Want some inspiration?

ChrisViperM

The guy got a good eye for motives...and it shows that it doesn't always have to be videos. But he is doing most of his stuff from a real Helicopter.

jes1111

Agreed -all from a real helicopter, I think. But "the look" is distinctive. Definitely using longer focal lengths than is "normal" for MRs - to give a much more natural perspective. I believe (and I know Denny has said it several times here) this is the key - getting gimbal performance good enough to be able to "hit the zoom switch". No GoPro 170º nonsense here! ;)

DennyR

Agreed -all from a real helicopter, I think. But "the look" is distinctive. Definitely using longer focal lengths than is "normal" for MRs - to give a much more natural perspective. I believe (and I know Denny has said it several times here) this is the key - getting gimbal performance good enough to be able to "hit the zoom switch". No GoPro 170º nonsense here! ;)

When you make your living doing this stuff the portrait /landscape thing comes into play. Most of the requirements from publishers are for portrait images. With enough rez. you can have both from one good portrait shot. When I shot the Palace Pier at Night in the early 90's I had Jason wanting to buy it for his own Library because it had never been done before and he had given up trying. With todays modern Cameras it is relatively easy to do. The timing was a critical element in getting the right balance between The full shadow areas and the lights. I had a Russian photographer over for a few days last week and he showed me some really great stuff shot over Moscow at night and I do mean at night, not at dusk and then darkened. Full tonal range at 1 am in the morning. Canon 5D -Mk11

Jason is an average helicopter guy, what sorts the men from the boys is shooting from a plane and also flying it at the same time. check out the work of Jim Wark. and a few others at PAPA international.

Sadly we lost Adrian Warren last year to Cancer. Adrian was also a master of the still image who could fly his own Cessna. And he was also a great cinemaphotographer . Check out Last refuge.

Last edited by a moderator: