Video feed

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I need to set up a video feed from my camera to the base station. I already have the transmitter on the heli, I just need to sort how to get from the camera to the transmitter.

Can anyone recommend a website who deals with this?

Thanks.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macsgrafs

If you dont need sound, then a simple coaxial audio cable would do the trick, pop into your local Maplins & see what they have.

Ross

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Thanks Ross, but I'm not sure if I would need to use the USB or HD out. With HD there is the problem of converting the signal, I'm hoping it has some kind of feed out of the USB...

Regards,

Gunter.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Nikon j1 and immersion rc transmitter.

Hopefully that camera does video out, otherwise I'm stuck! I can't seem to find the spec anywhere.

Regards,

Gunter.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Ross, I have tried that but the cam hits the undercarriage when the main camera is tilted down. I might have to extend the gimbal downwards slightly.
Either that or use the HD converter.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Gunter.

AIRCONROB

Nikon j1 and immersion rc transmitter.

Hopefully that camera does video out, otherwise I'm stuck! I can't seem to find the spec anywhere.

Regards,

Gunter.

Gunter, I'm banging my head as to which camera to get, Sony NEX 5N or the Nikon J1, I've looked at both and i must admit the Nikon is growing on me, but if all that fails i might just go for the NEX 7 which then its on the par of the Nikon V1:dejection:. What made you go for the Nikon J1?

Cheers

Rob

Macsgrafs

Ross, I have tried that but the cam hits the undercarriage when the main camera is tilted down. I might have to extend the gimbal downwards slightly.
Either that or use the HD converter.

Thanks for the help!

Regards,

Gunter.

Well how about a mirror, fixed at 45 degrees reflecting the LCD & have the cam pointing at the mirror?

Ross

ZAxis

Gunter ....
Reading the manual it seems as if the only video out is via the HDMI port, none via the USB port . So you will need an HDMI to Composite converter plus a 5 volt power source for it. We use one on our NEX-5 and it does work well. You can get them off Amazon or eBay for around £50. Its about 200 gm weight but you can reduce it by throwing the case (~140 gm) away and wrapping the bare pcb with tape.
Its more weight and bulk to carry around but your craft is pretty heavy lift.

cheers
andy

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Gunter, I'm banging my head as to which camera to get, Sony NEX 5N or the Nikon J1, I've looked at both and i must admit the Nikon is growing on me, but if all that fails i might just go for the NEX 7 which then its on the par of the Nikon V1:dejection:. What made you go for the Nikon J1?

Cheers

Rob

Rob, The price swayed me towards the J1. It's a cracking camera which produces brilliant pics and video. It is pretty small, but feels good and solid in hand. For a bit more money the NEX5 is probably a bit better video wise, but I haven't compared the pictures between the 2. I shot the pic below with the J1

View attachment 2949

Gunter ....
Reading the manual it seems as if the only video out is via the HDMI port, none via the USB port . So you will need an HDMI to Composite converter plus a 5 volt power source for it. We use one on our NEX-5 and it does work well. You can get them off Amazon or eBay for around £50. Its about 200 gm weight but you can reduce it by throwing the case (~140 gm) away and wrapping the bare pcb with tape.
Its more weight and bulk to carry around but your craft is pretty heavy lift.

cheers
andy

Thanks Andy, I think I will have to go down that route. I did look at a few which were heavy but I will see about stripping it down. Do you have a model/make of the one you bought?

Cheers,

Gunter.

Attachments

• Banbury_pano.jpg
    Banbury_pano.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 186

ZAxis

Andy how big is the HDMI to composite board when out of its box?

Ross

I took off all the connectors other than the HDMI socket as well as discarding the case. Power and composite out connections were soldered directly to the PCB.
The PCB is 85x115x8 mm

I put it in a box with a Mondo Stinger 100mW Tx and a 5v regulator

View attachment 2950

Gunter ... There are several makes out there but they are all the same box rebadged. Just search for HDMI to Composite converter. Just make sure you don't end up with a HDMI to Component converter. Mine was a Kaaan.

andy

Attachments

• DSC01524s.jpg
    DSC01524s.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 160

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I took off all the connectors other than the HDMI socket as well as discarding the case. Power and composite out connections were soldered directly to the PCB.
The PCB is 85x115x8 mm

I put it in a box with a Mondo Stinger 100mW Tx and a 5v regulator

View attachment 4299

Gunter ... There are several makes out there but they are all the same box rebadged. Just search for HDMI to Composite converter. Just make sure you don't end up with a HDMI to Component converter. Mine was a Kaaan.

andy

Thanks Andy, I will first double check the video out works while recording (some cams don't!) with the telly, then I shall go shopping!

Macsgrafs

Cheers Andy, so it would be easy to cover in 4 inch heatshrink as well, that would be great for Gunter I'm sure.

Ross

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Perfect, I was wondering how I was going to get the cable in, my gimbal is a bit small.

I'll put some pics up when it's all done.

Thanks,

Gunter.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Got it all done with a bit of coaxing! Works a treat, pity it's raining now so I can't test it in the air :(

Regards,

Gunter.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330857768.293715.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330857768.293715.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 236
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330857797.606528.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330857797.606528.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 264

ZAxis

Got it all done with a bit of coaxing! Works a treat, pity it's raining now so I can't test it in the air :(

Regards,

Gunter.

The weather is sh*t here as well, puts paid to any test flying.
Nice job on the HDMI converter.

A couple of pics of my effort with an NEX-5 for comparison.

View attachment 3041View attachment 3042

andy

Attachments

• NEX-to-HDMI_1s.jpg
    NEX-to-HDMI_1s.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 170
  • NEX-to-HDMI_2s.jpg
    NEX-to-HDMI_2s.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 219