Mikrokopter What type of battery??

MikroJ

Hello, Im confused as to what battery type I should get ??

I am running the MK3538 motors in Y6 config, 12 " props, Bl's have two capacitors....

1. I have read somewhere the 4s lipo is better for XL MK's or can I run a 3s lipo?

2. 20c or can I run 25c? what is max and safe.

3. If I run two lipos, parallel do I get more flight time ie 2 x 3600mAh =7200mAH

4. Can it run LifePo batteries?

Jim

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hello, Im confused as to what battery type I should get ??

I am running the MK3538 motors in Y6 config, 12 " props, Bl's have two capacitors....

1. I have read somewhere the 4s lipo is better for XL MK's or can I run a 3s lipo?

2. 20c or can I run 25c? what is max and safe.

3. If I run two lipos, parallel do I get more flight time ie 2 x 3600mAh =7200mAH

4. Can it run LifePo batteries?

Jim

In a heavy lift setup you will need more than 3S to do anything beyond hover a couple feet off the ground if you can even get it off the ground. I have the Pulso 2814-22 motors on my AD-6 HL which are the equivalent of the MK3538 with APC 12 x 3.8 props and a 3S pack is barely enough to get it to start to lift off, just not enough power to feed 6 of those large motors.

I'm now using a pair of 20C 4S 5000 wired in parallel for a total of 10,000 mAh and getting approximately 15 minutes flight time with an RTF weight of about 8 1/4 pounds or 3.75 kilos. On one 4S 5000 pack I can get a little over 8 minutes of flight time so to me its worth the weight penalty to carry the second pack and nearly double the flight time, the AD-6 barely notices the additional load. How much extra flight time you gain depends on a lot of things like how much extra weight you add by doing it and how close to maximum carrying capacity the multi is to begin with.

I see no reason to use packs of more than 25C unless you frequently descend quickly and hit the throttle hard to slow it down while carrying a lot of weight, or perhaps the reverse of that, punching the throttle for fast climbs. For everything else you're likely to do the current draw isn't that great to require high discharge packs so save some $ and buy 20 or 25 C.

As for the Life packs, don't know I've never used them, although I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Jim,
Stick with straight LiPo packs. Unless you're really familiar with batteries and how their discharge qualities differ from each other, the Life batteries make it difficult to know when they're about to die. You've either got to monitor their total milliamp used throughout the flight or strictly time them and come down when time is up. Time will vary based on loads, winds, outside air temperature, etc.
The LiPo's enable you to use a low voltage warning which isn't an option with Life cells since they maintain very close to rated voltage almost up until the point where they die.
Bart