using the DJI Phantom 2 battery on a custom quadcopter

david

Hello,
Is it possible to use a DJI Phantom 2 battery on a custom quadcopter, as the flight time is a lot longer 20-25mins?

Thank you

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I wouldn't do that as this is a proprietary battery. Just design the aircraft from the start to take a cetain payload and then bias the payload to carrying batteries- then you will optimize lift. However before you even go there try this in order:

Decide on what imagery you wish to take
Decide which is the best camera/sensor for the task
Decide which gimbal is best for what you chose above
Design the airframe around the gimal plus any other requirements you have

In the meantime, as has been mentioned elsewhere, just go and build a small cheap quad as this is where you will learn quickest and ultimately probably in the cheapest manner too. Plus it will be a lot of fun!

david

I wouldn't do that as this is a proprietary battery. Just design the aircraft from the start to take a cetain payload and then bias the payload to carrying batteries- then you will optimize lift. However before you even go there try this in order:

Decide on what imagery you wish to take
Decide which is the best camera/sensor for the task
Decide which gimbal is best for what you chose above
Design the airframe around the gimal plus any other requirements you have

In the meantime, as has been mentioned elsewhere, just go and build a small cheap quad as this is where you will learn quickest and ultimately probably in the cheapest manner too. Plus it will be a lot of fun!
Thank you so much for the answer and having the patient to answer too. The next Questions I'll ask is when I'm buying and building the quad if I need help. Thank you again you have been great!

navycut81

Hello,
Is it possible to use a DJI Phantom 2 battery on a custom quadcopter, as the flight time is a lot longer 20-25mins?

Thank you

Hello, I still would do what Carapau recommended, but from personal experience you can re-purpose I dji smart battery to work with any multirotor that is big enough to fly it. But with this being said there is a marginal improvement on flight times. But its not worth buying a new smart battery to tear it apart to gain an extra 2-8 mins of addiational flight time.

But in my case I had a friend who crashed his phantom and the phantom wasn't recognizing the battery, so 10 dollars later I had a battery that would turn on but wouldn't work in a phantom 2

After tearing it apart I noticed the 2 pads for the smart port on the battery had shifted out of there designated spot. Im guessing from the impact with the ground.

I also noticed this wasn't your traditional 3 cell, it actually has 6 cells inside the battery.

Anyways long story short I just soldered on an xt60 connector with pigtais right to the pads on the battery and bam, a universial smart battery with built in balance board that can be charged with any 15v dc power supply, I just repurposed an old wall plug dc transformer into a adjustable buck converter

Attachments

• WIN_20150111_102906.JPG
    WIN_20150111_102906.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 329
  • WIN_20150111_102914.JPG
    WIN_20150111_102914.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 346
  • WIN_20150111_102933.JPG
    WIN_20150111_102933.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 320
  • WIN_20150111_102924.JPG
    WIN_20150111_102924.JPG