What's most important?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I had a discussion with DJ of PhotoShip One today and I asked him about some of the challenges involved in making the multi-rotor platform the best aerial video platform possible. He really does understand the problems and has tried a lot of different things to make improvements but there are still barriers.
My question for the forums is this; What is most important for an aerial mount?
Is most AP work done while stationary or near stationary?
Is the ability to shoot video while flying at higher speeds really a necessary design goal?
What comes first for you, the stability of the camera or the maneuverability of the multi-rotor?
I suggested a camera mount design in another thread but DJ pointed out it's impractical at higher speeds due to the centrifugal forces and accelerations involved. I'm doing still photography so this stuff is above my paygrade but I thought I'd try to start the conversation rolling.
Thanks,
Bart

To me stability is way more important. Give me a rock solid boom shot anywhere I want to as High as I want. Movement is important but not "Speed". I don't have a need to zoom around a subject. I need a fluent steady as could be shot.

DennyR

Bart
When shooting stills the task is much easier. You just have to hold the camera still for a fraction of a second. The camera probably has an image stabiliser that holds it steady during that exposure. That is why there are thousands of aerial photographers out there. Some are jobbers who shoot real estate etc. Not too much skill needed there, and there are those who shoot artistic stuff for publications etc. But when it comes to shooting video, less that 1% can cut the mustard. The moving image requires a lot of skill and technology. Having the technology to hold the camera steady is a big step but there is a long way to go after that before you can shoot cinematic quality footage. The first step would be to become a cameraman on the ground and learn about the type of shots that a director will ask for. To be a good cameraman you should also be a good editor.

If there is enough interest I can add a little to this each week so that one can build on the requirements that are needed to get yourself shooting like a pro. There are a few no no's that catch most people out. Like, don't show your shadow in the shot. Don't hose pipe it. Don't blur your pixels with a pan that is too fast. Most directors cuts are between 5 and 10 second only so your sequence should be shot with an interesting intro revealing the scene with a cut. The only time to scroll sideways is when tracking an object that is moving along side you. Always use forward motion in the first instance instead. Don't transit to the shot with the lens facing forwards ( unless you want insects all over it.) There is a lot to it. I will put a short video together soon that shows what can be done with home made balanced beam systems and rpv's. Some of this footage left Sunset and Vine in shock as they tried in vain to copy it. My thing of late has been shooting CGI where the camera has to follow an exact GPS track and lens angle so that animators can build the rest of the scene. The multi rotor system is going to be the new way to achieve this accurately.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
denny,
speaking as a "jobber-to-be" i would love to hear what you have to say about assembling cinema worthy video shots. in fact, please start a new thread with a descriptive title like "Aerial Video 101" or something to that effect so we can follow along. the point of this thread was to ask if aerial maneuvering was an important enough factor the majority of the time for it to be a major factor in copter design. i guess there are instances where it is necessary but not enough of the time for it to sink a potential design that doesn't allow for aggressive maneuvering.
thanks for your input. i'll be looking forward to lessons with DennyR! :)
bart