Wow! Just... wow!

Very nice work indeed! I believe the first sequence was shot with the multi-going on a head on with the truck then pupped up and away. The truck could have been going 10 - 15 mph in the making and the sequence was subsequenly speed up. It remains a super innovative productions with outstanding aerial sequences! There is no limit to the imagination, and the capabilities of the multirotors have only been scratched on the surface. I am certain that there will be other examples of this very exciting technologies!

ChrisViperM

The guy behind this vid is Henning Sandström from Sweden.....

http://henningsandstrom.com/

He is also the guy behind this vid (which most of us have seen already....)

Description copied from the Youtube site:

"Henning Sandstrom stopped by FreeFly HQ on his way to Maui to teach
me how to film beautiful forest scenes like he does so well!

The
weather was really challenging, but we got the chance to do a few
flights with the newly completed 3 axis gimbal. This video shows the
gimbal with a Sony FS100 and 18-55 lens.

Henning also was flying his CineStar 8 for some of the zoomed in shots with a 160mm lens equivalent (Canon 100mm lens on 7D)

We shot the behind the scenes with a RED EPIC at 300FPS.

Really fun to get to see how Henning works his magic and get to feed him some huge American cheeseburgers"

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

So hard to catch up to these people. Wonderful techniques. We're seeing cinematic mind first, multirotor second work flow. These are truly tools of the trade.

Stacky

Nick I dont think they are too far ahead. Firstly they are using the best gear, even going from a gopro to a better camera gives you a big boost in how good your footage looks. Add in techniques as clever use of slowing footage and software stabilization with footage somewhere interesting or exotic and you start to get closer. The Scania footage will have involved more than a couple of ad agency creatives working out the style, mood and angles shot even before Henning gets to it. When you get to work with the top level creatives from ad agencies you get to see that half the battle is getting the opportunity. For example food photography is actually more about the food stylist than the photographer, Im not belittling Hennings work here just pointing out those big productions are mostly a collaboration of many skilled people.
Henning is superb at what he does and very talented which you can see in his non commissioned work which is why he gets the chance to work at the top level but for the rest of us if we are careful and make use of all the tools and little tricks we can get closer to what Henning does than we might think.

Plan a shoot, choose an interesting subject, shoot it multiple times till you get your head around it and then work cleverly with the video editing and you can surprise yourself with what you can do.

The hard bit is Henning gets to do this day in day out and with that gets to hone his craft. We dont get that chance down at our level.

So hard to catch up to these people. Wonderful techniques. We're seeing cinematic mind first, multirotor second work flow. These are truly tools of the trade.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ok, I get it, very nicely done. It seems like just yesterday people were saying that stable video would never be shot with rigid frame multi-rotor helicopters.

we're making progress!

jes1111

I haven't tackled video yet myself - but I'm looking forward to it ;) Videos like this one certainly set the bar high!

Watching many "look at what I shot videos" on here I see exactly the same successes/failures as with still shots. The distinguishing factor (in both video and stills) between the "interesting" and "the rest" seems to me to be "pre-visualisation". That's just a fancy description for "thinking about the shot before attempting it", i.e. planning in advance the exact shot you're after and, as Stacky says, pursuing it relentlessly until you've "got it". In that respect stills and video are very much alike - good results rarely happen spontaneously - there's usually a great deal of planning, forethought, trial and error, teamwork, persistence and dogged determination - none of which is directly "visible" in the end result - except, of course, it's written all over it! ;)

nicwilke

Well, the NEX-5n is sold, and I'll splash out on a PJ710, its the Australian version of the CX730 but with a projector screen (YUCK DONT WANT IT BUT HAVE NO CHOICE).
I dont see there's much difference in the competition that is enough that will justify any more research. 9/10 video projects I am getting are for HD online delivery now, which is odd but I guess makes the bigger differences negligible.

Stacky

Jes the best thing about video, even if its a rubbish one is you get a double buzz, first the flying and then checking the footage after landing, no matter how bad it is. You will love it, tons of fun.

ChrisViperM

Jes the best thing about video, even if its a rubbish one is you get a double buzz, first the flying and then checking the footage after landing, no matter how bad it is. You will love it, tons of fun.

How did Forrest Gump phrase it: Filming with Multirotors is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get :tennis:

Chris

3dheliguy

Amazing Video that's why I like to fly anything you can think of with enough hard work you can create it. Just amazing, truely a production reel. It's nice to see what the top guys are doing up there.