Uav drones

Paul7060

Question from a new guy . Why is it that multi rotors are referred to as Drones . When they are flown from the ground. By a pilot on the ground using a remote control device/radio.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
How do you think things like Predator, Global Hawk and the rest are flow? Funnily enough, from a bloke, on the ground using a remote device. The only difference is the quality and the range of the comms link, oh and the price!

The word drone was originally used for the military because they were the only people using them and it stems from when they started using remote aircraft for missile target practice and they were really nothing more than what you see at your local RC club in terms of tech etc.

Move forward a few years and the same remotely piloted aircraft have started to be used in the civilian sector but the word drone has already been coined for these sort of aircraft. Drone was and indeed still is widely considered by many to be a device used by the military for killing and surveillance but because of the way the media is now using the word so freely against any remote aircraft in the sky, the perception of 'drone' is changing. The public are now getting more and more aware that drones are not necessarily evil military machines and that there are many very useful, peaceful civilian applications- look at the Amazon PR stunt. Give it another year and the public will be fully on board drones being both civil and military, just like the term 'a jet'.

This time last year I was very anti the word drone in fact even a couple of months back I was still pertty anti. But considering whenever I try and explain what I do the explanation always ends with 'oh, you fly drones.......how cool.....how much, how high, and how far can you fl.........etc' or words to that effect, I have come round to the fact that the term is becoming more and more acceptable. Let's face it, think of another word that brings such instant recognition to what these aircraft are. I have tried long and hard and there isn't. So, I am now embracing the term and I would hartily recommend everyone do the same!