what mode for maiden flight

quadrix

Hi guys, I have built a DJI F450 with Naza lite and gps. It's all set up and ready to go but due to the continuing bad weather here in the UK I have not yet been able to fly it. My question is, for initial testing and first flights, which mode should I use; manual, atti or gps?

FlyGirl

If this is your first multirotor I wouldn't suggest manual. that takes some learning (but very definitely SHOULD be learned). I always seem to start my flights in GPS mode and then once stabilized (meaning get my FPV goggles unfogged and on LOL) switch to ATTI mode but I think either one would be fine. In fact, now that I think about it, I usually start in ATTI mode with my sport quad since I am just flying in line of sight. Hardly ever use GPS on that one, only when I get interrupted or lose orientation and need it to sit still for a moment.

Sheepdog493

I differ from fly girl...

If you are an EXPERIENCED Helicopter pilot for SRH or multi,than manual mode is the best for immediate judgement. I will be flying my first Hexacopter in manual mode first. Since if GPS/compass is not set up properly than I may have a fly away or issues with it on the maiden flight.

Now if you are good at flying Rc Heli's than use manual as you are in control. If you are not secure within your own skill level than use Attitude mode, that way if you are anything else failes you can simply cut throttle (Dont fly above 10 feet for maiden, personal rule its up to you)

I usually fly my Multirotors in Attitude mode since im focusing on camera, but on maiden low height flight or indoors its manual. But please please please do not listen to me unless you are very confident in your ability to control the craft in this mode. I have crashed and im sure everyone else has too, f450 can cause a lot of damage to your wallet and others around you. Over everything else, best of luck! and have fun! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Start with Attitude flight..... never take off in GPS mode....... Manual mode is a fast way to wreck your MR initially........
Attitude is tame mode...... Manual can be a tiger by the tail unless you have a lot of prior flying experience.

Hi guys, I have built a DJI F450 with Naza lite and gps. It's all set up and ready to go but due to the continuing bad weather here in the UK I have not yet been able to fly it. My question is, for initial testing and first flights, which mode should I use; manual, atti or gps?