Which OSD to buy?

Crasher

I’m a mulitrotor rookie who is in the ordering parts stage of building a DJI 550.
I want a very easy to setup OSD unit that will show GPS coordinates, voltage, mAH used and altitude on screen.I’m leaning towards an ImmersionRC EzOSD unit, maybe the high end one. I've ordered an ImmersionRC FPV transmitter.
Any ideas?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
EZOSD is good but do you really need GPS on a DJI550?

I use no telemetry on my 550 but have the basics on my TBS Discovery through a TBS Core telemetry unit.

Pete

ChrisViperM

The EzOSD is a good product.....I used to have a Eagle Tree OSD, but EzOSD in connection with Immersion FPV stuff is pretty easy to set up.....you can't really go wrong with your choice and find anything easier to set up.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Crasher

EZOSD is good but do you really need GPS on a DJI550? ...

Pete

Pete, my flying area is covered in bushes, brambles and other stuff so deep in many areas that getting through it on a 4 wheeler is iffy. Someplace out there are two DJI Phantoms and a GoPro 3 that maybe, just maybe, I’ll find after several good frosts as long as the snow doesn’t come first.

My plan for the DJI 550 is to record the OSD that has the GPS coordinates on it which should narrow down the search area. BTW, I'm also going to attempt to be a much smarter pilot.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Now I know how you got your name, are they all yours that are lost?

In that case I highly recommend getting an Eagle Tree setup with an Eagle Eyes ground station with LCD panel, it will hold your last known GPS co-ordinates on the screen, pop them into your phone or dedicated GPS and walk straight to your lost MR.

Or you could choose to fly in more open areas and use some big deployable balloons from your MR that inflate on impact.

Cheers

Pete

Crasher

Now I know how you got your name, are they all yours that are lost?
Yep. I'm a slow learner. :-(
RE: Finding a better flying area. Even if I had the time to travel, “safe”
flight areas in my area of rural western New York are few and far between.
There’s nothing but heavy woods, heavy underbrush in the treeless areas or
towns, school yards, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: