Why cant I bring myself to buy Turnigy Plush esc's?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
After waiting for 28 minutes to hear an answer to the ETA on arrival for the turnigy plush esc's from Hobby king, I hung up. My last Hobby King order was a disaster and I promised myself I would never order from them. yet a few people are saying the plushes are the best most economical esc's out there. Monto and the others charging 2-3 times the price for maytechs. It seems the community has narrowed down the tried and true to Hobbywing, maytech and Plush's. My question is if all 3 of these ar supposedly the same esc, then why do my maytechs have a heatsink, 2 resistors and the option for 16khz? Not sure what direction to go but I am either using DJI again or HFP if they can prove themselves worthy of a pro rig. Is there anywhere else to buy the turnigy's?

Bowley

I switched to Turnigy Plush's about 6 months ago. I have them on my Naza/XA X650, dji f450 and both my SR's. Have not had one fail as yet.......touch wood!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm willing to give them a chance if it doesnt involve another HobbyKing bad experience. By chance does anyone know the ETA for restocking these?

I have 9 plush 60 and 9 plush 40 if you are interested. I was intending on using them, I even soldered the power end on a distribution board but then I saw a post of how nice the Herkules II flies so I removed them and bought that instead. Never been powered up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
at the HK site, put your email address in for an email notification when they're back in stock. then be ready to order as soon as the email arrives.

forgot to mention, they're capacitors not resistors.

bart

kloner

Aerial DP
alot of US shops have the turnigy stuff, but looking around they only show to 18 amp.......

I have the hobbywing old school esc's running on a naza and love the way it flies. slight more wobble cause not simonk flashed, but there killer for the money. i took off the cover and put bullets straight to the board like dji does and both sides have heatsinks. there from ebay, yellow ones.

heres a bunch of plush options
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=turnigy+plush&_sacat=0

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Here's helpful hint regarding the Maytech V1 ESCs, they are EXACTLY the same hardware under the shrinkwrap as the Hobbyking Blue Series ESCs which are 1/3 the price. Not the Mystery Blue, but the original Blue Series which they still sell, list price is $9 and some change as I recall for the 30amp version. It's also visually one of the better manufactured ESCs I've seen, good clean solder joints and well aligned components, not the usual slapped together crap I've seen on many of the less expensive ESCs, and that includes the Plush line.

Had I known this a while back my Cinestar would be flying on reflashed Blue Series instead of the reflashed Maytechs it has now, same hardware, same firmware, same performance, 1/3 the cost...

Ken

P.S. looks like the price went up a bit on the Blues, $10.47 each now and in stock... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...0A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controller.html

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ken, are they just visually the same or are they actually manufactured in the same plant? Do the plush esc's REQUIRE flashing to work properly on the DJI? I really dont want to deal with this BS if I dont have to. My maytechs work great so far. I am inclined to get them again but hearing about the blue's is interesting. I often wonder what the differences are in all the esc's like the brick and Hobbywings fun fly (i think thats the name) from Hobbypartz.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ken,

what's involved in re-flashing the Blue's and what is being changed? is there enough of an improvement to justify the effort and does the re-flash effect reliability at all?

Thanks,
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, are they just visually the same or are they actually manufactured in the same plant? Do the plush esc's REQUIRE flashing to work properly on the DJI? I really dont want to deal with this BS if I dont have to. My maytechs work great so far. I am inclined to get them again but hearing about the blue's is interesting. I often wonder what the differences are in all the esc's like the brick and Hobbywings fun fly (i think thats the name) from Hobbypartz.

The Maytech and Blue are exactly the same in all regards, as to whether or not they are made in the same plant I would have to say they are designed and manufactured by the same company, everything is identical when you put one next to the other, actual location of manufacture may differ. I have not run the factory version of the Blue but I would expect they work exactly the same as the factory Maytech, I've looked at the manual for the Blue Series and a large portion of it is exactly the same text as the Maytech manual which I have several copies of on hand. Having run stock Maytech, reflashed Maytech and reflashed Blue series, I would not spend the extra $ to buy any more Maytech as long as the Blue series are available. I know from direct experience the Plush do in fact work better with the reflashed firmware, however they do NOT require it unless you plan to use them with a Naza controller, that's the only way I have been able to get them to work reliably with that F/C.

ken,

what's involved in re-flashing the Blue's and what is being changed? is there enough of an improvement to justify the effort and does the re-flash effect reliability at all?

Thanks,
Bart

Same as reflashing any other Atmel based ESC, you need the proper copy of SimonK firmware for that ESC and a device that can do in system programming of Atmel processors. You can read all about the process here, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513678 There is a significant and noticeable difference between factory and reflashed. Reflashing the Maytechs allowed me to increase the props size on the Cinestar/WKm from 11 x 5 Graupners to 12 x 6 APC thin electric and still maintain the same or better level of overall stability and it's nowhere near as sensitive to changes in the gain settings now, I have a much larger range of adjustments I can make without inducing wobble on one end or sluggish response on the other.

I use an AVRISP mkII programmer to do the reflashing, once you have the proper cable made for a particular ESC then it literally takes a minute or less to do the reflash, it takes longer to get the shrink wrap off, connect the cable, then reshrink wrap the ESC at the end. So far I have found the reflashed versions to be a lot smoother than the standard firmware, as for ultimate reliability I had an issue with an older version of the firmware that was causing motors to lose timing but that has long since been resolved and they have been completely reliable since then, time will tell if they last any longer or shorter than an unmodified ESC.

Ken

RCNut

Ive been using the Turnigy Plushes for a number of years in everything I fly but my flamewheel and I've never had a failure. This includes around 25 fixed wing models from park flyers and warbirds to EDFs as well as a home build tricopter. Yes they're often out of stock at HK because they're so popular. I usually just click the option to email me when they're in stock, then grab some the moment they come in. I've placed a huge number of orders through HK over the years and never had a problem.

The only reason they're not in my flamewheel is that I bought the kit complete with the opto ESCs so didn't need to source any.

steph280

I have been using the Plush for a long time as well, before they were "discovered" in the multicopter world which made them hard to come by. Never had as much as a hiccup, and always perform as expected.

I read somewhere the Plush are just rebadged Hobbywings. However, the current Plush do not use ATMEL processors anymore, so they can NOT be flashed with SimonK firmware.

I am running 6 of those Mystery ESCs and they are pretty good, even without flashing. They are identical to the Hobby King Blue series, and according to people in the know, are very well built ESCs.

I am just glad I don't have to run MK's I2C crap anymore...

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Are there any bad esc's? Seems they, and everything else from China, comes from 1 or 2 factories that all rebrand things. My friend came over with his knock-off F450 he got RTF for under $150 with a KK board. Looked exactly like my DJI less the shaved off name plate.

I just looked at the Turnigy blue series and it does look exactly like my maytech v1's.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So I go order 9 plush escs and then get an email refunding my money as they are all out of them from rc-drones. uggg.

Ken, you should offer a service to reflash people's esc since you are set up to do it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Funny-I get the 40 amp esc's from us-drones and a few hours later Hobbyking sends me an email saying 30 amp and 40 amp escs are back in stock. Just thought id let you guys know.

Kari

ken,

Thanks,
Bart

Re-flashing is very easy, hardest part was to find instructions to get windows 7 32bit driver working properly with AVRprogrammer. I recommend to buy these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F15205%5F%5FHobby%5FKing%5F30A%5FESC%5F3A%5FUBEC.html
Flashing pins in row so easier to flash, and it's been very reliable for me using these. I just flashed a set of maytechs for test platform to use with YS-X6 and it's also quite easy, just careful soldering. You can also buy ready flashed esc:s from timecop at Abusemark: http://abusemark.com/store/index.ph..._id=27&zenid=31874a8c95c85272a18a1db9ed8f4f66

I received yesterday batch of CC Phoenix 25 esc:s and i'm installing now them to my Cinestar 6. Hope to get it in the air next week, i'll let you know how they work. What i've heard should work at least as good as reflashed ones with latest 4.01 firmware.

Here is picture of HK blue/Maytech, it's 100% same:
View attachment 4523

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 404