Hoverfly Unable to setup 4.3.802. Setup Client 1.5.0.60 not available

Efliernz

Pete
I want to roll back to 4.3.802 and while I have flashed the board, I need the old Setup Client... which isn't available.

Any secrets I don't know about?

Pete

dzwiss

I think I saw George mention the latest version is a manual install. You have to uninstall the old version and install the new version for it to work properly.

David

Efliernz

Pete
I think I saw George mention the latest version is a manual install. You have to uninstall the old version and install the new version for it to work properly.

David

Thanks David

I removed the 4.6 client completely and the old client installed - happy now. I'm rolling back to 4.3.802.
I don't use the OSD voltage and I have 2 bad smashes on two machines despite 60 minutes of testing on each. I understand the tolerances/sweet-spot are smaller on 4.62r but I loved 4.3.802... so I am going back. I fly in wind a lot and 4.3.802 rocked in 30kph.

Pete

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Agreed, 802 is superior to anything I have ever flown on any fc on any craft. Hopefully they dont go Apple on us and make us update. Or better yet, make the new firmware as solid as the old one. It's odd to me that the manufacturer always has such great results but only half the users make it work. Same with any of these fc's. Look at Photo higher's skyline. They keep having great results but for some reason the second they get in the user's hands everything fails and acts erratically. I certainly don't think they are hiding anything or being malicious, it just seems to be the way of electronics and software changes.

Efliernz

Pete
I also bought the Skyline... and it sits there and twitches occasionally and rolls when I'm yawing. Once I build my new mount (mine got smashed with the RX100 thanks to 4.6r2), I need to get the RSGS perfectly straight - it has very small tolerances I suspect. Great in the lab... but in the hands of the humans...

HF seem so happy with the new firmware but I think this one may be frustrating more than other updates. I lost two machines to pitch oscillations while very slowly descending. I even had a flip going from slow fwd in manual and switching to AL. It did a pitch correction and then just rocked back/fwd bigger and bigger movements. Thankfully I was at 2'.

I think it is great that HF are always trying to improve their product but they do not declare all that they have altered in the update notes. Just the major bits... when actually they tweaked the entire flight characteristics. This is only apparent after several of us have lost machines. I have brought this up with them before but I'm sure they do not realise the frustration of the customers wondering "gee... I wonder what else has changed" when the notes say AL fixed, gimbal roll fixed.

Oh well... I will finish my rebuild. Stacky is visiting for a workshop tomorrow. His Hexa misbehaved last night and he excercised his skill in minimising damage...

Pete

Stacky

My Hexa misbehaved for the first time in 6 months of flying. I had done over 8 hours in the air according to my battery records. I have spent the last week just hovering around in the back yard testing gimbals and settings etc so havent been really pushing anything. I had no real problems and was just finding out the best props etc for this machine. I had found that my gains had needed to be halved from the previous firmware and that the range of flying gains was more narrow than before.
I went for a short hover last night to check the current draw between different props and all was going well. We have had a lot of wind lately and this was calm for the first time in ages so I decided to try the AH for the first time on the new firmware. I had seen others had problems so had put it off for a while but when I tried it the Hexa held altitude perfectly, only a little variation in altitude, probably the best I have had. I switched out of AH and then just hovered around at about 10 feet off the ground. I tried a few aggressive wiggles as I was wanting to see how it reacted before I pushed the gains up a few more clicks on the radio. I then went back to simply hovering and checking the current draw which was all fine and then I suddenly lost yaw control and the Hexa started to spin. Fortunately I was able to control it a bit and pushed the Hexa into some large bushes in the backyard and dumped it in a bush. No apparent damage that I could see. I should have off loaded the flight log but tried to see if i could get it airborne again and so lost that flight log. I had no luck getting it in the air, it just wants to tip over.

I took it inside and checked everything on the setup software. One thing I did notice was that my setup software throttle sliders were out of whack which is strange as i had set them previously when doing the upgrade. I have recalibrated those but wont test it again till I visit Pete tomorrow.

My first inclination is that its probably something other than firmware related as I have had a few weeks of no problems.

With respect to Petes comment about major changes it could be helpful if the HF team do make a note if they find on their own test machines that there are significant changes to gain settings with a firmware upgrade so that we can be prepared. I know I was really surprised that my gains had to be halved from about 60 on the previous firmware to 30's on the latest and that it appears to be a narrower set of gain values to get good flight.

Now the rain has cleared and i have a job on thats needing outdoor work. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Efliernz

Pete
VM-6 hexa rebuilt. Reflashed 4.3.802... yes it was raining but I had to test it. Yup... a standard boring very nice copter again. Throttle wasn't twitchy... very nice. No trim change required.

now all I need is the rain to stop and the Met Service to remove the severe thunderstorm warning for this afternoon!

Pete