X8 and Hex redundancy with pixhawk?

Vermiform

I've read where several people recommend Octo, X8 or Hex for professional video because it gives some redundancy in case of ESC/Motor Failure......depending on the flight controller you use.

Does the Pixhawk perform about as well as other FCs in terms of compensating and chances of getting your bird safely back to the ground in case of mechanical failure?

dazzab

Interesting that you would ask this now as I just posted a very similar question to one of the lead developers of Arducopter (the software the Pixhawk uses) on DIYDrones. See this thread if interested. He said that if one motor failed on an X8 that four motors would be effected increasing the hover rate by 25% and reducing the thrust by 50%. Essentially this statement means you need a copter that has enough power to fly on only four motors to achieve true redundancy. Yep, I know, sounds crazy and I'm sure a lot of experts here will start throwing out technical numbers. I'm quite shocked by it as it basically means that a typical X8 with payload actually does not have the main feature I fly an X8 for which is redundancy.

My SkyJib X8 actually threw a top prop off once and honestly it flew as though nothing at all had happened. It didn't have a payload on it at the time so it had lots of extra power. But it uses a Wookong FC so I can't say if they work differently or not. I'd sure like to know.

I've had a single motor failure twice on my Aeronavics hexacopter when it had a SuperX FC on it and it in no way recovered. It did manage to stay level but it fell from the sky as though I had shut all the motors off. This was with no payload so it had plenty of power available. I seriously doubt the claims that DJI make about having code that can handle a motor outage on a hex. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate that.

dazzab

I don't think any of the flight controllers offer true redundancy for a Hex. I'd really like for someone to send a link to a video showing how a DJI flight controller handles a motor outage as I've heard claims that they can do it.

My concern with that thread is that unless I'm missing something they are saying there is no practical redundancy with either an X8 or flat Octo with the Pixhawk if the copter hovers at over a 50% rate. That's a real concern for me. I'd really like to see some test videos of that as well.