Yet another newbie build thread!

shiftty

Hey guys and gals, newbie here. I'm Matt, currently building my first quad after being absolutely blown away by the video footage on youtube. I intend to use this almost solely for video/FPV, and probably not much at all for acrobatic, etc. I intend to turn this into a commercial venture ideally, especially given the recent court ruling and crossing my fingers for more good news in the near future on this front. This build is in between a beginner build and a parts-reuse build, as if this thing can pay for itself, I'll likely graduate rapidly into pro-quality gear.

TIA for any advice or suggestions! Would love to hear your opinions and thoughts before proceeding (and blowing the rest of my budget)

Current part list:

RX/TX - Turnigy 9x, waiting for parts to flash with 9xr and upgrade to backlit

Turnigy HAL frame

QBrain ESC (4x25) - D'oh, just realized these are only for use with 2S-4S, so I'll have to switch, probably use Afro flashed with simonk...

SunnySky 3508 580KV

Turnigy Nano-tech 5S, 5000mah 35-70C lipo

Various 11x4.7 SF props, have a set of CF to try when I get it figured out..

Knockoff BL gimbal mount

IMAX B6-AC Charger

I have a pretty good eCalc:

View attachment 16714

Now, on to the big question I have (at least for now!): Which FC to choose? Not only is there a dearth of supply, but there is so much information out there, it's daunting trying to choose. I initially was thinking KK, but I know that I will want GPS in the very near future. Multiwii seems to be better for acrobatic, with not as much emphasis on flight modes that are important to my project. I don't have the budget for XAir.

So, I keep coming back around to Naza. What are the advantages of going with the V2 over the Lite? I'd love to be able to afford the A2 or WK obviously.

Again, TIA for any comments or suggestions! This place is a wealth of knowledge for newbs like me!

Edit: In lieu of starting another thread, why is there so little info on prop guards? It seems that the safety factor in this sport/hobby is large enough to warrant a discussion, but the only thing I see are the (now discontinued) SafeFlight frames (or whatever they were called).

Attachments

• $$$$$$$$$SunnySky_X3508S-20(580)__4S1P_1147.jpg
    $$$$$$$$$SunnySky_X3508S-20(580)__4S1P_1147.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 361
Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

One thing I noticed right off the bat is that your Motors, ESC and your battery selection doesn't match. You will fry the motors and the ESC with that battery. You need to pay attention to the number of cells/voltage of the battery and the requirements of the parts you're using. The battery you have chosen is 5S (18.5V) Your motor can only handle up to 4S (14.8V) and your ESC is the same (you already noticed that about your ESC selection). You either need to change your battery or your motors and ESC or there will be instant disaster.

The prop choice may also be a bit too small for that motor.

Welcome to the madness!

shiftty

Wow, I hadn't even seen that the SS motors limit was 14.8... Thanks. Also, you are correct, with a 4S battery, eCalc likes a 13x4 better, slightly higher estimated flight time, but less estimate hover time.

However, this brings my hover throttle up to 59%. Any suggestions as to whether I should change my motor selection or bump up to 14" and accept the shorter flight time and/or bump up the battery to a higher mah (and cost)?

SoCal Blur

Wow, I hadn't even seen that the SS motors limit was 14.8... Thanks. Also, you are correct, with a 4S battery, eCalc likes a 13x4 better, slightly higher estimated flight time, but less estimate hover time.

However, this brings my hover throttle up to 59%. Any suggestions as to whether I should change my motor selection or bump up to 14" and accept the shorter flight time and/or bump up the battery to a higher mah (and cost)?

59% is actually fine. You want it at least at 50% and a little higher means that you're loading the props better and the quad should be a little less twitchy. You just don't want to go too much higher than 59%.

As far as motor / prop selection, the best way is to just plug in different options in eCalc to get as close to the results you are looking for. Bigger props usually means lower Kv motors and moving up to 6S batteries to get the most efficiency...but there are many variables. Remember, eCalc is just a guideline. The real-world performance may be better or worse than indicated.

jbrumberg

Welcome Shifty- I have the HAL frame. I like it, but it is heavy. The motor mounts will bend on hard impacts, but can be re-bent back to a decent shape. A lot of builders have problems with the Q-brain 4X25A because it does not wire up "by the numbers" if they are using the KK2.0/2.1 FCB's. Do not forget the 10 pack of 10cm 3 pin servo wires to connect the RX to the FCB (everyone forgets these servo wires). You do not need props guards. If you think that you need prop guards maybe you get a smaller "trainer" quad to get some practice flying time in and get some comfort level flying (which is a good idea anyway). I would buy extra props and motors in anticipation for the damages that will occur in the early stages of the learning curve because you will crash and break stuff. Gemfans SF's (CW and CCW) are not the best balanced brand new, but they are ~ok for those first learning props, HQProps (SF's, CW, CCW) are better balanced, brand new and almost as reasonable pricewise. Balancing props is important, but not imperative in the early stages of the learning curve, but this is also dependent upon which FCB you decide upon. Some FCB's are very sensitive to vibration. The KK2.0/2.1 FCB's are robust boards and appear immune to the effects of vibration. If you are interested in the HAL frame this link is a HAL build guide that is pretty decent: http://oddcopter.com/2012/12/12/easy-diy-quadcopter-build-part-1-the-parts-list/

Good luck.

shiftty

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions! I decided to stick with the motors (SunnySky X3508-580) and work around the 4S limit. Decent numbers on both 13 and 14" props, definitely the way to go.

13"
View attachment 16988

14"

View attachment 16989

(edit) I don't even know if I can mount 14" props. This thing is going to big one big spinning prop.

I decided to forego the difficulty of the FC at the moment, as I need to get this thing built and start learning how to fly it! So, I decided to just spend the cash and get the NAZA M V2. Just got that and don't have my batteries yet, so no idea how that is going to work out.

Regarding batteries, as mentioned above, my motors are limited to 4S, but my rookie *** got good numbers out of eCalc, so I went ahead and ordered a couple nano-tech 5S 5500mah's without checking the data sheet. Waiting for the slow boat from HK for the 4S's.

Also, thanks to you guys for finally convincing me to buy a micro to learn on... I got a Syma X-1 binded (bound?) to my Turnigy 9X and it is awesome. I have crashed it enough to scare the hell out of taking the main quad up, heh. Speaking of the 9X, I should have the USBasp tomorrow to flash e9Xr (and the backlight).

I have a couple QBrains, so I might try them, but think I am probably going to switch to independent ESC's in the near future.

Moral of this thread: Calm down and plan more before you start ordering parts!

Attachments

• SunnySky_X3508S-20(580)__4S1P_1347.jpg
    SunnySky_X3508S-20(580)__4S1P_1347.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 423
  • SunnySky_X3508S-20(580)__4S1P_1447.jpg
    SunnySky_X3508S-20(580)__4S1P_1447.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 338

wolph42

(edit) I don't even know if I can mount 14" props. This thing is going to big one big spinning prop.

i would suggest you check out my calculator which i created for exactly that purpose (link in sig). I checked and IF your wheelbase is 585 (it does not say, it only says 'width') THEN the max your frame can handle is:16" (with a very slim margin, so im inclined to say 15" max).

jbrumberg

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1662630&nojs=1#goto_threadtools

Shifty the above posted link is a thread about the HAL frame. I was curious as to the size prop you are thinking of using. I measured mine and a 14" would clear the dome. I read through quite a few of those posts in that thread I linked. A couple of HAL O/O's use 13" and 14" props, but the majority of flyers use 8", 9", and 10" with 10" seeming to be the most popular. I kept reading in that thread from some posters that at least with the HAL it appears that larger slower spinning props seem to pose greater challenges for the flight controllers than smaller faster spinning props.

Just an FYI.

Good Luck.

shiftty

It's taken me much longer than planned, which I pretty much expected. It still hasn't flown other than hover testing, hoping to change that this weekend.

Ignore the landing gear, it's temporary only...

Busch Light can for scale:

View attachment 18646

Main chassis

View attachment 18647

Second platform

View attachment 18648

3rd platform, sans props

View attachment 18650

Short list of components'recent additions so far:

Turnigy 9x Dead, tried to solder a USBASP to it and it did not work out...
Taranis x8r Tx/Rx - Love it
13x4.7 Turnigy props
14x4.5
Afro 20A ESC's - I abandoned the Qbrain ESC in favor of serviceability

Still a ways to go before prime time. Also working on my ground station, harbor freight case, 17" LCD panel from an old laptop, details to come.

Attachments

• 20140610_002743 (Medium).jpg
    20140610_002743 (Medium).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 20140610_002307 (Medium).jpg
    20140610_002307 (Medium).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 20140610_002238 (Medium).jpg
    20140610_002238 (Medium).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 341
  • 20140610_002057 (Medium).jpg
    20140610_002057 (Medium).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 330

shiftty

Flew it officially today, but had to remove the gimbal (sans Gopro already) because it is so far out of balance. Plan is to have aluminum or CF legs at the extremities for stability.

Hovers at just below 50%, very happy with that.

PROGRESS!

shiftty

Any suggestions on clamps to attach straight CF legs on the arms? 14mm tubing, googling is coming up short. Thinking about having some 3D printed, anyone seen anything like that?

View attachment 18835

Attachments

• 20140610_002743 (Medium).jpg
    20140610_002743 (Medium).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 338