Web Comments...

Y0urDaddy

I ran across this article today while looking at some other stuff:

http://woub.org/2016/01/17/lawsuit-seeks-to-resolve-drone-privacy-debate/

The article is not really the part I found interesting, it is the comments below the article. These kind of discussions always bug me a bit. I think that the media has succeeded in painting the picture that anyone who owns a multi-rotor must be a weird-0 who only wants to spy on others. I have no issue with firearms but I think the last think we want is a bunch of people shooting guns up in the air.

This is one of the reasons I have not had my 450 out in a while. For whatever reason the media has chosen to create fear around multi-rotors vs. showing them for what they are. Any technology can be abused, this is not unique to multi-rotors.

Hoki

I think im the only one with drones in my whole apt complex and when i go sit outsides people just say wow or thats so cool or ive never seeen anything like that.

Readers comments are always my favorite part. They tend to show a lack of any meaningful, rational thought by the general public. I'm actually somewhat glad that most people feel the way they do because it shows that there is still a desire for personal liberty and freedom. It may just be a small spark but its still alive and that's a good thing. We have been so worn down with the IRS, NSA, DHS monitoring our texts, emails and phone calls that the average American feels like there's nothing they can do. So its kind of understandable that they would consider reacting the way they do if someone were flying a drone over their backyard. Usually when you see these kind of articles both parties are at fault. Some jerk with a drone that should be minding his own business is somewhere he shouldn't be or doing something he shouldn't be doing and then some meat head shoots it because he thinks its his right to do it. The media loves to play both sides of the coin and portray both parties as victims. The readers comments are usually split 50/50 as well. The easy answer is to stay away from private property. I was attempting to film a couple of coyotes over a farmers land one day and he kicked me off. It was a good lesson for me. I made sure I apologized and let him know I would never do it again. I was clearly in the wrong. The real problem is you don't see a lot of positive articles involving drones. That's why its important to remember we are all ambassadors of the sport and need to carry ourselves accordingly. I have made most of my mistakes already so now I try to use my powers for good. LOL.

Old Man

Speaking of negativity in the news, the link is one of the worst I have read in some time. Not because of who it presents as using drones in a bad way, but because it fails to note that governments are using them in exactly the manner they are condemning the bad guys for using them. If we change the name from ISIS to anyone else the manner they are being used is still wrong, but the author completely misses that in his references. In so doing the author obliquely condones surveillance of the population and weaponizing of drones by governments.

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/when-good-drones-go-bad/?&tc=eml