Zenmuse Problems !

Eoin

Hi Guys,
In a bit of a panic here. Have a job tomorrow with my Zenmuse . It arrived last week but this is the first time I have had a chance to set it up.
Can anyone who has one please tell me the startup procedure ? According to the manual it should do a self test spinning an all three axis and then go into an initializing procedure.
At the moment it will self test but doesn't seem to want to initialize properly. It will respond to my controls but the stabilization is all wrong. It compensates in the wrong direction and it does so veeeery slowly.
Camera is a NEX 7, 6S battery shared between Zenmuse and S800 all wired as per instructions.
Could really do with some help.
Thanks
Eoin

ChrisViperM

Hopefully this is just a small problem with the settings or connections....and not the beginning of another DJI extravaganza.

ChrisViperM

If it's really urgent, do a forum-serch for Zenmuse owners and try to send them a privat massege....I hope you can solve it quickly.

HEX junky

The first thing to do is plug a PC in and run the Z15 asistant software. This will show you if the control channels are the correct way and you can set the direction and throw of the AUX control channels i.e. you can see if you're in FPV mode etc.
Mine worked perfectly after I setup the radio properly.
Hopefully this is a more sensible answer!!!

Eoin

Thanks Guys,
Hex Junky, I have configured everything with the assistant and it all seems fine. I've made some progress, stabilization seems to be kicking in now after a reflash of the GCU and IMU firmware, though I am getting some drift on all axis.
Can you explain to me exactly what happens when yours initialises ? Is it slow and smooth, does it judder ? I am getting some juddering an the pan axis but I don't know if this part of it's normal startup procudure or not. It's very smooth when controlled with the stick but the drift has me worried.

HEX junky

Mine does the spinning dance while powering up.
As for the drift...with the software make sure that the display for the axis controls shows zero, mine was showing 5, I used sub trim on the transmitter to acheive the zero setting at mid stick. This fixed my very slight drift. Also, I used a little Expo on the channels to soften the centre positions. Mine is now rock solid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vEbtt3DAw

Eoin

Yep. That is Rock Solid :)
Seems to be working for me now. I'm using a T7C which doesn't seem to have the resolution on Subtrim to get me to 0. I'm fluctuating around -1 to +2 on all channels.
That said I don't appear to have the drift issue anymore. I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it handles in the air.

DennyR

Just follow the instructions in the manual. The initialization will not complete unless the can bus is connected and the WKM IMU. Also the camera should be turned on before connecting the battery. You should see the VDU display after that. Set Nex-7 display to so 1080i. Sounds like you did not calibrate properly. I flew with a student today for 12 flights of between 10 - 14 mins, and no problem. It was his first day at the controls and he loved every minuet of it. So easy to fly this machine.

Eoin

Hi DennyR,
I had set up everything like you said. The problem seemed to be the gimbal would not calibrate at all. After reflashing the firmware it kicked in and I have been able to get rid of the drift using subtrim.
I presume it was just a gremlin as all is working fine now thankfully.
Thanks all
Eoin

DennyR

So long as you don't change the balance then it should initialize and calibrate OK. Be sure to keep all of the cables clear of the pan axis. When its in FPV mode then the pan axis will lock onto the models heading.

nemorov

I have a slightly different problem where the mount initializes fine and is rock solid for the first 5 mins of a flight but then it stops responding to my inputs and just drifts around randomly. Anyone got any ideas on curing this?

nemorov

I've now tried running a seperate 6s power supply to the mount as I thought it may be that as the power on my 4s copter power drops it was losing the control but thats not the case. Still get rock solid control for about 5 mins and then we lose control of the gimbal and its starts doing its own thing. So still looking for the cause. Off to Borneo with it tomorrow 6am so could be a long night or lots of short flights on location...

jmanphotos

I also have issues with the startup of the Zenmuse for the NEX7. The gimbal keeps spinning and doesn't initialise.
Anyone had this same issue and fixed it ?

nemorov

I often find that the gimbal doesnt initialise. If I depower it and repower it, it will then initialise. I have rebalanced my Z15 after a crash and I get the feeling that the Gimbal doesnt initialize if its not in perfect balance.
I still have drifting issues though and my Gimbal will be going back to DJI soon as I have a break when i dont need it.
These things are quite finiky but stick with it as the stabilization is way ahead of anything else out there - I have professional tripods thats aren't that steady!!

gavin

jmanphotos

I often find that the gimbal doesnt initialise. If I depower it and repower it, it will then initialise. I have rebalanced my Z15 after a crash and I get the feeling that the Gimbal doesnt initialize if its not in perfect balance.
I still have drifting issues though and my Gimbal will be going back to DJI soon as I have a break when i dont need it.
These things are quite finiky but stick with it as the stabilization is way ahead of anything else out there - I have professional tripods thats aren't that steady!!

gavin

Thanks for the info.
I think the whole DJI system is awesome. You're right that its waaay ahead of anything else out there. For me, having stuffed around with Gyro's on my other gimbal .. this is a breath of fresh air.
Is one supposed to adjust the trims on the Z15 at all ?

fritz99

gavin

I have the same problem !
Today it did not initialise at all.
It always went round and round...........
It seems that the zenmuse is behaving every day in an other way.

Fritz

DennyR

If your gimbal is turning the wrong way then it means that the IMU is not pointing to the same front as the gimbal. IT IS EASY TO PUT THE AIRFRAME ON BACKWARDS?

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
I've had mine for a few months now and have noticed some drift occasionally but figured it was just a tweak. Other than that I find it helps to work it a little before take off. If I don't it won't sit level, puts the horizon off by 10deg in fpv mode. When I do it will then return to level for the duration of the flight no matter how many times I switch back and forth. It's kind of like your body, you wouldn't go for a 10k run without warming up. Never had an initialization issue but then again I had two very experienced dji pro's set it up for me. (thankfully)

fritz99

Hello !

I had a "flip of death" with a S800 a zenmuse and a "new" GPS before DJI told us about the firmwareproblem.
I could repair the S800 but the zenmuse does not work now.
I send it back to kopterworx for warranty repair.
I hope that DJI will repair it very fast.
The problem is, that I have to make some pictures for somebody and now I do not have a zenmuse.
Kopterworx refused to send me a spare zenmuse.

Fritz