Will AirDog put us out of business? Drone will follow you anywhere...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Roll on the Netherlands legislation.

Ive just been buzzed by a Phantom in my own back yard, I tried to follow it back to where it came but I lost it.

Cant believe it! Her indoors was ranting for me to shoot the fooker down!

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Saw a quick segment on CNBC this week about a Kickstarter campaign, drone makers Helico Aerospace announced this week of their forthcoming AirDog drone. Full story on AppleInsider - http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-auto-following-drone-adds-obstacle-avoidance.

http://www.airdog.com/

Looks interesting, another marketing scheme of boundless potential or DJI Phantom competitor that could fill the skies?

Like many of these Kickstarter things, I'll believe it when I see it!

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
The Airdog is actually using Arducopter. So the follow-me functionality is already pretty much there. The problem is that it will autonomously follow you just fine, just don't ski around the back-side of a tree, because it'll follow you right through the tree. This is going to be the issue with these things. It's pretty hard to do extreme sports, while simultaneously predicting and planning the flight-path of your drone.

FlyGirl

Roll on the Netherlands legislation.

Ive just been buzzed by a Phantom in my own back yard, I tried to follow it back to where it came but I lost it.

Cant believe it! Her indoors was ranting for me to shoot the fooker down!

Dave, that happened to me when I was at that lake.... I was walking down to the waterfront with my Y6 and heard the familiar buzz. I look up to see a Phantom go scooting above the trees. We quickly ran down to the waterfront and slapped on the FatSharks, found his channel, and started watching. The guy was a good flyer, I'll give him that. Most of the time he stayed low and didn't take chances but he did zoom up to about 800 ft AGL according to his OSD. I never did find the guy, never saw it again while I was there, but I do know what he looks like cuz he took about a 1 minute "selfie". LOL!

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
This thing is an accident waiting to happen. There's a long list of things that just aren't very well thought out. What happens when the guy on the ski slope next to you has one, too? And what happens when you're near a tree or a power line or a building (or anything other than clear air)? And how do you know when the battery is low and you have to land? Someday with enough sensors this might work. Might.

Kilby

Dave, that happened to me when I was at that lake.... I was walking down to the waterfront with my Y6 and heard the familiar buzz. I look up to see a Phantom go scooting above the trees. We quickly ran down to the waterfront and slapped on the FatSharks, found his channel, and started watching. The guy was a good flyer, I'll give him that. Most of the time he stayed low and didn't take chances but he did zoom up to about 800 ft AGL according to his OSD. I never did find the guy, never saw it again while I was there, but I do know what he looks like cuz he took about a 1 minute "selfie". LOL!

Where did that happen? Around here?

FlyGirl

Where did that happen? Around here?

Hi ya Terry! Nope, it was up in northern Pennsylvania, thankfully in the middle of nowhere, while I was on vacation. The area does have very occasional low flying aircraft who like to buzz the lake and an ultralight that flies over sometimes but truly it's pretty empty airspace. Still, it made me a little angry... I would have liked to have found him. You can see there's not much there....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

This is pretty wild. I guess it's great for an open space. It may even less fly away issues since it's paired with a ground based locater.

Dewster

This is pretty wild. I guess it's great for an open space. It may even less fly away issues since it's paired with a ground based locater.

Old Man

The Airdog is actually using Arducopter. So the follow-me functionality is already pretty much there. The problem is that it will autonomously follow you just fine, just don't ski around the back-side of a tree, because it'll follow you right through the tree. This is going to be the issue with these things. It's pretty hard to do extreme sports, while simultaneously predicting and planning the flight-path of your drone.

Found out how that works with UAV's. Don't upload a lost comm return route unless you first verify there's not a mountain in the middle higher than the flight plan......