Wanting to build a heavy lifting Hexa-copter, need help

Vireaux

Hello All,

My friend and I are currently looking into building a hexa-copter and need some recommendations because we are totally new to building drones. The frame we are currently looking to buy is a Tarot FY680 Full Folding Hexacopter 680mm. We want the hexacopter to be as large as possible in size, be able to have great range, good battery life, and be able to lift a pound or so (possibly lifting a camera or box of food etc..) Our budget is about $1200 USD so its a lot to work with, but we want to stretch ever dollar we can. We need recommendations on what type of motors to buy, type of battery to buy, which core, etc... If you have questions or want to help just replay here. Thanks!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If you dont mind me saying it sounds like you are trying to run before you walk. I would highly recommend building a small hex such as a F550 which can be done pretty cheaply using standard DJI kit. The only non cheap bit would be the flight controller for the F550 but then you could use the flight contrller on the Tarrot afterwards (off course you could get a cheap controller but why bother if it can then be used on the Tarrot).

Taking this approach will save you a ton of cash because you will learn so much during a build like this and it will give you the confidence you need for the bigger build.

Secondly can I suggest that you nail what you are trying to lift as from this all else comes. You cant successfully spec an aircraft, especially if cash is tight unless you know your payload otherwise you are likely to under/over spec components or buy components that simply don't fit or are not suitable for your particular payload.

Look for @Bartman group builds on here- there is a ton of information there and if you follow those threads you will be well on your way to having a successful build. Good luck.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
@Vireaux

it's a lot to chew on if you've never done this before. the best bet for the money is going to be to buy something used with older motors and flight control hardware.

have you ever flown anything RC before? ever built anything RC before? give us some background information and start reading through the threads, it's nearly impossible for us to just tell you what to buy from the smallest bit of hardware up to the radio and flight control system without more information.

Pumpkinguy

$1200 is not much of a budget. The stuff adds up quickly. Does this $1200 include batteries, transmitter, flight control etc? If so, you are gonna have to use bottom of the barrel components or get really lucky and find used stuff cheap.