UK CAA flight test

rotorvista

Took my flight test yesterday, decided to go for it even though it was a windy day but Passed! Get in there :) Great feeling and in time to finalise my website for the summer season

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Happy days! I hope that they are quicker at getting the paperwork through to you. It took me just over two months to get my paperwork once I had passed my flight test- inexcusable. I took my test at the end of May so perhaps they were busy. It took over a month for the paper work to leave EuroUSC and then a further month with the CAA.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Took my flight test yesterday, decided to go for it even though it was a windy day but Passed! Get in there :) Great feeling and in time to finalise my website for the summer season

Did you go BNUC-S or RPQ-S?

Really Angus, two months! I would have paced a hole in my carpet waiting for the postman by that time! :tennis: I waited 10 days with the RPQ-S. Naturally they have a much smaller work load as they are the new guys.

rotorvista

Cheers guys, I did it with EuroUSC BNUC S I actually did the ground school in May last year but the ops manual took forever to complete as it's so unclear, anyway I just phoned EuroUSC and have been told to expect between 4-8 weeks :(

They really need a better system than this..... one saving grace is the UK weather is so bad atm at least everything will be good to go once spring arrives

rotorvista

yep the hard bit's done now just more waiting...... lol Cheers Chris I actually thought I emailed you but guess I didn't

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Good stuff. Glad you got there. It is totally smoke and mirrors getting your first OM approved. I was one of the first and there was no template then. Once you are up and running it all seems like a bad dream come good. THEN twelve months on you have the renewal!

Good luck and hope you are successful enough in your first year to inspire you to keep going.

Dave

rotorvista

Yeah right so after approving my ops manual three times they now want me to do further amendments........ and wait another 2 weeks for them to assess the couple of paragraphs.... resource uk next time

Euro usc seem to make there own rules when it come to getting the paperwork done there end I've heard of a couple of people waiting months for the CAA permission, Im waiting to do my flight test once the weathers better and I don't want to be waiting months before I can work legal because Eurousc are to busy booking the next load of student on to the next course ££££££££££.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah right so after approving my ops manual three times they now want me to do further amendments........ and wait another 2 weeks for them to assess the couple of paragraphs.... resource uk next time

It would be good to here what they are asking you to amend. I think there is enough of us on here to be able to compare notes and say WOW! but he has that in his pops manual. If you don't want to publish what they are saying on here thats fine. If you want to PM me Ill take a look and advise

Dave

rotorvista

Eg they want me to include a section on ground control failure. I already have a section for tx battery failure and a section for loss of control frequency that covers it no? It's not the amendment I'm fussed with tho although having my ops manual already passed twice by EuroUSC and the flight examiner and having no recommendations for ops manual revision after the flight test they now come up with this new amendment but my gripe is that it's going to take another 2weeks for them to check this new amendment before passing my pfaw to the caa. That is unless they are not happy with my amendment in which case I will have to do it again and then wait a further 2weeks plus the 30 day minimum for the caa approval........

apollo11

i see some peoples here complaining about having issues with geting a permit to fly .
In Romania , the country where i am from they have banned the uav activity of any kind. they dont even alow planes or gliders to fly if they are heavyer then 1kg .
Damn they banned toys and a lot of my multirotor investition , they really destroyed all my work and research .
I know is a bit off topic but i wanted to say this somewhere out of Romania.

David

i see some peoples here complaining about having issues with geting a permit to fly .
In Romania , the country where i am from they have banned the uav activity of any kind. they dont even alow planes or gliders to fly if they are heavyer then 1kg .
Damn they banned toys and a lot of my multirotor investition , they really destroyed all my work and research .
I know is a bit off topic but i wanted to say this somewhere out of Romania.
David

Unlucky Dave, UAV can be banned anywhere at anytime the pilots doing it the correct way and getting CAA permission will be the ones who end up loosing and pay the price unfortunately.

HexaFlexa

I thought I'd chip in here, I too did my test through EuroUSC. I was actually there on the same days as Ben kenobi ( Hi ben) .and Jimmy Gixxer( Good luck Jimmy)... My Brother did his test the same day too.. We both did our flight tests on the same day, Our Ops manuals were as near identical as could be, and they went in 3 days apart.. My brothers got passed in about 2 weeks. mine never even got looked at for almost a month, then came back with ammendments needing doing.?? Even though it was the same as the one they had already passed.. So I jumped through a few more hoops as requested and re-submitted it.. 2 more weeks passed and no word. So I rang and asked what the hell was going on and was told " We are very busy" WTF?? Thats a nonsense I said, all they had to do was check 2 small ajustments and tick the box.. so after me calling every day and hassleing them they finally sent it off to the CAA.. The CAA then took their sweet time too, so after getting on for 2 months after my brother got his PFAW. I finally got mine.. and to add insult to injury my licence started from the day I did my flight test, so only had 10 months to run before i need to renew and pay yet more money.. I know this is a new field in which the powers that be are scrabbling to get some kind of control and regulation on things, but to be honest i think P!$$ up in a brewery springs to mind. !!
Rant over.!

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hey there yourself! You see why I jumped on the ResourceUAS band wagon?!

What's your real name HexaFlexa? Care to jog my memory? (I know, I'm the one person who uses their real name on the forums, but everyone thinks it's a fake name!)