Yuckie day, stupid question

cootertwo

OK, I'm down here in SW Florida. It's raining, cold and wet. So it's time for me to post another stupid question. I fried an ESC the other day, and even though I aired out the house yesterday, it still smells! So my question is for any electronic engineers out there. Just what is it that stinks so bad, on most of these electronic components that go up in smoke, for one reason, or the other? Is it the plastic/ceramic stuff the IC's are made of, or the stuff that the circuit boards are covered with? or just what is it actually? I had put the burnt ESC in the garbage, but yesterday, I took it out, and put it in a jar of water. Took it out this morning, and the smell still permeates the air. Strange stuff. I think it's biological material from an alien world! Burning flesh, so to speak! Ha!o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

violetwolf

Hahah sorry no answer for your plight, but I'll trade you Vancouver cold and wet for your Florida cold and wet today :)

cootertwo

No thank you. This Miami born native doesn't get along with the cold very well! On a plus side, the cold weather here has allowed me to keep the windows open, and the dreaded "I made a boo boo stink" is leaving the area! Ha!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
what part of the ESC burned up? it might be the epoxy that holds the layers of the PCB together, epoxy is pretty toxic when it burns, like an acrid burning plastic smell

i know when the FET's burn it's intense enough to melt the surrounding solder which usually makes the electrical problem a lot worse as things begin to short out. there's usually a fire involved :(

that video reminds me i still have to lose about 15 pounds. it happened a while ago, maybe three years? i think i still have those shoes!

cootertwo

Ha! Bart, mine did the same exact thing, except on my desk! I quickly unplugged it, blew out the flame, waited, looked, checked ??? plugged it back in, and it took off into flames AGAIN! That time, I clipped the wires. Hooked up a new ESC, and no more problems. Just one of those many weird things we come across I guess?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it probably blew a FET. the FET's are the crazy high speed switches that send synchronized power to the poles of the motors.