Used Mikrokopter for sale, what should I look out for?

FlyEYE

I'll be checking out a used Hexa Mikrokopter this weekend for purchase, apparently in perfect condition. Is there anything I should be paying particular attention to, any questions I should be asking? Are there any board versions/options I should avoid?

I'm new to multicopters, but have flow helicopters.
Thanks.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
flyEYE
there was a batch of ver. 2.1 flight control boards that had issues with how the gyros were mounted. here's a link to the discussion on the german forum where the "flip of death" issue is finally attributed to faulty gyro mounting.

http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-18336-8.html

you'll have to read a page or two before to get a better understanding but it would be worth it to understand the problem they're pointing out so you can see if the hexa you're looking at has the same issue.

if the fc board isn't ver 2.1 then you don't have to worry about it.

as for the rest of it, look at the construction of the boards for sound solder joints. were the boards built by the guy you're buying it from or did he buy them pre-assembled from a dealer?

will the weather be good enough to see him fly it for you? i wouldn't buy anything if i didn't have an opportunity to see if fly for a reasonable amount of time.

the older boards have limitations as to what versions of the software they can support and the older BL (brushless motor controllers, they're called ESC's everywhere else) boards have a lower current limit than the newer 2.0 version. if dennyR reads this maybe he can contribute to that point as he's done a lot of bench testing with various prop/battery combos and he's familiar with what the BL's can handle.

in general, look for neat assembly of the boards, wires, frame, etc and look for any evidence of crashes like broken board corners where the mounting holes are. a neat assembly should give some credibility to the construction of the boards if he did the solder work.

that's all i have. maybe someone else will add to it. good luck!
bart

Bartman

forgot to ask, where do you live? maybe someone is close enough to go with you. sorry we don't have more members yet but maybe someone will read this and be near enough.
bart

FlyEYE

Thanks for the info, that helps.
We'll see how it goes tomorow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also look at the BL-Ctrl's ... Are they BL-Ctrl 1.2 "RED" Esc or the MORE Powerful and upgradeable BL-Ctrl 2.0 BLACK ESC <<<< Important.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyEYE

Yes I ended up buying it. Looked well built, the guy flew it in rather windy weather and tested out GPS and alt hold settings which worked fine.
It had the 2.0 Board. I have my 9CHP with a spektrum module binded to it, so far have only hovered it in my basement will likely take it outside this weekend if the weather's ok.
The ESCs are the red ones (oh well), XAircraft, what limitations / issues should I be expecting? Reading up on it, looks like the black can handle upto 5s, so I guess I won't be lifting large cameras.

Is there a consolidated guide out there like the ""Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide" for the mikrokopter?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yes I ended up buying it. Looked well built, the guy flew it in rather windy weather and tested out GPS and alt hold settings which worked fine.
It had the 2.0 Board. I have my 9CHP with a spektrum module binded to it, so far have only hovered it in my basement will likely take it outside this weekend if the weather's ok.
The ESCs are the red ones (oh well), XAircraft, what limitations / issues should I be expecting? Reading up on it, looks like the black can handle upto 5s, so I guess I won't be lifting large cameras.

Is there a consolidated guide out there like the ""Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide" for the mikrokopter?

Unfortunately there is no consolidated guide for MikroKopters that you can reference however many of the current members on this forum also own MK's, myself included. Feel free to ask any questions you have and we'll help you out. You may want to start a new thread for things relating to how to fly and operate an MK so people logging in will see the topic.

Ken

Bartman

FlyEYE
Congrats on the purchase! Expect to spend long periods just staring at in amazement.
Feel free to start a new thread (or threads) and we'll help however we can.
Bart