Mikrokopter Which Graupner props for a stock Hexa

Buzzed

I have never flown using Graupner props but I'm considering trying them.

I have been flying with 10 X 4.7 APC props.

Which Graupner props do you guys recommend for a stock Hexa and do they require the reducing sleeve? My prop mounts have a 8mm stud.

Last where are you purchasing them?

Thanks!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Buzzed,
RTRyder and I are on the cusp of flying our MK's with Xoar 10x5 wood props. I have Graupners on my Okto but I think the Xoar's are going to be even better. I'm waiting on prop washers, RtRyder's waiting on delivery of the props. I'd hold off if I were you and see what we come up with. Should only be another day or two.
Bart

Buzzed

Buzzed,
RTRyder and I are on the cusp of flying our MK's with Xoar 10x5 wood props. I have Graupners on my Okto but I think the Xoar's are going to be even better. I'm waiting on prop washers, RtRyder's waiting on delivery of the props. I'd hold off if I were you and see what we come up with. Should only be another day or two.
Bart

Thanks Bart I'll do just that.

Bartman

Bartman,
Do you mind telling me where you are getting the Xoars in reverse pitch?

John

John,
I did a special order through Bob's Hobby Shop in Orlando, Florida. I'm probably going to do an order for the 11" props as well but you have to buy at least 15 so I've got to see how my X650 does with the camera and video tx stuff before I commit to that many props.
The props I bought are the PJA and PJA-P. I also had them custom drill the hubs to 5mm so I don't need the 5x8mm adapters for the MK hubs.
The props are stiffer than the Graupners, a bit thicker in the blade and a little deeper in chord in the outer half.
I'll post a report on them as soon as I get them flying. Cedric from 1001copters.com has been using Xoar for a while now.
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have never flown using Graupner props but I'm considering trying them.

I have been flying with 10 X 4.7 APC props.

Which Graupner props do you guys recommend for a stock Hexa and do they require the reducing sleeve? My prop mounts have a 8mm stud.

Last where are you purchasing them?

Thanks!

On a stock frame MK Hexa the only Graupner prop that will fit without any modifications is the 10 x 5 which none of the US MK dealers stock though they do have the 11 x 5. You can use the 11 x 5 Graupners IF you either replace all the arms with the 65mm longer Hexa XL arms, or modify the ends of the 11 x 5 props a bit for clearance though the Graupners are so well balanced out of the box that I would hesitate to do that.

You can get the 10 x 5 size from either of these two places, in the US @... http://www.v-eastonline.com/categories/Propellers/Graupner-E%2dProps/ or from the UK @... http://www.electricwingman.com/propellers/graupner/elektro-prop.aspx

I've gotten all mine from Electricwingman as he seems to pretty much always have stock where in the US its always been hit or miss if they have what you need in the quantity you want.

In order to use either you will need the 8mm to 5mm adaptor bushing which you can get as either the Graupner part or the alloy generic that both US MK dealers now have in their shops.

Ken

Bartman

ken,
cutting the tips off of props and rebalancing them isn't a big deal. doing one prop is very easy. to do eight or ten you might want to make a jig to make the measuring and cutting go faster. once they're cut, shaping the tip to match the original is pretty simple and using fine sandpaper to finish it off and balance it usually leaves a prop that looks stock.
i thought the 11" graupners looked a bit more beefy than the 10's so an 11 cut to 10 will give a little more lift but not much.
bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken you're saying the Graupner's come with a 8mm bore? If that's the case I won't need adapters.

Yes, 8mm bore, that's the main reason I originally made the Delrin adaptors you have a set of, so I could use Graupners on the standard MK motors when everyone was out of the 5mm adaptor hubs.

Bart, I know rebalancing isn't that big of a deal I just don't like to make extra work when its really not necessary. If the Graupners had to be balanced before use then I'd say go ahead and do it since you would have to go through the procedure anyway, but if you have to buy props might as well get a set that fits and are bolt on. Personally I see no advantage to the cut and rebalance when the proper size is available unless you really enjoy doing that sort of thing, it's not on my top ten list of ways to relax...;)

Ken