What's the difference between atti mode and Manual?

khellio

I've been constanlly flying in GPS mode as a beginner for a month or so and now ready to be a bit more daring.
I have an DJI F450 with Naza M Lite fitted and it's getting a little boring flying around in the limited GPS mode so I swtched it to Atti mode but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.
Switching to manual mode, the difference is blatantly and scarily obvious but I still don't understand the definitions between the 3 modes.
For example: what can I do in manual mode that I can't do in atti mode and how?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Attitude mode limits the amount of banking that the craft will do, manual does not, if you give full aileron in manual mode it will roll, full aileron in atti mode will not.

Pete

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
manual mode on the naza still auto-levels? I would have thought it was more conventional manual where there is no auto level or limit to angle. More or less like flying a SRH.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
In simple terms, in GPS mode your 'joystick' is a speed demand stick ie the further you push it the faster the craft will go. In attitude mode the joystick becomes an 'angle demand' stick ie the further you push it, the greater the angle (there is usually a limit to the angle of 35degreess or there abouts in atti). In manual, the joystick becomes a 'rate of angle change' stick ie the further you push it the faster the craft changes angle without a limit to its bank angle. In short, in GPS and ATTI mode you need to push your stick forward to the point where the craft is doing what you want it to and then you keep the stick there. In manual you push the stick until the aircraft is where you want it and then you release the stick to center to keep the aircraft where you want it. This is how the DJI system works at least and I am fairly sure it is the same with most other FCs that employ these three modes

nuclear

In simple terms, in GPS mode your 'joystick' is a speed demand stick ie the further you push it the faster the craft will go. In attitude mode the joystick becomes an 'angle demand' stick ie the further you push it, the greater the angle (there is usually a limit to the angle of 35degreess or there abouts in atti). In manual, the joystick becomes a 'rate of angle change' stick ie the further you push it the faster the craft changes angle without a limit to its bank angle. In short, in GPS and ATTI mode you need to push your stick forward to the point where the craft is doing what you want it to and then you keep the stick there. In manual you push the stick until the aircraft is where you want it and then you release the stick to center to keep the aircraft where you want it. This is how the DJI system works at least and I am fairly sure it is the same with most other FCs that employ these three modes
in use, GPS and attitude reacts about the same way
manual also overrides some settings from the Naza (it ignores vertical gain, partly ignores the limitations of distance from what I've read and it's the only mode that you can use to control the naza after a failsafe is triggered)

khellio

Thanks to everyone who posted here. The info provided makes it so much clearer and I certainly wasn't aware that the manual mode still works after fail safe has been initiated.

nuclear

Thanks to everyone who posted here. The info provided makes it so much clearer and I certainly wasn't aware that the manual mode still works after fail safe has been initiated.

it works only if you disable the failsafe (transmitter back online, or you flip the switch back to normal)
but it's also the only mode that will work if you disable failsafe (gps and atti doesn't get you back control)

nuclear

From what i've been reading in the A2 manual
In the DJI assistant, you can set you're third position for either manual or attitude (but it's not really explained what's the difference)
in the A2 manual, they list the attitude mode on 3rd position as attitude that will regain control once failsafe is activated (like manual)
so that might be a solution for those that don't want to fly in manual mode
i would check that it works as expected before by activating failsafe via a switch, then trying to regain control by deactivating the switch

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
it works only if you disable the failsafe (transmitter back online, or you flip the switch back to normal)
but it's also the only mode that will work if you disable failsafe (gps and atti doesn't get you back control)
In my experience after turning off the failsafe on the Naza lite and V2, control will be regained in either atti. or manual mode. I cannot speak to GPS mode as I have not experienced it.

RobBurn

When i set up my f550 is the assistant i noticed the defaults are gps, atti and atti modes. The last atti is a combo selection box so it appears dji wants less of the manual lol as its not out of the box stock. After flying it over the month in gps and atti, best description is in gps you let go of the stick and it holds it x and y or lat and long position. Whereas in atti you let off and it continues in the direction you were traveling but slows, the gps is like a x and y brake. I have flipped to manual and you can tell quicky if you CG is correct as you lose the gps x and y brake so mine was slowing moving in the direction as i had my batt off a bit.

ive read of the naza going bonkers or not responding and id like to think switching to manual mode would help recover but im hoping i never have that test