Two Questions: GPS mount upside down? Can you use a metal shaft for GPS

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
F450 quad - NAZA - GPS - GoPro
I saw a link where the editor/writer mounted the GPS upside down to keep the bulk of the F450 smaller. http://flitetest.com/articles/f450-quadcopter-fun
If possible, do you use the same configuration on the setup to achieve proper orentation????
Has anyone done this to their quad??
How much can one shorten the shaft on the GPS before getting into trouble?
Can you use a metal shaft to facilitate easy removal yet positive orentation during flight?
What have you done to facilitate easy removal and mounting of the GPS to make storage easier with the smaller package?
OK, I did the math and even I know that this is more than two questions - so I lie, OK?

Razzil

You can mount the GPS pretty much anywhere, just as long as the assistant software knows the exact GPS x,y,z measurements.
Try it on an Arm, or cut that fiberglass dowel to keep it lower ... have a look at mine.

View attachment 11283 View attachment 11284

The arrow on the GPS has to be facing fowards and moved to the correct directon a few degrees, to avoid any Toilet Bowel Effect issues when in GPS mode.
You can read more about that in the manual.

Attachments

• GPS1.jpg
    GPS1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 453
  • GPS2.jpg
    GPS2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 626

yeehaanow

You can't mount it upside down.
You can use a metal shaft as long as it's aluminum, or a non-ferrous metal.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Yeah if it is upside down won't it switch left and right? If you still have the GPS unit facing upwards you can have it where you want with appropriate adjustments in assistant.

I have my GPS module mounted in typical location with Velcro on the module itself. Makes for easy removal and adjustment for magnetic declination.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Yeah, the GPS needs to be mounted the correct way up. One thing I did with my fiberglass pole, was to crimp the aluminum mounts to the pole. This allows me to move the gps for declination, and remove it if need be, it does not vibrate loose or anything.... worked out pretty well for me. Some have Velcro'ed them to the top plate without a mount, some have used double sided pads, but it MUST be mounted and aligned correctly.

Nicodema

F450 quad - NAZA - GPS - GoPro
I saw a link where the editor/writer mounted the GPS upside down to keep the bulk of the F450 smaller. http://flitetest.com/articles/f450-quadcopter-fun
If possible, do you use the same configuration on the setup to achieve proper orentation????
Has anyone done this to their quad??

Hi,
look at that pic again and you'll notice the whole craft is upside down, so that he can check that the prop spinners hit the ground before the GPS.

Enjoy

martyn

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
Hi,
look at that pic again and you'll notice the whole craft is upside down, so that he can check that the prop spinners hit the ground before the GPS.

Enjoy

martyn
OK.........color me stupid. I got so excited at the though of having the GPS tucked away and making the total package a bit easier to store in transit.
I like the idea of the crimping of the aluminum base. I'll try that. I also use a piece of velcro strap to wrap around the cord to the GPS and the GPS shaft that takes the slack out of the cord and so that in itself puts a downward pressure on the shaft to keep it from hopping out.
Had it hop out once and I did some of the most far out aerobatics you'd ever want to see......until I got it back under control and on the ground. Several watching thought I was really good until they saw the blood starting to start flowing through my system again and giving me color again.