WKM flashing red led at start up??

iceman

Had a job on the weekend and after arming the system i noticed a continuous red flashing led (wkm on firmware 5.20), this lasted for about 30-40 seconds before returning to normal. Decided not to chance a flight so powered down and on again and the same thing happened, after a while the normal mode and satellite status indication flashed. This was not a second level battery warning (tried another set), was down in a valley and never got full sat lock only came down to one red flash. Been flying this configuration for 2 years and never a problem, I'm aware the continuous red flashing led is a failed calibration or other error, however DJI manual does not say what the "other error" could be, anyone got any ideas?

Decided not to fly without a reason for the anomaly but when i got home (70miles drive) I tested the FC and it responded as normal.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Usually that red blinking refers to Return to Home. Could your return to home have been on? Radio signal failing which sent it into Failsafe ie. RTH?

I have had places that have had high metal content underground, pipes, copper and it has done some weird things. I was in a valley near a copper mine and my rig would auto yaw or show magnetic interference, and this rig had 100's of flights before this.

iceman

Thanks for your response, it wasn't RTH, my WKM flashes blue in RTH and I don't have it on a switch only set as FS and controller was working fine as I could switch modes and arm etc. I was in a valley with a metal garden gazebo about 5m out from the take off point so perhaps given your experience it could have been that. It would help if DJI could list what they describe as "other problem" regarding flashing red LED.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
TIt would help if DJI could list what they describe as "other problem" regarding flashing red LED.

Yea, that would really help.

Last thought, had you tried to calibrate the compass in that area? I know that metal content underground can screw up the compass, and that would make sense if it was throwing a compass error. And if you moved the rig around to a slightly different spot and it wasn't getting some weird magnetic abnomoly it could have righted itself. Which is kind of the situation you described.

iceman

Thanks SleepyC, I think it may well have worked if I had had a chance to move the rig/recalibrate the compas but unfortunately it started to rain (not in the forecast, British weather you know!) but all worked just fine back at HQ. I have to go back to the same location at some point so it will be interesting to see what happens, I have found an alternative takeoff point that might work better next time, will post results here if I can repeat the last experience.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Thanks SleepyC, I think it may well have worked if I had had a chance to move the rig/recalibrate the compas but unfortunately it started to rain (not in the forecast, British weather you know!) but all worked just fine back at HQ. I have to go back to the same location at some point so it will be interesting to see what happens, I have found an alternative takeoff point that might work better next time, will post results here if I can repeat the last experience.

Excellent. There is nothing worse than "not knowing".
:D