Wind Test on ADX3 & PH AV130

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Braved 10 / 12mph winds today toget some pictures of yachts on my local lake. While I was there I thought I would take some video and see how the tilt and roll coped with the wind. I seem to have an issue with the roll as it seems to not move the gimbal back to level. You can see in the video below the horizon is out. I am nose left of wind direction by about 30º...any suggestions

As you can see the FC PH worked quite well. I did not have on Alt hold so the decrease and increase in elevation is my doing

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have similar issues with my AD-6 and also on the stock MK with HiSight II mount and I'm beginning to think much of the problem lies in the MK flight controller board and the coding of how it handles the roll compensation. When it's working hard to hold position against the wind it seems like its reading the force being applied to correct for the wind as being farther off level than it really is and it applies incorrect correction to the mount based on that, that's my guess.

Yesterday I went to the field with all of the multis I have capable of flight at the moment and got some interesting results. It was very windy, sustained speeds of 10 to 14 mph with gusts to over 20 according to the national weather service, and both the AD-6 heavy lifter and stock Mk had a fight to maintain postion and altitude though both did very well considering the conditions. I was doing video with the AD-6 and stills with the stock Hexa, if I have a chance later I'll post up some examples of what I got from each. All I can say after looking at both is I'm glad it wasn't me up there getting bashed around by the wind!

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I think I have sussed it. I did some testing a home and found that it only did it when the bird was leaning to the right. The camera gimbal overcompensated and leaned to far left. When I leaned it as thought the wind was coming from the left the mount was dead level. I mucked around with the compensation and found that the lower I went from 40 the less the gimbal was out with the right lean but had no affect on the left lean. I have now got it down to 25 which seems to keep the gimbal level in both right and left leans.. well in the kitchen at least. Testing required

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
You might find that it doesn't compensate quick enough in windy conditions with the setting that low. I've been all over the range with mine trying to get it perfect and the best I can do is "close enough". Now that I think of it, you have the new Savox servos and my Pro Mini has the older set so yours may not work quite the same as mine.

And that reminds me, I guess I have to ping the folks where I bought the mount to see what's up with the replacement servos, several weeks ago they said they were waiting for them to arrive...

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I still dont think it is that quick to respond, but I aint seen your servo movement. If I get chance ill film the movement and you can see how quick it reacts. The nick is quick and smooth but the roll is not so quick but it is very smooth in operation. If I get level gimbal thats all that matters, I quite like the slowish smooth roll it makes my flying look smoother!

What does the servo refresh rate do.. anything? I am guessing the manual speed would be for a gimbal with only roll like on my Gaui and the nick is done by a switch in to three positions, I am guesing the manual speed is how fast the servo operates to move the nick to the next position.. Yes/No?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Great Minds eh.. was thinking of approaching the Yacht Club to se if they want any photos.. I only went there coz a Sefton Ranger kicked me off the beach while I was setting up to take some of the kite surfers..

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Fox.. no its the as delivered set up. It has the new Savox servos. I have read some where about people frying stuff by trying to give more voltage to the servos but I am all ears if it makes it work better.

Dave

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Great Minds eh.. was thinking of approaching the Yacht Club to se if they want any photos.. I only went there coz a Sefton Ranger kicked me off the beach while I was setting up to take some of the kite surfers..

They like kicking people off the beach,used to do it to me when I was landsurfing and kitebuggying.I did get eventually get a permit,but a a bad back and dodgy shoulders forced me to take up less strenuous hobbies such as this.;)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok so now I think I have it sorted out and is working pretty much as good as I can get it. I do wonder what it would be like with more voltage at the servo's.. Has anyone fitted the stuff to give a full 6volts to the servos?

I have videoed the mount and ADX3 in action here

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

I'd try some more scientific testing. First, I'd only test/tune with the camera mounted. Tape a keychain/pen laser pointer to the mount plate. Rest the frame across some supports such that you can rock/tilt the frame while you watch the laser spot on a wall.