Whats next after f550 to fly a nex?

tikigod19

Hi all, in short I've spent 6 months trying to upgrade my f550 with tiger 2216 motors from the lean mean gopro machine that I was happy with, to a 3 axis nex5n flyer. Changed props, changed lipos, gone through 2x gimbals both of which have broken and I've now given up. I need to know what to do now and thought I'd ask you chaps for your advice.. I'm trying to avoid the easy option of buying my tarot t-2d gimbal again and going back to gopro footage on my f550.

Option 1)
S1000 with A2 a Z15 for my existing 5D mkiii. £4700

option 2)
Tarot T810 with Wookong and Z15 for existing NEX5N £???

I have seen a couple of nex z15's for sale used so hoping to pick one of those up for around £1k, so I'm calculating my option 2 price to be VERY ROUGHLY around £2k.

That's one hell of a price difference. I'd like to be able to take raw photos but I'm not desperate to actually fly a 5d mkiii. For the 1 or 2 occasional shots I'd include in wedding videos I think the nex5n would do the job for me, I just don't know if the tarot t810 would combine with the z15 well enough.

Things I already have that I'd like to re-use:

Spektrum DX8 with telemetry module
ImmersionRC 600mw tx and screen with build in diversity receiver (fpv cables for nex5n)

There may well be some other options available (maybe s800?) but portability (foldability if thats a word..) is critical for me and I'd ideally like the final set up to be a single pilot config.

Let me know what you'd do!

coreyperez

Im in about the same boat. I just decided about an hour ago the 550 has reached the size limitation. I'm looking at the tarot 960. It looks like a happy middle ground. I've even started thinking it may make a really good X4 (if the booms can handle it).

Corey

farmerfred

I've reached the same point with my F550 and I've chosen a Tarot t810. I've not received it yet but it looks to be a tricky build! Looks a nice big/steady frame and love the ability to fold up.

farmerfred

did yours come with a power distribution board? Im not sure if i need to order one? The doesn't seem to be much room to install all the gaza parts inside like you can on the f550 because of all the moving arms...

coreyperez

I just watched a video of a mod for a discovery (not pro version) flying a gimbal nex! As a side note, I'm probably going to go a little smaller than the 960 so I can strip the electronics off the 550. (Without needing new motors and esc). Oh, I also purchased a discovery pro a couple days ago! now I'm eyeballing another DJI kit (f450) to outfit the disco with another naza and DJI electronics.. (only because the price is right when buying it all in one set).

Corey

Claust

Consider the Tarot 680pro. I am building one based on the DJI E600 propulsion system to carry a 3 axis and nex (alpha6000).
Hoping to have all parts here by next week.

coreyperez

After talking to Motopreserve he helped me determine that the stock 920kva motors (DJI) won't cut it on the 680 and larger Tarot frames. So... Back to square 1 for me.

I do have my TBS Disco Pro on order and looking forward to getting that bugger up and flying!

Corey

You can upgrade your F550 to an RCTimer - RCT800. That makes it possible to increase prop diameters so that your new motor/prop combos can remain in the sweet spot for max airtime for heavier payloads. See photo example here. I was able to use it to do an entire 18 hole golf course last fall using a GoPro with max flight time of 23 minutes (less with a Nex obviously) View attachment 17493

Hi all, in short I've spent 6 months trying to upgrade my f550 with tiger 2216 motors from the lean mean gopro machine that I was happy with, to a 3 axis nex5n flyer. Changed props, changed lipos, gone through 2x gimbals both of which have broken and I've now given up. I need to know what to do now and thought I'd ask you chaps for your advice.. I'm trying to avoid the easy option of buying my tarot t-2d gimbal again and going back to gopro footage on my f550.

Option 1)
S1000 with A2 a Z15 for my existing 5D mkiii. £4700

option 2)
Tarot T810 with Wookong and Z15 for existing NEX5N £???

I have seen a couple of nex z15's for sale used so hoping to pick one of those up for around £1k, so I'm calculating my option 2 price to be VERY ROUGHLY around £2k.

That's one hell of a price difference. I'd like to be able to take raw photos but I'm not desperate to actually fly a 5d mkiii. For the 1 or 2 occasional shots I'd include in wedding videos I think the nex5n would do the job for me, I just don't know if the tarot t810 would combine with the z15 well enough.

Things I already have that I'd like to re-use:

Spektrum DX8 with telemetry module
ImmersionRC 600mw tx and screen with build in diversity receiver (fpv cables for nex5n)

There may well be some other options available (maybe s800?) but portability (foldability if thats a word..) is critical for me and I'd ideally like the final set up to be a single pilot config.

Let me know what you'd do!

Attachments

• RCT800.jpg
    RCT800.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 343

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Motor arms are very stiff indeed. No related vibration issues. But keep the IMU mounted below the Hub on an anti-vibe plate as the prop wash tends to mess up the baro sensor otherwise in forward flight.
Also keep in mind the the motor arm height at the hub is slightly less than the F550 arms such that some DJI components such as the WKM IMU will not fit between the two plates anymore etc.
I used Turnigy Multistar 400KV pan motors and 45 amp ESCs..... Had over 135 successful flights before selling it.

Are the RCTimer arms pretty stiff? Does the flex give you any problems with vibrations?