Which do you prefer? Flying through Goggles or Monitors?

abonto

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is normal, I'm a begginner in FPV, and I find flying on the monitor more appealing than the goggles. I find the goggles to be less definition than the monitor, I also feel safe flying through the monitor than the goggles. Is this normal? Will I grow to like flying via goggles overtime? Please let me know your experience on this. I have a BASE Fat Shark goggles.

Thank you!

nicwilke

I've been trying to fly FPV as practice, and I'm not into it. I fly LOS for years, no problem. I find its disorienting, and prefer monitor for framing the camera.

abonto

I've been trying to fly FPV as practice, and I'm not into it. I fly LOS for years, no problem. I find its disorienting, and prefer monitor for framing the camera.
I'm just like you, I fly this things to get awesome video footages. But since I'm on it, why not do the goggles also like what everybody does. And yup, you're right, it's very disorienting, and sometimes I get a headache with it,,,I'm just wondering why people like it so much? For now I'm not sold on the goggles, but the monitor is awesome. :)

abonto

i like monitors too.... once your comftorable with the whole thing, try goggles again.
Thanks Kloner,,,I'm actually comfortable with the monitor, I just thought the goggles would be a WOW & better experience, but it's not.

kloner

Aerial DP
they are when you fly proximity, you get overwhelmed at first, but once your used to themonitor, the goggle get the pecker sucked back in again... there also extremely mobile when you got a built in rx

Unfaix

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is normal, I'm a begginner in FPV, and I find flying on the monitor more appealing than the goggles. I find the goggles to be less definition than the monitor, I also feel safe flying through the monitor than the goggles. Is this normal? Will I grow to like flying via goggles overtime? Please let me know your experience on this. I have a BASE Fat Shark goggles.

Thank you!

Googles, my monitor stretch square pictures from the camera. It looks stupid

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Tomstoy2

I use both.
What I've found is the monitor does give a little better deffinition, but if I take my eyes off of it and look back at it, it takes awhile for my eyes to adjust again.
Goggles means you can't easily aquite los, but once you've orented to them they do feel better.
I'm sure I would feel a lot different if I had a larger monitor, though. Something easier to focus on.

kloner

Aerial DP
unfaix, that could be a setting......... if you have an sd feed going to an wide screen monitor, it needs to be "fit to screen"

Unfaix

unfaix, that could be a setting......... if you have an sd feed going to an wide screen monitor, it needs to be "fit to screen"

Nah mine doesn't have it.

Only for HD TV that it has stretch and normal.

For av input. It has stretch and stretch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

VINHEX

I love flying through googles due to doing a lot of gaming I find flying more easier than Los but of course fly Los as well.. I just enjoy the feeling of being up there with it. If you have a buddy systems UK law then you have someone keeping an eye on it all the time. With a monitor I feel that you taking your eye of the control to see what it's like.. This is only my preference and people prefer their own setups. The positive side is that people can see

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, DJI iOSD

That is a good question and It seems different from one person to another. I have personally started following the good advice from kloner and got a 7 in. monitor. It works great and I am very happy with it. Framing videos is now a charm. My monitor is installed on a fully extended tripod and basically sits beside the multirotor when I look up. This way, I can quickly switch view from LOS to monitor which allows me to precisely control my views.

Having said that, I had to try the goggles.... And In did. Got a pair of Fatshark SD Base and plugged it in the DJI 5.8 mHz receiver. Pretty wild.... It is an entirely new dimension, difficult to explain without trying it out for yourself. There is a poweful initial WOW effect and it is, as frequently reported, quite disorientating (if this word exists...). I believe that the monitor is the safe bet and the goggles' appreciation will vary from one person to another. Even with a few thousand hours of full size flying as a former professional pilot (Air Force), I felt a bit funny after the first few minutes but things got better until I took them off for landing! Just like walking out of a theater and looking at the sky. I could hear my multi rotor but was totally blinded by the light. Not a good feeling! Also, I must mention that the occasional fogging of the goggles is unpleasant but goes away rapidly, as you pull the goggles away from your face for a few seconds. To some extend, I think it is related to the pilot heartbeat...

In summary, a monitor is really great and is relatively easy to get used to. On the other hand, goggles have a lot of potential but do not look for instant gratification, they need to be tamed first.

Happy flying!

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
i forget the exact number, but the goggles as close as they are makes them seem something like 150" monitor..... You physicaly gotta look around like when you sit too close to a tv set. there kinda stressful on the eyes and for me, when that dam multi rotor was within a hundred feet, even though could see myself in the view, was scared to death to get it anywhere near me. weird feeling, like flying blind folded.

the real trouble is you gotta comit to goggles to do it right. Take off and land under hood. it's just a risk i'm not into...... love hearing the multi while looking at a monitor and just look up to transition to LOS to land..... much better for me. Goggles coming out from under is like walking out of a movie theater in the middle of the day. Takes a minute till all the spots and colors go away so you can see your rig

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Hello,

Thank you!

The ONLY bad thing about the goggles is YOU CANT MOVE. If you turn your head your brain expects to see the scenery around you to turn too and when it doesn't it throws off your equilibrium. I used to fly chin-to-chest with goggles on to remind me not to move. I LOVE goggles and I find it gives me the experience that I'm the one flying and I get an adrenaline rush every time I drop from the sky. There are other people who hate goggles but for me I wouldn't fly without them because I feel they'd detract from the experience but then again I'm not a camera guy, I'm a drone pilot who records my flights and posts them :)

Jackella

googles for me,take off and land with em on.
When flying i feel i'm in the craft not sat on ground,tried 22" monitor but felt like i'm just watching tv..
Base gogs gives the best immersion feel as they the biggest screen at the mo'.

Stacky

have got the hang of taking off LOS, then popping the goggles down from my forehead into position and flying and then when landing taking ght egoggles off when I am near to the landing point and landing LOS. Takes a little practice but its not too hard once done a few times.

The ONLY bad thing about the goggles is YOU CANT MOVE. If you turn your head your brain expects to see the scenery around you to turn too and when it doesn't it throws off your equilibrium. I used to fly chin-to-chest with goggles on to remind me not to move. I LOVE goggles and I find it gives me the experience that I'm the one flying and I get an adrenaline rush every time I drop from the sky. There are other people who hate goggles but for me I wouldn't fly without them because I feel they'd detract from the experience but then again I'm not a camera guy, I'm a drone pilot who records my flights and posts them :)

This makes a lot of sense and explain why most people are sitting down doing FPV. I have been standing up and moving around a bit being. I also felt funny/dizzy a couple times. My next hobby purchase will be a lawn chair! (Ha! Ha!) Can't wait to try sitting down. I will let you know how it went.

Rehost

Preference is based on application!

Monitors are great for others to see and to glimpse back and forth to the platform, but when it comes to immersion, it's goggles all the way!

I kid you not, with the goggles on the higher I go the more freaked out I get LOL
And there is nothing like proximity flying.

I love my goggles :)

abonto

Thank you for all the input guys. I had more time with my goggles over the weekend. I noticed that when I was flying my chopper on a bit crowded place (I mean more buildings & tree), I really prefer the monitor, since I can look back and forth and it gave me that safe and secure feeling. So what I did is go to an open area, and just fly with my goggles on throught the 15minutes flight time x 2 lipos, and boy oh boy, it was a different feeling. It really feels like I'm in the cockpit (I will add OSD on it soon so it can give me more information such as speed, altitude & direction), and I feel more focused in flying it and actually enjoyed the scenery more.:) So there you go, my goggles is not going anywhere yet (not until I can get an HD version, SD quality still sucks!). Also, my 200mw 5.8 transmitter has a short range, and I want to fly farther. So that brings me to my new question, what do you guys recommend for a transmitter replacement? 600, 800mw or maybe 1200mw? I'm just scared that going higher might interfere with my electronics.