Wookong M Octocopter gain settings and issues

Hoping you guys might be able to help. Yesterday i test flew my octo in almost no wind for the first time. I was running the same motors and esc combo on a hexacopter which worked great but now im having problems. My gain settings are 100 across the board in the dji wkm settings but the copter responds very poorly to gusts or yaw movements. I am also noticing that on rare occasions when i star the octo and arm the motors some times motor one or motor three will make a noise and not start up but the others will. All soldering is perfect.

So test flying again today before an AP job i could fly the heli fine but any gusts or yaw movement in either direction while flying the copter away or back to me would cause it to over react and it felt unstable but eventually corrected itself if i let off the sticks.

The issue is greatly compounded by any movement of the gimbal. We put a lightweight nex5n on to test and the second the gimbal would move the copter became incredibly sensative to stick inputs and ended up breaking a skid. Quite a bit of wobble. We played with gain settings for two hours with little luck. I seemed to get smoith flight at 80% gains but still had no luck with any gimbal control what so ever. Finally the copter appears to drift slowly right and back which is an obvious magnetic or gps issue.

Carbon Core 1000 Octocopter:

DJI Wookong M Flight Controller set to octo i mode (not v)
2x 5800 6s 30c Zippy Batteries
8x 420kv Turnigy Multistar Motors
8x 45 AMP Turnigy Multistar ESC’s
PhotoshipOne 3x Pro v2

My questions are, what gain settings would be apropriate, are lower values common? Also what may be causing the flight controller to have such instability issues.

This setup flew rock solid as a hex! Any insight would be helpful.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
No I have a Droidworx frame and 200 is way too high - may crash if set too high (personal experience). Just over 100 seems to work well for my Doridworx HL octo. Put the gain into a control knob and adjust it on the fly. Problem is with the way DJI has it setup to do this you have to give up special flight modes.

Last edited by a moderator:

My SkyJib 8 was extremely unstable this morning. 10-15mph winds fairly steady. Av200, 2 maxamps 6s10900's and a gopro3 just for testing. Flew great with this setup last Saturday. Gains were default at 100 across the board. Still trying to figure it out in my head. At hover with no input from me.. it was dancing all over the place and yawing to the right as well on its own. Unsettling to say the least.