Which micro-quad for practice?

Flydigital

I have tried unsuccessfully with 2 Q-BOTs BNF - Both duds and unable to bind with my Turnigy 9x.

I'd like to get a microquad that can bind with my Tx some I'm practicing with the same Tx as my main Hex, plus I'm not doubling up on unnecessary hardware.

Can anyone recommend a good low cost trainer mini quad that can bind with a 9x?

Or alternatively an RTF option that gives you the necessary brain training for flying the big rotors :)

jbrumberg

Mini sized quad +Turnigy 9X Tx = SYMA X1. 3 axis gyroscope corrected only, no accelerometers, requires a little more out of the pilot as to more stick inputting as it is not a 6 axis. I have 4 operational. Cost ~$30. I fly mine every chance I get. Not the best indoor quad as it is a mini. It flies pretty well in winds up to 5mph (~4.3 kts), and can carry a keychain videocam payload.. The stock Tx is cheap. With a programmable Tx like the 9X the X1's performance and range improves significantly. RCG has an amazing thread dedicated to its owner/operators. I obviously have an opinion on these little guys.:highly_amused:

I had trouble binding my Q-BOT as well. I had concerns about that model.

jbrumberg

I posted this somewhere else. It is/was probably more appropriately placed with this post:

"Old Version WL Toys FlySky compatible: V911, 912, 913, 929, 939, 949, 959, and 9x9 (for all the modules). I think now only the V959 and higher series are FlySky compatible; all the others are proprietary.)"

FlySky Tx protocol (AFHDS)) is what all the 9X Tx's use.

I bought my BIL a 913 and a 959 for Christmas believing that at some point if/when we hook up I could try them out with my FS TH9XB, and that he could use just one Tx for both quads.
Now I do not know about this because of old version and new version compatibilities and what he actually received.

"
are" There have been posts over at RCG giving me the impression that some of WL Toy's 3 axis quads now are running on that proprietary Tx-Rx protocol. I do not follow this all that closely because I lost interest in WL Toys awhile ago when they switched to their own proprietary Tx protocol with the V2x2 quads (6 axis) and had all kinds of problems.

Just a heads up. There are other models that can bind with the 9X's I can not remember.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Jay
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flydigital

Thanks Jay. The SYMA X1 looks like the one for me to go for. Looks fun and can also teach me the stick control I'm lacking.

jbrumberg

Enjoy and good luck. A suggestion: Let the motors cool down after a flight for a couple of minutes. They will thank you. For cheap, brushed motors the are pretty decent performers.