst, but does the 'start' button on your screenshot of Naza asst not allow you to calibrate ch 5?
Until you can see/get slider on X1 to move on Naza Asst, H3 gimbal tilt won't work.
Sorry struggling to help further.

PCMAerial

On your Tx can you monitor your RS slider movement on screen (I can on Futaba 10J) is it actually enabled, transmitting?, sorry don't know your Tx/Rx.
I use Pc not Mac ver of Asst, but does the 'start' button on your screenshot of Naza asst not allow you to calibrate ch 5?
Until you can see/get slider on X1 to move on Naza Asst, H3 gimbal tilt won't work.
Sorry struggling to help further.

Sorry, on a Frsky Taranis.

I don't see anything to calibrate channel 5 or X1. Actually I can toggle every switch on my controller and no X1 movement. Maybe I'll update my Naza to the latest and see if that changes anything. Just saw there is a new firmware in Naza v2.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Wasn't sure if I could do anything aside from X1 since it doesn't seem to show up. Hoping to solve this problem today, I've heard people flying a zenmuse in an hour and mine has been apart for 3 days lol. Will figure it out thanks to this site!

PCMAerial

Not sure WHY I can't figure this one out. Tried rearranging things and STILL no X1 visible. I can see my RS slider moving in the controller, so it seems to be on and transmistting. But still no tilt movement or control whatsoever. Really want to figure this out as I see everyone making it work.

-Taranis FrSky
-Naza v2
-H3-3d GCU

Tilt control set to channel 5. Assigned the RS slider knob for tilt. No movement whatsoever. In naza assistant the X1 and X2 switches show NO movement at all. Don't get it
[MENTION=15309]ShackFlyer[/MENTION]

Are you saying you have lost X2 movement in Naza asst that you had before? If so something funny happened then.
I would go back to square 1, disconnect & re wire change servo wire from Rx to Naza (faulty/interference), check all units have current firmware, & Asst software.
Maybe even go back to 7xPWM connections to Naza from Rx to rule out S.Bus issues (?Rx fault? incompatibility? firmware upgrade??
Can you test Rx Ch 5,6 & 7 outputs with servos?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
As above, turn off the gimbal switch screen, not needed for the Zenmuse. There's some help here. It says you should calibrate the X1 channel.

PCMAerial

Are you saying you have lost X2 movement in Naza asst that you had before? If so something funny happened then.
I would go back to square 1, disconnect & re wire change servo wire from Rx to Naza (faulty/interference), check all units have current firmware, & Asst software.
Maybe even go back to 7xPWM connections to Naza from Rx to rule out S.Bus issues (?Rx fault? incompatibility? firmware upgrade??
Can you test Rx Ch 5,6 & 7 outputs with servos?

Got all the wiring checked and all seems to be present. I'm getting output from everything but the X1/X2. The X2 isn't showing up or the X1 option to calibrate. My naza assistant software is fully updated.

PCMAerial

As above, turn off the gimbal switch screen, not needed for the Zenmuse. There's some help here. It says you should calibrate the X1 channel.

Great. Got the gimbal switch off. My problem is that the "X1 Calibration" isn't even showing up in my Naza assistant.

-X1 Calibration must be the problem

I've read so many people get it working after this calibration. Why would mine not even show up on naza? Not sure whats going on here, something doesn't want me to tilt my camera lol

The only thing I'm not able to check, which has me wondering. Is the Zenmuse assistant software. I can find ONLY a pc version, yet I am on mac and no PC nearby as I just moved. Got a gig tomorrow where I can access a pc in the morning. But hoping to have the tilt control working by then. I've gotta be doing SOMETHING wrong here. Can provide any pics/info/video if needed

thanks so much guys

Last edited by a moderator:

Do Ch 6 & 7 function correctly (IOC & flight modes) switches function correctly? If they do chances are your Rx is sending the info for Ch5/X1.

IIRC (it was a while ago) the X1 calibration button only appeared on Naza asst (maybe I'm going bonkers though) when Naza FC recognised that the H3-3D plugged in, so I'm wondering if your H3-3D GCU has been 'properly' recognised by the Naza FC, as you are unable to run the PC Asst software to check this.

Quoting the H3-3D Wiki connection page;
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/H3-3D-GCU_Connection
"To activate the tilt function, user needs to properly set up the channel in the Assistant Software and ensure the connection between the receiver and the main controller is correct. Refer to the Gimbal Assistant Software for details"

PCMAerial

Do Ch 6 & 7 function correctly (IOC & flight modes) switches function correctly? If they do chances are your Rx is sending the info for Ch5/X1.

IIRC (it was a while ago) the X1 calibration button only appeared on Naza asst (maybe I'm going bonkers though) when Naza FC recognised that the H3-3D plugged in, so I'm wondering if your H3-3D GCU has been 'properly' recognised by the Naza FC, as you are unable to run the PC Asst software to check this.

Quoting the H3-3D Wiki connection page;
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/H3-3D-GCU_Connection
"To activate the tilt function, user needs to properly set up the channel in the Assistant Software and ensure the connection between the receiver and the main controller is correct. Refer to the Gimbal Assistant Software for details"

6 and 7 definitely seem to be working. Switching from Atti/GPS/Manual flight modes is recognized every time.

So possibly my GCU isn't being recognized because I haven't ran the Zen assist software? I wonder if there's a way to start my Naza at the beginning stages of calibration. The X1 calibration is just not there at ALL. There must be some way, somehow to make this work. I'll try to connect to a PC this week. That is the only thing I haven't tried yet

PCMAerial

Did you read through the post I quoted? Have you deactivated X1 for gains adjustment in the other screens on the assistant?

Thanks for the post. I am not sure how to deactivate X1 as I just can't find ANYTHING X1 related for some reason. Can't find X1 in my Taranis menu, or Naza assistant. I can see the sticks monitor on Naza assistant showing an X1 and X2, but the black bar never moves. No motion from any switches.

Maybe am I missing something with my Taranis Radio? Got to be something because the wires seem to all be connected correctly. Gimbal works nice, just NO tilt control at all. Tomorrow afternoon I will run the Zenmuse assistant on a PC at the office and MAYBE get something further.

Sad part is I bought the Zenmuse last week specifically for a gig tomorrow morning. Needed that tilt but I don't think I'll have troubleshooting done by tonight. Sadly have to take off the brand new $400 gimbal, and hard mount my GoPro to my rig - OUCH:(

-Any help is really appreciated folks. Thanks so much for the help thus far. If only I could figure it out....hmmmm

SamaraMedia

I'm using a Futaba T8FG with the H3-2D and can get the tilt function to work properly but can not get the manual speed control to work. No setting seems to slow it down and the default is way to fast to do a quick slider move and get a slow and steady motion. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working like when I first purchased it over a year ago but it seems like through one of the updates the ability to slow down the tilt speed has proved elusive at best, very frustrating on what otherwise is a nice unit. I have it mounted on a DIY quad I made, not a Phantom. I have not messed with the gains for pitch and roll since that I thought was just for the gimbals reaction time for response in air. I'm connected using s-bus. I've tried turning off the gimbal control but then I can't make any adjustments to the speed control. Suggestions?

Thanks, John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PCMAerial

Still no control over the tilt function. Hope this Zen doesn't sit on the shelf now. It seems like everyone and their mother can control tilt with the Zenmuse/Naza v2 setup. Not sure what I'm doing wrong

Having had a look at your other thread on powering the H3-3D, in the pictures you show a small 'extra' circuit bpoard which I believe is the one specific to the Phantom 2. This is not normally supplied.
Picture is in post #8 on the thread.
It makes me wonder if you have the correct version of the H3-3D, as I believe there is an ordinary one, and one specific for the Phantom. Maybe they are programmed differently (I am speculating here).
I think you need to speak to your supplier.

PCMAerial

Having had a look at your other thread on powering the H3-3D, in the pictures you show a small 'extra' circuit bpoard which I believe is the one specific to the Phantom 2. This is not normally supplied.
Picture is in post #8 on the thread.
It makes me wonder if you have the correct version of the H3-3D, as I believe there is an ordinary one, and one specific for the Phantom. Maybe they are programmed differently (I am speculating here).
I think you need to speak to your supplier.

Wouldn't that be something. I got the H3-3D with GCU and it comes with the anti-interference board. So this means could be phantom only? I assumed the GCU with the unit meant it was normal. But I will definitely be calling them today

PCMAerial

Odd..

Checked my order history and I ordered a "non p2" zenmuse. My assumption was that meant "non phantom" eh?

But the bar code on the box reads "Phantom 2 only"

And they gave me a GCU which I assumed is whats needed to run even a "p2" gimbal on my 550 rig. This is so frustrating. Emailed the supplier to see whats going on. Praying they will take an exchange as the gimbal is brand spanking new. Damnit I just want to fly this thing lol. Had my rig apart for more months than I've had it in the air. Thanks for the input!!

SamaraMedia

Anybody have an idea what this is? Came in the packaging for my H3-3D, non-Phantom 2

attachment.php

I don't see anything in the manual that refers to this connector.

Also, when I power up my P2 and go to the info page I can see all my peripherals, Main Control, GPS, Reciever -Phantom2, P330CB, Gimbal IMU and CMU and battery but when I go to info on a DIY quad using NAZA M with PMU V2 upgrade, iOSD mini, Zenmuse H3-2D, and a Can-hub to connect them all I only see the Main Controller, GPS and PMU, nothing for the Zenmuse CMU.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• H3-3D.jpg
    H3-3D.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 10.17.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 10.17.42 AM.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 10.18.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 10.18.10 AM.jpg