UAV for Power Line Inspection

asela115

Hi,

We are studying the possibilities of using UAVs (drones) for power line inspection. Our requirement in this regard will be as follows,

1) visually inspect the equipments installed in the power line and get clear footage. Special application in this regard would be Insulator inspection where it is necessary to see whether insulators are failed, cracked or damaged

2) autonomous flight on a given path to see the vegetation in power distribution line (to see if trees are coming close to the line) - some commercial drones has the way-point navigation facility but not sure if they can detect obstacles in a given path

The intention is of above is the hot line application, where you don't need to shut your power line and do visual inspections while supply is on. This can save time, reduce downtime and increase safety of workers.

we have tested something like below

I have noted that most of the commercial suppliers manufactures are not recommending to fly UAVs near power lines. Hence it is doubtful if commercial drones can cater this type of application.

However there can be experts who has knowledge/information or can give us some guidance on this as this is a specific application (not just areal photography)

Looking for some advice on this

Regards,

Asela

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
This application opens a very intresting possibility of "energy harvesting" multirotor powered by the electromagnetic field around the power line.

dazzab

This application opens a very intresting possibility of "energy harvesting" multirotor powered by the electromagnetic field around the power line.
How cool would that be? Copter batteries getting low and it automatically seeks out the nearest power lines, hovers over them for a a few minutes and off it goes. :)

asela115

thanks to Buzz_Roavr and hexhome.
I got some contacts from these suppliers and we are writing to them.

will share useful information once we receive them

dazzab

@fmkit - Is that a typical inspection? Awesome flying and I've never seen shots zoomed in like that before. Do they also use stills? I'd assume that stills would have much higher res. But that video is great. What kind of setup was used?

asela115

fmkit : your second video on HV pole inspection is interesting.
I assume it is a live line inspection. Do you know the copter use in that video. Can it fly safely while the presence of heavy electromagnetic interference of HV line?

fmkit

I've never noticed glitches while flying in between HV lines, AC has no effect on compass. If birds can sit wires quad can touch them too :)

asela115

well, the reason I asked this question was due to the response I received from local DJI support team as follows.

"it is strongly NOT recommended to fly the drone near the power lines for safety issue, because the compass would be severely affected by the power lines which may cause serious incident"

But what "fmkit" was explained is interesting. I have searched details on effect of AC on compass. At a higher frequency (50 Hz) the compass doesn't make any reflection with the presence of AC current.

So I'm wondering what could be the reason that most drone manufacturers are not recommending to fly near power lines (are they assuming the current drawn in the power lines are DC )?

tstrike

pendejo grande
that was SONY CX210 w/2axis gimbal,
sometimes even Mobius can be useful
This is very cool and a great use for a 1 kilo quad. Is the guy that's in the video the actual line inspector and the thing in his hand control the gimbal for his camera? Very exciting, I just saw a photo of a uav pilot that works for a utility company in San Diego, the guy was holding what looked like a 250 size quad with a fixed camera.
Are you guys able to be precise enough to complete the inspection to the same quality you would get doing a man up the pole inspection?

fmkit

@ asela115, try your RC link next to Arc welding , arc causes wide spectrum EMI and may break your RC link even if its modern frequency hopping system. I'm using non-hopping UHF link, with packets 3ms long you can't notice short glitches, link established near instantly (frequency hopping links take 102s to sinc) , if you're lucky to find problematic pole with arcs you risk to crash right there.
tstrike, its all experimental for now, nody makes big $$ yet

DroneHobbiest

Drones are my hobby
Interesting usage! Sounds like it would take a while to get approved, however, as any accidental crash into the power line could do a lot more harm than good.

redram04

I am building a big multi right now for this exact purpose, havent picked a flight controller yet and am curious about what others think the EMF will do to the electronics. I have purchased a Graupner RX/TX, hope it wont loose signal when close to HV lines. Is the UHF a better system to run that froquency hopping ?

Thanks