Vulcan MultiFrame - quick review

Note: This is a quick review of the Vulcan MultiFrame - nothing official. But a lot of folks have asked me about it, so I’m sharing my thoughts here.

View attachment 14137

I have been using the Vulcan MultiFrame in an octo configuration over the past few months. I have found it to be a tough, dependable, and affordable frame. It has gone through baggage handling on domestic and international airline flights - which can be brutal conditions. It packs down fairly easily with the removal of one screw on six out of the eight arms - these arms fold forward or backward. You can build it in a variety of configurations, hence the name, “MultiFrame.”

I’m about to give the Mantis arms a try - arms that are angled up to remove the props from the camera’s view when tilted upwards or during fast forward flight. This seems to be fairly unique to this frame and will be a nice capability (I’m aware that there are alternative methods). I'll review these later.

View attachment 14139

This frame seems to take a beating and soak up any vibes when props aren’t “perfectly” balanced. The frame is tough. The arms are aluminum and the rest is carbon fiber. The hardware works well - mostly metric hex screws with locknuts. I prefer locknuts over Loctite. With the arms being rectangular in shape, the motors are definitely level.

View attachment 14138

The only issue I ran into was that the battery mounts I purchased didn’t work for my configuration and battery size (fairly large MaxAmps batteries). This was quickly remedied by adding a plate and top mounting the batteries - easy fix. Because this frame is so customizable, it makes it easy to build the rig that works for you. And this rig has worked well for us at Yonder Blue Films. I can definitely recommend it!

All the best,
Ben

Attachments

• 1151039_217499075040625_1016097864_n.jpg
    1151039_217499075040625_1016097864_n.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 451
  • 1185861_217499025040630_1054375922_n.jpg
    1185861_217499025040630_1054375922_n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Mantis-Octo-1080-1.jpg
    Mantis-Octo-1080-1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 304

The beard is in full effect, and yes we certainly get put through the ringer at the airport. Our bags always get screened. But I don't mind since I expect it.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
in the theme of beards....
Let it Grow!
I want to enter professional bearding competitions.
I will never shave a gain!
:D

Nice review. Do you use this as a heavy lifter? Red epic ? Do you foresee any limitations to lifting weight vs the traditional cinestar style rigs?

We've flown the Red Epic with it and the Scarlet. It makes for a great heavy lifter. It's a very strong and tough frame. They have a great picture of bricks piled on the frame on the website.

shdwkeeper

With the Epic or Scarlet what are your flight times? Are you using one battery or two? Can you put up some pics or your rig/setup as it wold be configured and ready to go. How much weight can you lift with this octo?

With the Epic or Scarlet what are your flight times? Are you using one battery or two? Can you put up some pics or your rig/setup as it wold be configured and ready to go. How much weight can you lift with this octo?

Does your entire Octo fit in here including WKM/flight controller, props, batteries, etc...?

We can conservatively fly an Epic for about 9 minutes I believe, but we are looking at some ways to extend this flight time a bit. We are very careful not to run batteries too low. We always use 2 flight batteries.

We put the copter portion of the rig in that case and there is space for remotes, a small laptop, and props. Batteries are always in carry-on luggage. We use the Hoverfly Pro flight controller and it remains hooked up on the copter - no need to remove it for travel.

jurna

We can conservatively fly an Epic for about 9 minutes I believe, but we are looking at some ways to extend this flight time a bit. We are very careful not to run batteries too low. We always use 2 flight batteries.

We put the copter portion of the rig in that case and there is space for remotes, a small laptop, and props. Batteries are always in carry-on luggage. We use the Hoverfly Pro flight controller and it remains hooked up on the copter - no need to remove it for travel.

May I ask, what lipo packs and motors do you use?

Last edited by a moderator: