What Would Make a Better FPV Experience?

Av8Chuck

How popular is FPV racing, in the US and around the World?

Is there room for improvement with the flight controller to make FPV more competitive?

Same question regarding motors and ESC's?

Is there anyone using HD for FPV? If so what kind of Tx/Rx?

Would HD FPV improve the overall racing experience?

What sizes are people racing?

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm trying to get a sense if FPV Racing is growing and what kind of shelf life it might have. Is it a passing fad or something that should be taken seriously?

matwelli

its seems to be growing and growing, in 2 weeks time i am holding a qualifying event for New Zealand pilots to Race in Hawaii in Oct.......
Over here we are seeing a steady growth, internationally there are big events being held/planned

Have a look at the number of pilots here http://www.multigp.com/site/index

one running right now http://fpvracingevents.com/xdc_2-extreme-drone-circuit-fpv-race-at-zappos-hq-las-vegas/

http://xdcracing.com/

most popular size is still 250 , with a strong following of the smaller 150/180 sized

FerdinandK

if you fly and enjoy the view from above, the sunset, the close look on the treetops, HD is great, to me best viewed with a cinemizer. But if you race, fly fast with aerobatics HD would be great, but the current lag (even if it is 0,1s) is not acceptable. also during a race there is no time to enjoy the landscape. Also HD-transmitters are more heavy, impossible to mount them on 250 class. Also you should use (VTX) what is acceptable during a race (more persons are in the air, and fly simultaneously).

If you start racing, there are a lot of "complete" packages to begin, if you continue you learn what you need, and what supports you during flight, but there is a long time practicing before the motors/esc/frame/propeller becomes a limiting factor.

best regards
Ferdinand

There's always room for improvement but if you look at the open pilot GUI for the CC3D FC its amazing what you can tweak. You can really dial up the settings.

Av8Chuck

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We've just released our latest flight controller and I'm trying to figure out the best way to market it. We didn't intend to get into FPV, we designed the controller so we could test some components but people seem to like it and the more I started looking into FPV racing the more intrigued I became.

We're in the business of designing and manufacturing commercial or industrial grade components, but FPV Racing might be worth more attention than we intended. Would it be fair to say that FPV racing is growing faster than any other segment of RC?

SamaraMedia

The Las Vegas and Miami events were pretty cool, not sure of attendance numbers but the marketing is pretty sweet. Then there was this infrared FPV racing posted by juz70, one of the best FPVer's out there IMO.

John Williams

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We've just released our latest flight controller and I'm trying to figure out the best way to market it. We didn't intend to get into FPV, we designed the controller so we could test some components but people seem to like it and the more I started looking into FPV racing the more intrigued I became.

We're in the business of designing and manufacturing commercial or industrial grade components, but FPV Racing might be worth more attention than we intended. Would it be fair to say that FPV racing is growing faster than any other segment of RC?
FPV Racing is growing and these automated & affordable FPV systems are now a trend and are easily available.The technology has made it so easy to fly from a pilot’s perspective. The Fpv systems today requires minimal knowledge and guidance to fly.