what is your preferred mixer type for flat octo?

Glennyboy

I notice the new DJI is configured as octo V and cinestar 8 users have octo l

is one type better than the other?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The original Cinestar 8 three leg landing gear/camera gimbal system was designed to work with the MR in the "I" configuration for some reason and would not mount to the MR correctly in the "V" configuration. But now with the newer 3 axis BGC systems you can configure the MR to allow straight forward camera positioning in both "I" and "V" configuration.

Technically the "V" configuration is easier to fly for smoother aerial video work. This is based on a concept I learned and was able to verify when learning to fly the Blade MQX quad. It all comes back to a basic Archimedes lever principle, i.e., RC joystick control is a bit easier when flying the Blade MQX in the "I" or "+" configuration versus "V" or "X" configuration. its all about the real versus apparent motor arm length. The apparent motor arm length applies to the V or X config which is shorter. And a shorter motor arm length enables much faster response to joystick control etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glennyboy

The original Cinestar 8 three leg landing gear/camera gimbal system was designed to work with the MR in the "I" configuration for some reason and would not mount to the MR correctly in the "V" configuration. But now with the newer 3 axis BGC systems you can configure the MR to allow straight forward camera positioning in both "I" and "V" configuration.

Technically the "V" configuration is easier to fly for smoother aerial video work. This is based on a concept I learned and was able to verify when learning to fly the Blade MQX quad. It all comes back to a basic Archimedes lever principle, i.e., RC joystick control is a bit easier when flying the Blade MQX in the "I" or "+" configuration versus "V" or "X" configuration. its all about the real versus apparent motor arm length. The apparent motor arm length applies to the V or X config which is shorter. And a shorter motor arm length enables much faster response to joystick control etc.

so you would say 'V' is better for aerial videography on flat octo?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
IMHO - The "V" is slightly better for aerial video over the "I"... but more so for the Hex and much more so for the Quad.... all other things being equal.
Longer motor arms will provide smoother flight control provided the motors/props are sized correctly and the MR gains are set correctly.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Whilst the theory sounds good I doubt very much that there is any noticeable flying difference. I fly both a cinestar (I) and Skyjib (v) and cannot notice any difference at all. The v arms I find better for orientation as I can have 2 booms covered in day glow tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fly both I and V they fly the same, I Wookong and the V Naza
V system you may get 2 prop in shot when flying fast
I system you only get one prop in shot when flying fast
I fly with a raised arm on my I system and have no props in shot.

The Blade MQX quad has 2 modes I think when you change it to X its a stunt quad ? correct me if I'm wrong its just what I've heard.
Good luck